Teaching in Taiwan as a non-native English speaker

Teach legally, yes maybe but not English. How about Malay?

Sorry wasn’t not meaning to imply ( she? ) could get a work permit teaching English as a Singaporean. IF IF IF big if right?

Yes it is just the law and the way the cookie crumbles.[/quote]

:notworthy:

Nah I’ve done far better than that :roflmao:[/quote]
Oddly enough, in your way your sure have. :thumbsup:

You still aint teaching my kid Chinese though… :wink:[/quote]

No I’ll be teaching him how to tackle properly. :whistle:

Sat, terima kasih tapi saya (M) tidak tahu cakap Melayu …

I am trying to be as objective as I can, for written English, I do not mind my kid to be taught by a Sigaporean, however, for spoken English, I would think twice for reasons cited by most members here in this forum. So, I guess I should not think about teaching English anymore.

I have another question: Are the qualifications required the same for teaching Business English to adults?

[quote=“Desperado1999”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

[/quote]
Sat, terima kasih tapi saya (M) tidak Dahu cakap Melayu …

I am trying to be as objective as I can, for written English, I do not mind my kid to be taught by a Sigaporean, however, for spoken English, I would think twice for reasons cited by most members here in this forum. So, I guess I should not think about teaching English anymore.

I have another question: Are the qualifications required the same for teaching Business English to adults?[/quote]

I would ask about teaching business management, not English per se. I would assume a business degree would be fine.

Regarding STV teaching Chinese…

I have known MANY native Chinese speakers who were employed to teach EFL/ESL in the US or UK, mostly during MA studies. Under UK law, employers are NOT ALLOWED to discriminate against non-native speakers for EFL positions (as long as they have a sufficient knowledge of the language to do the job, obviously).

I read one article about postgrad students from China being assigned to teach English composition to native speaker American undergrads. Apparently the students appreciated the cross-cultural contribution but were none too happy about their teachers’ bad pronunciation and grammar.

[quote=“Desperado1999”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

[/quote]
Sat, terima kasih tapi saya (M) tidak Dahu cakap Melayu …

I have another question: Are the qualifications required the same for teaching Business English to adults?[/quote]

Yes, as long as your visa is based on a work permit based on teaching English under the authority of a certain institution that is allowed to hire a foreigner to perform such activities.

You are facing this the wrong way. You are thinking what you can do. You have to turn the tables around: which company can actually hire you and get you a work visa so that you can work legally here. The part that depends on you is filling up the requisites to be a candidate suitable to obtain a work visa.

You can work at a trading company, for instance, that deals with Malasya and requires someone with your experience and language abilities. You can be hired as a dorm administrator, engineer consultant, etc. anything else. And you have great English ability making you very desirable -and hence expensive- in other positions.

IMVHO, I think non-native speakers teaching adults is a very good idea. The wider the range of accents that an adult learner is exposed to the better, I think (as long as the teacher has a good grasp of grammar etc). :2cents:

[quote=“smithsgj”]Regarding STV teaching Chinese…

I have known MANY native Chinese speakers who were employed to teach EFL/ESL in the US or UK, mostly during MA studies. Under UK law, employers are NOT ALLOWED to discriminate against non-native speakers for EFL positions (as long as they have a sufficient knowledge of the language to do the job, obviously).

I read one article about postgrad students from China being assigned to teach English composition to native speaker American undergrads. Apparently the students appreciated the cross-cultural contribution but were none too happy about their teachers’ bad pronunciation and grammar.[/quote]

Yes and I know one Aussie who taught advanced Japanese in an Australian University who now lives in Taiwan.

Bismarck is just a bit afraid to admit a non native speaker might actually be able to teach better than a local. :popcorn:

Taiwanese HATE it when I assume that I have to teach them how to teach me Chinese. Like you STV, you could teach me how to speak Chinese but I’d DEFINITELY have to teach you how first, I can tell. I bet you’d hate that. :laughing:

Not a local, a native speaker.
And no, but the chances of finding a non-native speaker vs finding a native speaker that can teach a given language is not good. I didn’t say it was impossible. And the more difficult the language, the harder it becomes to find a non-native speaker with the necessary skills. Sure, there are non-native speakers, like Ironlady with Chinese, who are up to the task, but you’re not going to find her ilk on every corner. Besides which, the OP was asking if he/she could teach English in Taiwan. Besides the legal issues, the OP makes more grammatical and spelling errors than you, and that’s saying something. :whistle:

Not a local, a native speaker. And no, but the chances of finding a non-native speaker vs finding a native speaker that can teach a given language is not good. I didn’t say it was impossible. And the more difficult the language, the harder it becomes to find a non-native speaker with the necessary skills. Sure, there are non-native speakers, like Ironlady with Chinese, who are up to the task, but you’re not going to find her ilk on every corner. Besides which, the OP was asking if he/she could teach English in Taiwan. Besides the legal issues, the OP makes more grammatical and spelling errors than you, and that’s saying something. :whistle:[/quote]

Ah but we are not here to assess my brilliance with the English prose laddy. Hers is fine it’s the keyboard making all those errors you see.

Not a local, a native speaker. And no, but the chances of finding a non-native speaker vs finding a native speaker that can teach a given language is not good. I didn’t say it was impossible. And the more difficult the language, the harder it becomes to find a non-native speaker with the necessary skills. Sure, there are non-native speakers, like Ironlady with Chinese, who are up to the task, but you’re not going to find her ilk on every corner. Besides which, the OP was asking if he/she could teach English in Taiwan. Besides the legal issues, the OP makes more grammatical and spelling errors than you, and that’s saying something. :whistle:[/quote]

Ah but we are not here to assess my brilliance with the English prose laddy. Hers is fine it’s the keyboard making all those errors you see.[/quote]
Ha! Knew you were still awake! :roflmao:

Ha! Knew you were still awake! :roflmao:[/quote]

We GODS never sleep.