Teaching in Taiwan..can I bring my g/f with me?

Hi all,

I am currently living and teaching in Thailand but thinking about moving to Taiwan to teach. I am in a relationship and if I moved there I would want my partner to come with me. She is a Thai national and would be dependant on me. So, my question is, is it possible for her to obtain a visa to stay in Taiwan with me or should I just forget about this idea? By the way we are gay.

check out the visa requirements for Thai nationals. i’m sure she could always come in on a two month visitor visa and do visa runs like a lot of people here. or, she could sign up for language school and get a student visa which means she wouldn’t have to leave so often. she won’t be able to get an ARC for teaching english like you would, though. i doubt you’ll have to leave her behind. there’s always a way… this is taiwan.

you should call the taiwanese defacto embassy in Bangkok and find out the requirements.

[quote=“outandproud”]Hi all,

I am currently living and teaching in Thailand but thinking about moving to Taiwan to teach. I am in a relationship and if I moved there I would want my partner to come with me. She is a Thai national and would be dependant on me. So, my question is, is it possible for her to obtain a visa to stay in Taiwan with me or should I just forget about this idea? By the way we are gay.[/quote]

The current law does not recognise de facto partnerships such as yours and therefor if you were granted an ARC your partner would not be able to be granted a spouse visa.