Teaching in Taiwan

Hello. I am new to this forum and am interested in suggestions for teaching in Taiwan. I have a Master’s degree in Applied Linguistics and TESOL. This will be my first teaching experience and I’m wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for me? A school willing to pay my accomodation and airfare would be preferred. Feel free to email me directly at casa70@hotmail.com
Thank you for your help.
J

Hello, I have a suggestion.
Try using the SEARCH FUNCTION.

javaj79,

Take Josefus’ suggestion as it was intended - helpful. You’ll get a lot more just by reading the threads than asking for advice. Once you’ve soaked up that information, then you’ll be in a better position to ask specific questions instead of open-ended ones.

Cheers,

And if Josefus’ image wasn’t enough, there’s always this.

well, thanks for making this a pleasant experience.

Java wrote [quote] A school willing to pay my accomodation and airfare would be preferred. [/quote]
This is very unusual in Taiwan, but quite common with ESL jobs in Korea. Unless you have a specific reason for coming to Taiwan, Korea would probably be a better choice as salaries are higher (plus, as mentioned, there are more benefits).

one problem (as alluded to above) is that your questions are really open-ended, without giving any information about what you are looking for.

you have a master’s … are you looking for work in a university/college? most of them will have completed most of their hiring by now. are you looking for a cram school - i know a few who pay for your flight and accom. if you stay for a year.

if you could perhaps be a little clearer in your wants, then people can be of more help. the usual way of going about this is to search the existing information first, before asking people to repeat it because you don’t know how/want to search for it. that’s reality on the vast majority of posting boards …

crappy forums (here is much better), but a good place to look for a job is http://www.tealit.com

[quote=“Josefus”]Hello, I have a suggestion.
Try using the SEARCH FUNCTION.

[/quote]

lol - ya’ll are mean.
But then again most other forums are much meaner.
I’ve seen people banned for asking that sort of thing.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I’m afraid you’ve a lot to learn. They don’t teach you much about the real world in college do they?

Not that your request is unreasonable but there are thousands of english teachers out here…

You may get your airfare re-imbursed if you complete you’re contract but not likely to have ti paid so you can come on over here. Some scholls may assist with accomodation for the short term but pay it for you long term… Not a fat chance.

In My Humble Opinion… of course

Here’s a link to a thread that discusses living in school-provided accomodations:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ns+teacher](Accepting Housing from the School

I’ve never heard of any school in Taiwan willing to reimburse airfare, much less pay it in advance. Many schools have accomodations that go with the job. I recommend you find a job without accomodations included, and find your own. The accomodations that go with jobs are usually substandard. Your pay is reduced to cover the school’s cost of the apartment, in my experience I could have found a much nicer apartment for less.

Furthermore, if anything happens and you end up without a job, you also lose the apartment. The employer will expect you out the same day. You don’t need the added stress of looking for a new job AND a new apartment at the same time (been there, done that).

Dunno about airfare but have never heard of any school paying it for a new comer.
A school in Taoyuan called Gloria gives foreigners free “bedrooms” in the first year. It is basically a dormitory with individual rooms. Most foreign teachers I knew didn’t like living there but wouldn’t mind having one as a store room or a place to rest during breaks if they taught in the headquarters where the dormitory was.

Dunno about airfare but have never heard of any school paying it for a new comer.
A school in Taoyuan called Gloria gives foreigners free “bedrooms” in the first year. It is basically a dormitory with individual rooms. Most foreign teachers I knew didn’t like living there but wouldn’t mind having one as a store room or a place to rest during breaks if they taught in the headquarters where the dormitory was.[/quote]

those bedrooms are 5 star compared to what was offered some 8 years ago. :laughing: it ain’t the ritz, but better than having nothing when you come (espeically as taoyuan doesn’t have much in the way of relaly cheap accom.). some people manage to live out a year there …

GES also offers a return flight home after your first year - PM me if anyone is interested.