Teaching Market Given Wuhan Virus Situation in Taiwan

On the other hand, can we buck the global trend forever?

1 Like

As soon as Taiwanese mothers get over their racism of Filipinos (~but Taiwan is so progressive~) the market will be flooded with them. They’ll have no problem teaching for 48,000 NT a month. Of course, this might not fly in Taipei, but you can bet your binglang that the frugality of those that live in Taipei County of even Taizhong wouldn’t care about the possibility of their kids speaking English with a Jollybees Twang

This is probably why teachers need to unionize. I don’t think there’s anything in the labor act preventing it.

2 Likes

That’s a nice wage. Where is that being offered?

1 Like

to set a higher minimum wage for foreign English teachers at buxibans? I’m not sure it is ok foreigners organize a union on their initiative. You might need someone with citizenship.

Though, the wage requirement wouldn’t be applied to people from Philippines with marriage ARC etc.

Can you imagine the bitching about having to pay union dues?

3 Likes

True, but:

a) how many of them are there, especially in the education field?
b) how many of them teach?

1 Like

Filipinos. They already hire them when they could hire locals.

People have been saying things like this about more than Filipinos for over 15 years. The main roles I’ve known Filipinos to fill is in public school FET programs if they are qualified teachers. In buxibans, I’ve known a few but it’s rarer. The English teacher job market supply and demand has been just balanced enough to keep salaries about the same. This virus isn’t going to quickly change it.

3 Likes

I guess not few people from Philippines do tutoring. not so many in buxibans now, but my question is, if the current situation will cause shortage of English teachers, will buxibans hire Filipinos to fill the vacancy?

In my experience, more likely Russians, laws or not.

okay, so how do they go from factory worker/domestic helper to teacher? do you really think the parents will go for it? and even so, how many would even WANT to teach English? A lot of them don’t feel confident enough already with their general English abilities, I doubt many would go into teaching. My point is that it’s unlikely to happen and I’m not putting Filipino teachers down, I’m sure there are many great teachers (ones who have worked and trained as such) from the Philippines. However, I doubt many already here would change careers just like that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They would have to come from the pool of Filipinos who are already here. I don’t know how many of them have degrees given they are primarily factory workers and carers.

can we get off the buxiban stuff already? this thread wasn’t meant to be about those. If you’re a native speaker, have lived here for years and still work at this type of job primarily for 600-650 an hour, you have to do some serious thinking about your life and where it’s going. Upgrade your skill set and do something better for God’s sake.

This thread is supposed to focus on private schools, international schools, universities and to a lesser extent public schools.

I get paid $1000 an hour.

2 Likes

some people prefer well paid buxiban jobs rather than under paid school/university jobs.

3 Likes

Many buxi jobs provide wider flexibility than a University job and don’t require sitting in an office for face for hours in your day. Get in, teach, get out and enjoy your life

2 Likes

I literally got my background check result the day before they closed the FBI background checks. This is truly my lucky week… lol.

1 Like

Better knock on wood. There’s still all kinds of shit that could go wrong. :sunglasses:

This I know to be true … lol.

That was not at all clear from the title or early posts (except for the word “especially” which implies a particular problem exists within a broader topic but doesn’t exclude the broader topic from consideration) , and that’s the conversation now so maybe you need to start a new thread for the teachers you don’t think are losers.
Anyway, one industry affects the other. There’s quite a lot of people who split their time between the two, buxibans and other schools, as well.

There may be a shortage of teachers, but it’s not likely to make a big impact or last long. The FBI thing only affects Americans, and it’s a temporary measure. People who have been here for awhile don’t need it to get a job as they can get local clearance, though I think it’s still needed for an APRC which might delay a few people, including me, if it lasts long enough. Buxibans might hire a few more non-white teachers, schools requiring qualifications will hire who they can get, and by the first semester of 2021 nothing will be different than before. I expect things will be almost normal the first semester of 2020, provided summer kills this virus the way it did with SARS, but that’s not certain yet. In any case, people aren’t going to be avoiding the one country that was the safest during a crisis. Provided things don’t get bungled, there’s no invasion, and nothing else goes wrong. It’s possible we’ll get swamped with teachers looking for jobs in a safer environment. A massive recession is predicted. There may be more teachers, but less demand.

2 Likes