Teaching or any job in Taiwan

Ok my background(parents taiwanese) is Taiwanese but born in USA however grew up in taiwan until early teens. My writing in chinese is pretty poor now however I can speak and read pretty well. I have a college degree from an average university in usa. Degree was kinda human factor/psychology. I am wondering what kind of job can I get considering my situation. If I teach English like what kind of teaching I can do. I heard teaching english you get pay pretty decent? so…any help will be appreciated…I probably going back to do family business…and just wondering what other jobs are there available for me…

David

Your US college degree will qualify you to legally teach English in Taiwan. Buxibans are the biggest employers. Unfortunately, some students/employers give preference to those who look like they come from English speaking countries (that is, white). However, don’t let that stop you. ABC or not, if you can speak English, it’s pretty easy to find work. Being bilingual and bicultural is a big plus, too. Read through the archives to find out about what kinds of teaching jobs are out there. Good luck!

okaythen01,

Your situation is better than mine. I was born in Taiwan but left when I was 5. My Mandarin is only 3rd grade elementary level, I am fluent at conversation level but can’t read (only comic books or everyday words, but not newspaper) or write. I decided to come back hopefully to improve on my Chinese and learn more about my own country. You would definitely have no problems trying to find any type of jobs here. Post up your resume at www.104.com.tw. Or be a teacher. I would suggest be a teacher cuz’ pay is higher per hour (compared to salaried worker’s), won’t get yelled at by constipated boss, no need for overtime, etc. But then, thats my opinion =)

okaythen01,

Your situation is better than mine. I was born in Taiwan but left when I was 5. My Mandarin is only 3rd grade elementary level, I am fluent at conversation level but can’t read (only comic books or everyday words, but not newspaper) or write. I decided to come back hopefully to improve on my Chinese and learn more about my own country. You would definitely have no problems trying to find any type of jobs here. Post up your resume at www.104.com.tw. Or be a teacher. I would suggest be a teacher cuz’ pay is higher per hour (compared to salaried worker’s), won’t get yelled at by constipated boss, no need for overtime, etc. But then, thats my opinion =)