Teaching with Shane School of English in Changhua

Hello everyone.

I’ve taken a position with Shane School of English in Taiwan, and will arrive in Taipei for training in three weeks. It’s my first time in Taiwan, and will also be my first time teaching English, though I have a BA in English and a TEFL certificate. I’ll be teaching at three schools in Changhua City, Yuanlin and Homei. I know this is a bit much to ask, but does anyone on the forums have experience with Shane in Changhua, or happen to be teaching with them currently? If so, what are your experiences with Shane and Changhua generally? I know that’s probably very general, but any and all advice and feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

I’ve done a lot of research on Taiwan, but I’m still uncomfortably aware I don’t know as much as I’d like. I really want to make a good impression in this, my first TEFL job, and would appreciate anything people have to say, as it would be a great help. Thank you.

Make sure they provide a separate work permit for each school. They’ll likely apply for one permit only and send you to three schools - be aware that that is illegal and puts you at risk of deportation if caught teaching at a school that you don’t have a work permit for.

Although I rarely agree with CFI, he is 110% correct here. :blush:

You need a work permit with the details of each branch you work for.

They will probably give you a long story about why they only have one work permit for you. Do not fall for it.

If are caught at a school you do not have a permit for you will probably get deported.

Lets not get into the chances of this happening. Just be aware.

I know someone who is working for a Shane down there, and I bet you’ll be working for the same owner. My friend is getting paid $460 per hour, lower than anyone I’ve ever heard about, and the boss is holding a percentage of his salary and then giving it to him as a “bonus” at the end of contract, which is illegal, I think. I wouldn’t work for that person, if I were you, she sounds like a crook.

Thank you, both of you, for pointing that out. While I had heard about the permit issue, I assumed that Shane would have it covered and I’m a little worried to see they may not. And thank you also Superguavaguy - while my Shane contact has been through a man in their office thus far who seems quite helpful, I’ve had no contact with the franchise owner herself. I know she is a woman, so odds are good it’s the same person your friend is talking about. In the contract Shane originally sent me it stated I would be getting $550 an hour - is there any way to protest if they undercut you like that?

I live in Changhua and have known many people that have worked at Shane. Send me a private message if you want more information. I’ll gladly tell you stories offline of what I have heard. :slight_smile:

But if you do make it down here, always willing to meet new people. Let me know and we can grab a burger or beer or … whatever you eat or drink.

Matt

Clarified with my Shane contact, who indicated I’d primarily be working at the Ho Mei branch, with the other two being on a ‘cover’ basis. The details of the permit will be arranged when in Taiwan, so it looks like I 'll just have to wait and see on that one.

yo

I’m the head-teacher at Shane Changhua. Since you and I’ll be working together, send me a PM and I’ll tell you everything you want to know and answer all your questions.

Also I’m calling B.S. on this. I’ve never heard of any teacher making anything less than $560 an hour in the three years I’ve worked at Shane, and I’m privy to such info. What’s you friend’s name supergravy? If your right and I’m wrong, I’d like to find out what the hell is going on and try to help out.

Also I’m calling B.S. on this. I’ve never heard of any teacher making anything less than $560 an hour in the three years I’ve worked at Shane, and I’m privy to such info. What’s you friend’s name supergravy? If your right and I’m wrong, I’d like to find out what the hell is going on and try to help out.[/quote]

Never heard of $460 an hour at Shane either.

[quote=“Puppet”]

Never heard of $460 an hour at Shane either.[/quote]

Head Office wouldn’t allow it. They are a pretty straight-up organisation and they make sure that their franchisees follow the rules. If anyone is being paid that then they just need to contact their ADOS and he’ll sort out the problem.

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“Puppet”]

Never heard of $460 an hour at Shane either.[/quote]

Head Office wouldn’t allow it. They are a pretty straight-up organisation and they make sure that their franchisees follow the rules. If anyone is being paid that then they just need to contact their ADOS and he’ll sort out the problem.[/quote]
$560/hr is still crap. Most of their teachers are newbies, right?

Yeah, I certainly am…

[quote=“funkymonkey”]
$560/hr is still crap. Most of their teachers are newbies, right?[/quote]

Everyone’s got to start somewhere :slight_smile: . I still think that they are a good starting school for newbs because they have a support system which, on the whole, works and they tend to offer block teaching hours. The teaching method is pretty straight-forward for people who don’t know what they’re doing - standard PPP stuff. Highly ineffective but easy to do and the punters like it :laughing: . I don’t think many newbs pick up much more than 600 an hour at the moment for a gig with block hours.

quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“funkymonkey”]
$560/hr is still crap. Most of their teachers are newbies, right?[/quote]

Everyone’s got to start somewhere :slight_smile: . I still think that they are a good starting school for newbs because they have a support system which, on the whole, works and they tend to offer block teaching hours. The teaching method is pretty straight-forward for people who don’t know what they’re doing - standard PPP stuff. Highly ineffective but easy to do and the punters like it :laughing: . I don’t think many newbs pick up much more than 600 an hour at the moment for a gig with block hours.[/quote]

Was going to reply in PM, but figure here is just as good.

I actually usually recommend starting at a chain school. If you know nothing about teaching or the country, you’re likely to at least get here, more likely to meet foreigners, and less likely to get a sudden “we don’t need you” email from the company a week before you start. (Actually happened to a guy coming to work in a school in Changhua I used to work for). Once you get here and make contacts, find jobs that way.

Most people I knew didn’t stay with Shane, largely because of their pay. That’s not just Changhua…it’s other places. I’d look into the work permit for every location. It’s easy for a school to do that, but many don’t.

When you get here, let me know. Will still grab a burger with you and let you know all the places to hang out.

Matt

I’d say Shane is a pretty decent way to get into teaching in Taiwan, as others have suggested. I worked for NOVA in Japan, ugh, what a mess of an organization. Shane can depend franchise to franchise, but if you go to one that has been running at least a year or two you should have a great time. As others say, also a good way to meet a few foreigners upon arrival. I met one of my best mates through working at Shane.

That’s good to know. Thank you for your that Matt, it’s really helped. :slight_smile: And yes, would still be up for a burger. Once I’ve been here a bit and am a bit less disorientated I’ll likely PM you on here to discuss meeting. And thanks as well Superking, that’s much appreciated advice. Thanks everyone!

[quote=“The LawBA”]Hello everyone.

I’ve taken a position with Shane School of English in Taiwan, and will arrive in Taipei for training in three weeks. It’s my first time in Taiwan, and will also be my first time teaching English, though I have a BA in English and a TEFL certificate. I’ll be teaching at three schools in Zhanghua City, Yuanlin and Homei. I know this is a bit much to ask, but does anyone on the forums have experience with Shane in Zhanghua, or happen to be teaching with them currently? If so, what are your experiences with Shane and Zhanghua generally? I know that’s probably very general, but any and all advice and feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

I’ve done a lot of research on Taiwan, but I’m still uncomfortably aware I don’t know as much as I’d like. I really want to make a good impression in this, my first TEFL job, and would appreciate anything people have to say, as it would be a great help. Thank you.[/quote]

You won’t know if you will hit the ground and run until you hit the ground and have to run. :smiley: The training week is pretty fun and you will learn how they structure lessons, and so on. It sounds like you need to make sure you are not at those three schools on the same day. It could be mad going from one to another. If they are all on separate days no worries. If they are on the same day get travel expenses out of them! :slight_smile:

Hey everyone,

I was just offered a position in Hsinchu with Shane & was wondering if anyone had worked at that branch & could share if it was a good one or not? Also, I know very little about the place - could somebody tell me if it’s a very good place for an expat to live? I’m not looking for a place to party like the dickens at but I wouldn’t mind there being somewhat of a nightlife as well as a decent community of English-speakers to hang out with.

Thanks!

One place you might want to check out is just outside Hsin Chu in Jhu Bei. It’s called Titty Tea and all I can recommend at this point. The owner is really great and might be able to tell you a good list of places in Hsinchu. Try their Austrian beer while you’re at it. Tell him Matt, the ventriloquist, sent you.