Tealit.com - The OTHER Taiwan website

I thought about it, but I’m still not sure if that was trolling or a joke.

Here’s another tealit anomaly. I have been trying to place an ad on their “Looking for Teachers” board for 3 weeks. Because we are not an official school, they wouldn’t accept our copy. So, we gave them the official school paperwork (we DBA a number of entities). Still no answer. I call them daily to check on the disposition of our ad. No one can answer me. They tell me they will look into it and get back to me. They don’t. This has been going on for 2 weeks now.

The unfortunate thing of it is, regardless of how we feel about their “professionalism”, they are still the best resource for “classifieds”. I advertised my apartment here and got 2 or 3 bites over a week period. I advertised it there and got about 15 hits in 2 days, one of which paid off. When I was recruiting teachers for a small kindy last year, I would get 5 or 10 rezzies a day.

Tis most unfortunate.

38 Shaking Heads

That might be a result of our demographics. Forumosans tend to be well-established, compared to their TeaLit brethren, so the demand for housing is probably higher over there. Same goes for jobs. I got my car on Forumosa. I wonder if there is a market for the same thing on TeaLit? Ah, it doesn’t matter. We’ve taken a lot of their target market, and we’ll take more.

We’ve got personality. :smiley:

I would like to launch a shock and awe message board bombardment on tealit.I’ll end all my posts with "if you want some non retarded information see www.forumosa.com.

the problem is
a. it’s stupid
b. I type like a pregnant gorilla wearing oven mitts
3. I’m afraid I might get blocked and miss out on some hot chick “missed conections ad” who spotted me on the mrt and wants to get in touch with me.

if anyone sees this ad I get first dibbs.

It was a joke. Evidently not a good one.

:loco:
I have had similar experiences at Tealit. I was posting a thread for organized downhill mountain rides on Sundays and my thread kept getting erased. After like the third time I contacted Tealit and asked why via email.
No reply, of course, so I tried again, and again and again, finally I got a reply and I quote “fuck Off”

Hmmmmmmm… so I guess it is bad to try and gather ex-pats who love to ride, contravenes some sort of tealitian law of ethical behavior I guess.

dingleberries

:unamused:

Would it be bad to consider loading up a comp with freebsd/apache, creating a similar website, adding in that chat thing, and throwing it onto a 512k-up ADSL line? Hmmm. One could call it a development of computing skills. How about the url… tealits*x? :slight_smile: Oh that’d be bad…yes I know. (Now where’s that freebsd cd…)

why does it hurt when I p said:

“I have had similar experiences at Tealit. I was posting a thread for organized downhill mountain rides…”

I think the word “organized” is key here.

Tealit has evolved into a forum that hates anything organized by foreigners living in Taiwan.

They don`t want to see a confluence of foreigners exchanging information and opinions. This seems to be very threatening. They are cowards. Just look at their website lately, a far cry from the old Tealit when Meredith was around. Anything mundane or basic stays. The dumber the response the better. Years ago, the old Tealit was a hotbed of arguments and a storage of information. There was abuse, but the website was still a good source of entertainment.

Then I noticed a lot of fun posts or anything honest would just disappear. I`m pretty sure these new owners were offended by what foreigners really felt and they wanted to shut down any avenue of expression that could be easily accessed by the public.

Foreigners in Taiwan live in a bubble of unreality. I agree with another poster who says that we live beyond the reality of the locals. We have more power. We make more money and we can leave if we dont like it. The evolution of the Tealit forum and even Daves Esl Cafe (American but needs Asian $$$) from open to very closed represents the wider censoriousness of their society and business culture in general.

I always hear foreigners say how nice it is to live in Asia. But that is because they are foreigners and so don’t live by the same rules as the locals.

I remember even Daves. Years ago, people would notice all kinds of good stuff deleted [i]for no apparent reason[/i]. Nothing offensive would be posted, in fact, Daves counter would show thousands of people clicking on that particular thread… yet, it was threatening to the owner/moderator and it would vanish.

I still like the look of Tealit`s website. That is the only thing that has remained the same. Hopefully someone will knock off their format and be able to attract the advertisers and once again have a great forum…

It is fascinating to see the evolution of all these forums and how most of them have degenerated for all sorts of reasons. In the end, the owner just couldn`t hack the freedom of expression.

Here here, I hear you on all that and above about Tealit… It seems like anything, here and in America, when it’s run by the people for the people, then it stays in touch with the people. But when money becomes involved, and as in the case of using someone’s money, then it’s no longer for the people because it’s owned. :fume: If me contributing to Forumosa will keep this behavior at bay, then I will be tithing…

Black folks have a saying along the lines of this-When you use someone’s money to pay for your own stuff it aint your stuff no matter how much you think it is cause you aint use YOUR money…

[quote=“namastestore”]
Black folks have a saying along the lines of this-When you use someone’s money to pay for your own stuff it aint your stuff no matter how much you think it is cause you aint use YOUR money…[/quote]

Hehe, love it! :smiley:

I just had to add to this.

I posted on Tealit today at about 4.30 ish under “Jobs in Other Professions” and bugger me, it was gone within 30 minutes (at the most)!

The main content of the ad was for a foreigner who speaks Chinese for a sales position in Taichung, totally legit blah blah blah, so what the FUCK?

What the hell has got into these guys? I know it’s TEALIT i.e. Teaching ENGLISH in Taiwan, but why have other headings if you’re going to delete most of the postings? I’m fucked if I know.

The only reason I can think of is that I started my ad with…" Tired of teaching English…"

Is that enough of a reason to delete my ad? WANKERS!

Forumosa is the way to go.

Not quite. What I believe you mean is:

“Wankers - that is the reason they deleted my ad.”

The reason Tealit’s classifieds are so much more poplar than Forumosa’s (despit having to pay for the teaching ones), is that they advertise daily int he papers (english, and maybe Chinese too).

I for one would contribute to a special Forumosa fund to advertise our classifieds in the papers, just for the pleasure of stealing busines from Tealit.

Brian

I read some of the previous posts about how bad TeaLit has become and have a few things to add. First, I’ve known and used that site for about two years, up until a few months ago.
Trying to get ANY ads posted is a nightmare - doesn’t matter if it’s for teaching positions, language exchange, selling a car or offering blowjobs in the parking lot for free. They disappear, quickly, even if they got posted at all. They change, too, before they disappear.
What grates me most is the way the chat room has degenerated into a meet-and-sleep place for foreign guys into Taiwanese chicks. Now don’t get me wrong - nothing wrong with that, but fer krist’s sake isn’t TeaLit supposed to be for foreigners in Taiwan? It has become virtually impossible for a western girl to chat there, as the room is “controlled” by a little Taiwanese-girl mafia, who seems to be online 24/7 and who quickly start working the foreign girls (and mainland girls, and Taiwanese-US girls) out. That’s before they start fighting among each other - scandalous. It is absolutely unbelievable, it seems that these “mafia moderators” must either be paid to chat 24/7, or they’re inmates of an asylum with unlimited access to the internet - the latter seems to be the obvious answer. It’s a real pity - I used to chat there regularly when I got to Taiwan and it was a wonderful place to chat with other westerners, or newbies, or find other backgammon players, or just have fun. What happened? Who the hell is responsible for the site? Can’t they make another site for boy-girl action and restore TeaLit to what it once was?
I decided a while ago to rather go the Forumosa way. Just last week I was looking for something and clicked on TeaLit - just enough to convince me never to return. What a pity.

No kiddin’. I responded to one of the dating ads on TeaLit once out of curiousity. Unfortunately, the girl turned out to be a psycho xiaojie and I cut her off pretty quick. :noway:

Registrant:
NewTouch Digital Media Corp. (TEALIT3-DOM)
15-236 Paradise Plaza
Sarasota, FL 34240
US

Domain Name: TEALIT.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
NewTouch Digital Media Corp. (WBVYKJPVAO) info@ntdmedia.com
15-236 Paradise Plaza
Sarasota, FL 34240
US
813-354-3588 fax: 813-354-4689

Record expires on 02-Apr-2005.
Record created on 02-Apr-1999.
Database last updated on 25-Oct-2004 13:49:29 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.SITEPROTECT.COM 64.26.0.23
NS2.SITEPROTECT.COM 64.26.38.2

ntdmedia.com/Home.html

and ain’t that link from cartman’s post just world’s most informative website - looks like a three-year-old’s building blocks and an email link …

Funny. I posted on this thread and it got deleted. How ironic.

Are you sure? I can’t see it from my all-powerful admin viewpoint. Sounds like a glitch to me… I’ll hunt around a bit… :sunglasses:

Isn’t it about time that we heard from the guys at Tealit themselves?

Surely they brows other forums to see what’s going on? C’mon out and reply if you are reading this!

We’d love answers to some really simple questions like…erm…well I don’t have to reiterate now, do I?

L :smiley:

Moderator: This discussion is continued here.