Team Taiwan's road to 2020 Tokyo Olympics (baseball)

Does coach Hong mess with the lineup every dau like this when he’s coaching Lamigo?

I was wondering who the girl in TPE colors is that walks out with them when talking to umpire.

It appears she is the translator.

1 Like

1-1. Oh crap, he’s putting in that Taipower pitcher against.

This coach drives me nuts. He doesn’t want to win.

You guys suck. This is not a historically baseball playing country.

林哲瑄 You idiot.

WTF who told him to run for second base?

Probably nobody. That was embarrassing.

Wasn’t even close.

Good job, catcher. Way to gun down the runner.

Knock on outta here, Fatty.

This is pathetic! These guys only play during the winter!

Good job 勳。 Struck out the side I’m the 8th.

林哲瑄3 run jack bottom of 8th.
5-1.

Good game, guys. 陳鴻文with the save.

Reflections on this tournament:

1. This is an unprecedented. Finishing in the top five in the world at the second highest level of baseball (behind the World Baseball Classic). Knocking off two historically baseball playing countries (PUR & VEN).
    Especially gratifying was thrashing our rival Korea, and staying competitive with an emerging Mexico and world leader USA.
  2. The importance of unity. As long as internal squabbles between the CPBL and the CTBA are absent, we do well. Kudos to Taiwan for taking care of that crap.
  3. The staff did a phenomenal job with advance scouting (or 情蒐, intelligence gathering as they call it). In just about every player interview, they were talking about it. This made a huge difference.
  4. Pitching was dominant in every game (except perhaps vs. Japan). I attribute much of this to Chien-min Wang’s influence in getting Hu and other pitchers from the states to contribute. Versus Australia, majority of the outs were strikeouts (15/27).
  5. Although his performance was disappointing (possibly due to playing hurt), specials thanks to Borong for his patriotism and sacrifice.
  6. All in all, this is the best baseball I’ve watched in my life. I’ve ordered a Premier 12 T-shirt from the store.
3 Likes

I find it odd that we btfo Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Australia, sent Korea to the shadow realm and yet we don’t get a ticket to Tokyo. Feelsscammedman.

4 Likes

We had a chance to win against the US as well. Too bad our base running was still all over the place.

Some people have pointed to poor hitting for the reason we didn’t qualify for the Olympics. It’s a valid point, since the team only hit for 0.207, with an on base percentage of 0.272 and slugging percentage of 0.279. It isn’t pretty.

Though, except for Samurai Japan, every team hitting against us seemed to be struggling as well. The bullpen was actually solid for a change, and we should have trusted them more.

Oh well, let’s hope we have better lucky in the final qualifier.

2 Likes

What are the splits, vs. Asian and American teams?

I want Chien-min Wang as full-time national team manager.

Wei-chung Wang, Jenho Zeng, and Wenhua Sung has expressed desires to play in the Final Olympic Qualifier. Not sure if they’re sincere or I’d reporters goaded them into saying it.

1 Like