TeaParty mob spit on Congressmen, call them N#ggrs & F@ggots

Impressive tactics, sure to rally support from their Republican base.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 02556.html

[quote] [color=#FF0000]Demonstrators outside the U.S. Capitol, angry over the proposed health-care reform bill, shouted “nigger” Saturday at U.S. Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia congressman and civil rights icon who was nearly beaten to death during an Alabama march in the 1960s.

The protesters also shouted obscenities at other members of the Congressional Black Caucus[/color], lawmakers said.

“They were shouting, sort of harassing,” Lewis said. “But, it’s OK, I’ve faced this before. It reminded me of the '60s. It was a lot of downright hate and anger and people being downright mean.” . . . . .

A colleague who was accompanying Lewis said people in the crowd responded by saying “Kill the bill, then the n-word.”

“It surprised me that people are so mean and we can’t engage in a civil dialogue and debate,” Lewis said.

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo., said he was a few yards behind Lewis and distinctly heard “nigger.”

“[color=#FF0000]It was a chorus[/color],” Cleaver said. “In a way, I feel sorry for those people who are doing this nasty stuff - they’re being whipped up. I decided I wouldn’t be angry with any of them.”

[color=#FF0000]Protestors also used a slur as they confronted Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass.[/color], an openly gay member of Congress. A writer for Huffington Post said [color=#FF0000]the crowd called Frank a “faggot.”[/color]

. . . . Frank said [color=#FF0000]the crowd consisted of a couple hundred of people and that they referred to him as “homo.”[/color]

“I’m disappointed with the unwillingness to be civil,” Frank told the Globe. "I was, I guess, surprised by the rancor. . .

Heated debate has surrounded what role race plays in the motivations of the tea party demonstrators. During protests [color=#FF0000]last summer, demonstrators displayed a poster depicting Obama as an African witch doctor complete with headdress[/color], above the words “OBAMACARE coming to a clinic near you.” [color=#FF0000]Former President Jimmy Carter asserted in September that racism was a major factor behind the hostility that Obama’s proposals had faced.

The claim brought angry rebuttals from Republicans[/color]. . .

House Majority Whip James Clyburn, D-S.C., said Saturday’s ugliness underscored for him that the health-care overhaul isn’t the only motivation for many protesters.

“[color=#FF0000]I heard people saying things today I’ve not heard since March 15th, 1960, when I was marching to try and get off the back of the bus[/color],” Clyburn said. "This is incredible, shocking to me. . . . [/quote]

kansascity.com/2010/03/20/18 … z0imus6OnA

Always classy, those right-wing nuts. I’ve heard Mike Malloy claim that racism is at the very heart of the Tea Party movement, and from what I’ve seen and heard coming from these nutcases, I’m inclined to believe him.

When I see pictures of Tea Party rallies, they are always a sea of white faces.

Did you see the video of the anti-health reform protesters verbally abusing a pro-health reform protester with Parkinson’s Disease sitting on the ground, holding a sign? … so sad

Yes, I saw that. Shameful. Heartless. Disgusting.

Don’t forget Limbaugh making fun of Michael J. Fox’s Parkinson’s, the recent attacks by Limbaugh and Beck on 11-year-old Marcelas Owens, whose mother died after losing her health insurance… absolutely despicable.

Latter story presented by the angry, ever-entertaining Mike Malloy:

this thread is reverse racism.

the Tea Party are just regular folks, and if you hate on them you hate God, you hate America and you hate puppies.

the fact that this thread exists shows the liberal, hippy, pinko bias on this forum.

grassroots movements are what America is all about. Look at the KKK, originally just a bunch of Indiana farmers trying to stick it to the system.

Hatred of bigotry is not bigotry. It’s a reaction against initial evil.

Chris, I think d-squared was being sarchastic…

Ahh… Poe’s Law (or a corollary thereof)

Mike Malloy sounds too much like one of them.

Not sure that is a good tactic. Then again I don’t know what would be a good tactic. They don’t seem amenable to reason.

I’m guessing too that most of the radical right is in possession of weaponary, and that a lot of them are looking for an excuse to use it.

Scary, scary times…

they’re a real sharp bunch as well
forbes.com/2010/03/18/tea-pa … tlett.html

Sad times, for sure. Recall that congressmen yelling “you lie” at the president. And if you do a google image search or youtube search for racist tea party you’ll find endless crap like this. . .

And then they go and deny it. . .

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]they’re a real sharp bunch as well
forbes.com/2010/03/18/tea-pa … tlett.html[/quote]
Well, last year they were protesting higher taxes just as their taxes were being reduced.

I would like to see some headlines about some Republican politicians standing up and saying “yes we disagree with the policies but this racist and homophobic shit is ignorant and malicious and needs to stop” - that Obama-as-witchdoctor would be hilarious if the protester was John Stewart making a joke, but as I’m sure it’s a nutjob and they actually believe the nonsense, it’s just sad - makes me remember why I lost hope in my home country’s future.

Where are you from TT? Given your beer preferences, I’d guess NZ?

Tellin’ ya! Those bozos over there in America are FAR more foreign than anybody else in the world! Its very very frightening and very very sad to see that kind of filthy shite and to know that those people are still the most powerful in the world. :cry:

Where are you from TT? Given your beer preferences, I’d guess NZ?[/quote]

Good guess, as that’s one of my top 3 next destinations, only been to the South Island but hands down the most beautiful place I’ve been and with the best beer per capita (meaning the US has more boutique breweries as does Australia, but NZ’s got what, 4 mil people, and they have at least 3 excellent boutique breweries).

No, from the East Coast of the US, and sadly, with zyzzx, it’s still the most likely place I’ll eventually return to

Little brains and less if possible love of liberty or you couldn’t say a word against Barney Frank. One of the only guys over there I have any respect for.

Those people are NOT powerful and that’s why they’re like they are (amongst other reasons). They are sad and pathetic that much is true as well as misinformed and ignorant. They believe the rightwing hype and misinformation as well as downright fearmongering that both the left and right extreme leaders(ship) put out there for their respective followers to feed on.

I am disappointed in the politicization of the debate around healthcare reform in the US. What is absolutely NOT debatible is that reform is needed. Too bad the American poiticians are more interested in continuing their political careers rather than do something for their country.

Shame on the whole lot of them. Shame!

I’m curious as to why it’s okay to stereotype this movement and its followers based upon its radical/dickhead followers (the guy in the orange jacket was onto something in his first placard, but then completely undid himself with his second; the others people were just tools), yet it’s not okay to stereotype other groups for equivalent reasons. I’m not saying the movement shouldn’t be ridiculed as a whole if it won’t rein in such clowns, but I’m wondering why for people who are normally against stereotyping, it’s okay in this instance. I suspect this is one of the real problems in American politics: extreme partisanship and the willingness for people to suspend their normal principles in order to score points off their opponents.

I would suspect that a big part of it is the unwillingness of others in the movement to distance themselves from, criticize, or attempt to tone down the radical/dickhead followers. If the saner member of the Tea Party movement were to declare that these sorts of things were unacceptable, they might get more respect.