Tech question for the tech experts

I just formatted my notebook with Windows XP. The problem is I forgot to bring my notebook utilities cd-rom over with me. Another problem is my notebook is a generic brand bought straight from a manufacturer, but I’m thinking it’s probably an ASUS-type widescreen one.

I’ve gone to the ASUS website and I’m thinking of downloading the drivers for another kind of widescreen notebook. How compatible would they be? Is it “dangerous” in any way to use the drivers that aren’t specifically for your notebook?

thanks to any reponders.

[quote=“teacup”]I just formatted my notebook with Windows XP. The problem is I forgot to bring my notebook utilities cd-rom over with me. Another problem is my notebook is a generic brand bought straight from a manufacturer, but I’m thinking it’s probably an ASUS-type widescreen one.

I’ve gone to the ASUS website and I’m thinking of downloading the drivers for another kind of widescreen notebook. How compatible would they be? Is it “dangerous” in any way to use the drivers that aren’t specifically for your notebook?

thanks to any reponders.[/quote]

Bad idea… Go to control panel… double click system… click the hardware tab… then click device manager.

You will see a list of your devices. The ones with a “!” or “x” have problems. Write down the names of the devices and go to www.driverguide.com

*If you don’t have your network card driver installed -> Use a friends computer to get the network card driver. Install it on your computer, and then go back to driverguide.com to download the rest of the drivers.

Driverguide.com has every driver you can imagine. You have to register, but it’s free.

good luck!

Yea, Drewfus is right, driverguide has all the latest drivers.