Tech workers who flocked to Taiwan’s Covid-free haven are now fleeing

I had that feeling too, but don’t know the numbers.

What’s stopping them?
They don’t even need to give up their foreign passports like us and they can get household registration and therefore an ID with ease. Most have relatives here , many are well off.

I don’t get it.

In which case this is all a storm in a teacup. They came for a staycation and left once lockdown happened. If I could get out right now I probably would too. Rich people gonna do rich people shit.

4 Likes

The US economy is in good shape, lots of jobs.
To be fair I wouldn’t be here if I was American either especially when one country is opening and another is closing .

Stopping them from what?
There are constant inquiry in the dual nationality forum on how they can do it.

It’s pretty straightforward once they have Taiwanese parents anyway . I got a Taiwan passport and I don’t even have any Taiwanese relatives.
The real problem is getting the ID…And for that you need to establish household registration .
That’s a bitch UNLESS you have Taiwanese /ROC heritage.
They don’t need to give up their passports like almost all the other colour people. :expressionless: They even have a special immigration route allocated to them and aren’t even called foreigners (called overseas Chinese ).

So they can stop their moaning they really don’t have it hard at all. They can fairly easily immigrate to Taiwan or utilise the gold card if they what to avoid conscription. Couldn’t be easier for most.

1 Like

Ah, now I understood what is what you don’t get.

Am I the only one that’s glad these covid refugees are leaving? I just saw them as digital nomads who wanted to travel and I hate all the things they brought along. Taiwan doesn’t need more tourists, vloggers, or digital nomads. Before covid, Taiwan was never known as an exciting destination or a digital nomad hotspot. Let them go to Thailand or other more popular destinations and leave Taiwan the boring country that it was before.

3 Likes

I think we should have, at the very least, rolled out a red carpet for them at the airport. When departing, that is.

1 Like

I think some had the potential to add to things here and I imagine some have stayed to do so. The sticking point is that others show a lack in character by not having any allegiance to the place they demand special treatment from.

3 Likes

The horror! Digital nomads! Oh my! Bringing along terrible things that totally destroyed everything that was great about TW, like its boringness and worldwide reputation as the foreigners 4th choice destination for English teaching.

5 Likes

They’ll have added considerably more to Taiwan’s economy than they’ll have taken out during their sojourn. I doubt Steve Chen was living cheaply.

4 Likes

The benefits attracting diaspora to Israel are also given to foreigners?

Yup. Those lap dances don’t pay for themselves.

2 Likes

I met some very interesting digital nomads in Taiwan during the past year. Seemed like decent people. Didn’t have any illusions about them ending up as lifers like myself though.

No harm, no foul.

6 Likes

Comes with free virus too these days .

1 Like

What an incredibly stupid analogy. As if Taiwanese people had experienced Holocaust and had a bunch of foreign powers backing us up after the war :roll:

So TW, which faces a growing existential threat to its existence as an independent state with an independent cultural identity, can’t take any inspiration from Israel because it didn’t have a Holocaust. Brilliant!

TW should just do nothing, and forcefully push back against any effort to welcome Taiwanese diaspora who express an interest in coming to TW.

As for foreign powers backing TW, do you even read history, bro? First TW Strait Crisis? Second TWStrait Crisis? Who do you think was writing checks to General Cash-My-Check?

1 Like

Is this a joke? Israel has a law of return because the Jewish race has been persecuted for like centuries and Jews were forced out all over the world. What would a law of return even be like for Taiwan? Just accept all Chinese people? Give me a break. :roll:

Foreign powers basically kicked the Arabs out to establish a new country for Jews. The support is not even remotely close to being a bargain chip like Taiwan was (and still is).

1 Like

Please keep up. This discussion you responded to isn’t about the law of return. It’s about criticism some 2nd-gen diaspora have about immigrating to and assimilating in TW, and how those criticisms might be addressed.

TW wouldn’t have to create a law of return to offer diaspora benefits (inspired by other countries like Israel) that would increase the likelihood of them coming, staying and contributing.

If you want to whine about TW not having the same level of support from foreign powers as Israel, fine. But the reality is that TW only exists today because a foreign power kept the communists at bay.

3 Likes