Technical Work in Taiwan

So they’re no longer amusing themselves by giving you wedgies and putting superglue on your chair?[/quote]

Well they still do THAT, but they pat me on the back afterwards at least.

So they’re no longer amusing themselves by giving you wedgies and putting superglue on your chair?[/quote]

Well they still do THAT, but they pat me on the back afterwards at least.[/quote]
And ruffle your hair. While saying “aaaaah, lookit! Isn’t he just the cutest wee thing you ever saw!”

I’m about to start a technical writing job for a wireless technology company in Neihu (why are they all in Neihu?).

I’ll be making about $10,000 more per month than I was teaching English (at two schools), for basically the same hours, but with flexitime (a major advantage). I’ll be getting slightly less leave, but all my leave will be paid leave (as opposed to previously, when any leave I took was unpaid, making holidays deadly expensive). I’ll be working five days a week instead of six (and occasionally seven).

My official position is head technical writer/staff trainer, and the operations manager (American), explained to me in detail the promotion opportunities, which are significantly better than they are at the average buxiban. I’ll be responsible for putting together a team of writers under me as I develop the position (meaning I’ll be able to pass on some of the grunt work later, which sounds great).

International travel to their sister companies in other parts of Asia will occasionally be necessary, which is something I don’t like but can live with.

Best of all, I get my evenings back. I have had it up to here with evening classes which finish at 9:45 pm, getting home at 10:50pm, and having to get up at 6am for 9am morning classes. I feel like I might as well stay overnight.

I have a question about technical writing jobs, do you HAVE to be caucasian to work there, like if you look chinese and speaks perfect English they still wont hire you because you aren’t caucasian? I tried for technical writing jobs from various companies (there isn’t many though) and got nothing but silence from them.

Speaking for the company I’ve joined, they’ve hired me because they were simply desparate for a capable English speaking technical writer.

Previously they’ve tried hiring Chinese technical guys, but found their English was hopeless (it would take two days to get a technical document out of them, and then it would have to be corrected). They also tried hiring Chinese with excellent English, but although these guys turned out to have degrees in English language and literature, they had no technical vocabulary at all, and didn’t understand the technology they were supposed to be writing about, so they were equally useles.

I was hired not because of my skin, but because I’m someone they can rely on to have both excellent English and a good technical knowledge (I was in IT back in Australia, teaching has been a vocation change for me).

[quote=“Fortigurn”]Speaking for the company I’ve joined, they’ve hired me because they were simply desparate for a capable English speaking technical writer.

Previously they’ve tried hiring Chinese technical guys, but found their English was hopeless (it would take two days to get a technical document out of them, and then it would have to be corrected). They also tried hiring Chinese with excellent English, but although these guys turned out to have degrees in English language and literature, they had no technical vocabulary at all, and didn’t understand the technology they were supposed to be writing about, so they were equally useles.

I was hired not because of my skin, but because I’m someone they can rely on to have both excellent English and a good technical knowledge (I was in IT back in Australia, teaching has been a vocation change for me).[/quote]

I’d agree 100% with what Fortigurn just said. I came from an IT/engineering background and am a native English speaker. I would like to think that’s all they hired me for.

That said, I am sometimes “wheeled out” when foreign visitors come and asked to present some of our products. I do get the feeling I’m their white monkey sometimes, especially when the visitors are Chinese and can’t speak English (I can’t speak Chinese), yet they wheel me out anyway, so the company looks international or something. Anyway, I don’t think they were thinking about this when they hired me.

So what can I do with a marketing degree and native English ability (and being chinese too)?

I would suggest that you need to demonstrate some mastery of the technical vocabulary and concepts used by the company to which you apply. They might be prepared to offer you a contract with a provisional first term, during which time they train you up for the task.

A lot of these tech companies would be very interested in having you in their sales dept, I’m sure. I’d honestly suggest you stick your resume up on 104.com.tw (site’s all in Chinese, so if you can’t do that yourself, get a friend to help). You can put your details up all in English, even though the site’s in Chinese (I did). Then the companies will contact YOU, while you sit back and relax.

A lot of these tech companies would be very interested in having you in their sales dept, I’m sure. I’d honestly suggest you stick your resume up on 104.com.tw (site’s all in Chinese, so if you can’t do that yourself, get a friend to help). You can put your details up all in English, even though the site’s in Chinese (I did). Then the companies will contact YOU, while you sit back and relax.[/quote]

Thanks, im still trying to finish my marketing degree from UOP online… Im working at familymart in the meantime though. I put stuff up at 104 before, the problem is I haven’t gotten too many response, I guess its because of lack of a college degree… What could I do for sales department anyways? I heard that you had to work no less than 10 hours a day, including overtime, 6 days a week for about 25,000 a month. Is that true for me?

A lot of these tech companies would be very interested in having you in their sales dept, I’m sure. I’d honestly suggest you stick your resume up on 104.com.tw (site’s all in Chinese, so if you can’t do that yourself, get a friend to help). You can put your details up all in English, even though the site’s in Chinese (I did). Then the companies will contact YOU, while you sit back and relax.[/quote]

Thanks, im still trying to finish my marketing degree from UOP online… Im working at familymart in the meantime though. I put stuff up at 104 before, the problem is I haven’t gotten too many response, I guess its because of lack of a college degree… What could I do for sales department anyways? I heard that you had to work no less than 10 hours a day, including overtime, 6 days a week for about 25,000 a month. Is that true for me?[/quote]

For working conditions, you can expect to work 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, and as a foreigner, you should accept no less than 50,000NT$/month. Would you be needing this job to get your visa? Cos that’s a lot more work for companies. If you can already be here on another type of visa, which allows you to work (mine’s a marriage-based visa), then that makes you a lot more employable too.

I’d get that qualification if I were you, then try again.

What would you be doing in sales? Well, our company sells its products all over the world, so needs English-speaking salespeople to deal with the customers. I’m sure a native-English speaker would be very attractive to them. Of course I’m not in a position to hire people, but this is what I see in my company.

[quote=“irishstu”]

What would you be doing in sales? Well, our company sells it’s products all over the world, so needs English-speaking salespeople to deal with the customers. I’m sure a native-English speaker would be very attractive to them. Of course I’m not in a position to hire people, but this is what I see in my company.[/quote]

Im not a forigner… I dont need any visa (why would a forigner work at familymart?) but because I am not a forigner I will be paid less? I think its stupid that its true though…

I was wondering if anyone can comment on doing technical writing by contract as opposed to a full-time position. I currently teach ESL classes in the afternoons and evenings and don’t wish to give that up. Does anyone have any experience in terms of pay, finding contracts or contacts, or general advice.

I do have many years of IT experience (former computer software programmer) and I have a good background in writing and grammar (via ESL teaching experience) so I’m not concerned about those areas. Thanks in advance.

I’m not even in Taiwan yet but I noticed Pristine.com.tw is looking for contract writers. :>

Which brings me to my question. I’ll be arriving in a few weeks and will be looking for something in technical writing. I’ve nearly finished a diploma in technical writing and I’m really hoping to find a professional work environment with the chance to get experience and develop skills. Am I dreaming? I’ve noticed a lot of companies are advertising. The ones that stand out are TrendMicro, Global Sources, and Cyberlink. Does anyone have any info on these places?

TrendMicro wants you to do some silly writing test, Cyberlink will only interview people in Taiwan, but should be a decent enough company I guess, no idea about the other one…

[quote=“chickenwhen”]I’m not even in Taiwan yet but I noticed Pristine.com.tw is looking for contract writers. :>

Which brings me to my question. I’ll be arriving in a few weeks and will be looking for something in technical writing. I’ve nearly finished a diploma in technical writing and I’m really hoping to find a professional work environment with the chance to get experience and develop skills. Am I dreaming? I’ve noticed a lot of companies are advertising. The ones that stand out are TrendMicro, Global Sources, and Cyberlink. Does anyone have any info on these places?[/quote]

I could be wrong, but Trend Micro seem to be permanently advertising. Actually, I applied for a job with them a couple of years ago, but didn’t even get an interview.

I know PowerColor is looking for a Junior Marketing person as of right now, but the pay ain’t all that. There’s an ad on Taiwanted and I know one of the marketing guys there.

[quote=“chickenwhen”]I’m not even in Taiwan yet but I noticed Pristine.com.tw is looking for contract writers. :>

Which brings me to my question. I’ll be arriving in a few weeks and will be looking for something in technical writing. I’ve nearly finished a diploma in technical writing and I’m really hoping to find a professional work environment with the chance to get experience and develop skills. Am I dreaming? I’ve noticed a lot of companies are advertising. The ones that stand out are TrendMicro, Global Sources, and Cyberlink. Does anyone have any info on these places?[/quote]

They’re all perpetual advertisers, them and Acer.
Plenty of jobs.
As long as you aren’t expecting much in the way of pay and working conditions.
YMMV, but I wouldn’t expect your diploma to do much for you, beyond a possible 1-5% bump in your starting salary over someone with no experience.

If I am looking for technical writing jobs,
where could I post my advertisement?

And is anyone know PHP&MYSQL programmers in Taipei?
Thanks

[quote=“isaphira”]If I am looking for technical writing jobs,
where could I post my advertisement?

And is anyone know PHP&MYSQL programmers in Taipei?
Thanks[/quote]

Post your CV on 104.com.tw. If you can’t read Chinese, then you’ll need help to navigate the site, though you can put all your info up there in English (I did). Are you a native-English speaker?