Techno/Trance in Taipei

I’ve discovered a couple of new techno clubs in Taipei - a place near Min San and Lin Sen - called a trance club on the outside, but “Dream Fields” on the inside. It’s open Thurs-Sat, and seems to stay open till 9am. If you arrive late enough (>5:30) it’s free.

And another place - DJ Junction - in the same basement as Hard Rock cafe (NT350 cover charge).

Does anyone know of any others, and where’s the coolest place in Taipei at the moment?

By coolest, I mean the kind of place you can hang out until LATE, meet people , and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg!

I’ve just come back from Shanghai, and I was impressed by the clubs there, which had a certain ‘class’ about them (i.e. everyone would still dress sexy - not necessarily like eminem baggy pants, frizzy hair-styles and excessive body peircing - which don’t turn me on at all - sorry) - but the music was still cool - not this Ricky Martin crap that places like Ziga Zaga, Julianas and Carnegies offer!

I haven’t been there yet, but there’s been a lot of buzz about a place called “Tech Sound.” I think that its most comprable to DJ Junction in terms of music, people, and style. In fact, I was told some Asian gangsters like to spend their evenings out at Tech sound, which used to be called something else, but I dont remember what.

Last time I was at Texound, it was damned expensive to get in. But the real misery was the police raid. About a dozen cops arrived at 4am clad in bulletproof vests and shut the place down for 1 hour while checking everyone’s IDs. Then they took forever to search every nook and cranny of the place looking for people hiding.
It gets worse … hot on the heels of the cops were 2 TV news crews shoving their cameras into everyone’s faces while the cops were violating everyone’s rights.
And then coz nobody wanted their mom/granny/boss to see them on TV later that morning everyone kept moving around the place, and the cops got extra pissed off and (I think deliberately) took their time doing the searches.
I don’t think anypne was hauled off that night for a urine test, but the events that morning were a downer for myself and everyone there.

Re: True Trance Club and TeXound

quote[quote] a place near Min San and Lin Sen - called a trance club on the outside, but "Dream Fields" on the inside. [/quote]

This is a new club called True Trance Club. The crew behind it are called Dreamfield (they used to run the raves at the water park in BaXi). I haven’t been there yuet, but will checking it out for what seems like an excellent Trance party on Tuesday night. You should come along. For more info:

http://www.dreamfield.com.tw/english/default.htm

quote[quote] I haven't been there yet, but there's been a lot of buzz about a place called "Tech Sound." I think that its most comprable to DJ Junction in terms of music, people, and style. In fact, I was told some Asian gangsters like to spend their evenings out at Tech sound, which used to be called something else, but I dont remember what. [/quote]

TeXound used to be all gangsters. It used to be great. It’s still good but is dominated by the white T-shirts and topless rubby rubby very high boys. Nice friendly vibe, but if you want to see a few of the fairer sex around you should probably go elsewhere. All techno. Heard that TeXound got put off by the 2nd Floor Christmas raids and took out 3 months insurance with the police, so it’s pretty ‘safe’ at the moment. There’s still gangsters in the seating areas and booths though, so don’t sit down somwhere that is ‘gangster only’.

Bri

Sorry, but Oriented should take away one of your stars for lack of coolness. It’s “TeXound”. And a half star for bad grammar… the period goes outside the quotes unless you are quoting a full sentence.

quote:
Originally posted by bradhawkins: I haven't been there yet, but there's been a lot of buzz about a place called "Tech Sound."
quote:
Originally posted by Schnell: Sorry, but Oriented should take away one of your stars for lack of coolness. It's "TeXound". And a half star for bad grammar... the period goes outside the quotes unless you are quoting a full sentence.

Not according to any of the online grammar guides I just checked. Also not according to any of the most common style manuals in use today (Chicago, AP).

Get yer facts straight before you try to shoot someone down. Shame on you, anyway, for being such a pedant. This is a bulletin board, not a term paper.

quote:
Originally posted by Bu Lai En: Re: True Trance Club and TeXound This is a new club called True Trance Club. The crew behind it are called Dreamfield (they used to run the raves at the water park in BaXi). I haven't been there yuet, but will checking it out for what seems like an excellent Trance party on Tuesday night. You should come along.

Has anyone been to True Trance Club lately? Any good? What’s the makeup of the crowd?

I went there for Chinese New Year. I wasn’t really into it that night, but it seemd OK. But just OK. Could be better for different people, different night.

I went to Deep the other night and that was goood and really busy too. Lots of young people, few or no noticeable gangsters. But that may have been an atypical night, as some DJ friend sof ours were having aparty that night. Had a blast because there were loads of people and the music was great and we got to use one of the ‘gangster lounges’ so I got to feel really cool lounging about on sofas with K-snorting beautiful people and hipsters

Didn’t like the fact that althpugh we got in free before 11 we would have had to pay if we went out and came in again, so we couldn’t sneak out to the 7-11 for a drink. Didn’t have enough money for water, but luckily the happy people in the VIP booth were friendly enough to share

bri

So what’s the address of DEEP? Has anyone
been to Rock Candy on the corner of Civil
Blvd and Fuhsing road? If so, what’s it
like?

DEEP is located at: B1 237 Songjiang Rd.

FYI: Avoid gangster bar “515”, location: unknown.

If you are looking for a disco that does not charge NT$350 or more, forget it. There are some awsome lounge bars around. They get you on the drinks. Try Milk on Xinyi around the corner from Le Petit Sherwood @ Dunhua.
Rock Candy is the kind of place you go at early in the evening for a jumpstart, or very very late at night when you can’t sleep. The music is alright. Rock Candy II (Bade Rd. east of Jian’guo) is even cooler with the best art of all the techno clubs I’ve been to. Both are small, but usually packed. I have seen a lot of good-looking people.

Also, to all: sorry about that very misplaced and odd rant. I think it was that misguided superego talking that day. Usually, id dominates over superego, so I promise it won’t happen again.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by popo:

So what’s the address of DEEP? Has anyone
been to Rock Candy on the corner of Civil
Blvd and Fuhsing road? If so, what’s it
like?

Sounds like DEEP is where the all-dyke dance
bar used to be, either that or 2-Kinky, which
is long since defunct, huh…

quote:
Originally posted by Quirky: Try Milk on Xinyi around the corner from Le Petit Sherwood @ Dunhua.
Milk is no longer. It is now called [b]Juicy[/b], has undergone renovations (not as cool as before, IMHO) [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] , and is owned by local celebrity Zhang Zhenyue, singer of such classics as "Dad, give me money" and "Let's Break up".