TECO-US: If you vote, you will be drafted!

It has come to my attention that various TECO’s in USA have been making it difficult for students or recent graduates to register to vote. First they would block entry until inspecting everything you have and then telling you that you will be drafted if you vote.

I didn’t really believe it at first until it also happened to me. I was at TECO NY earlier last week, and wanted to go to the 4th level to register to vote. They sent someone down to the first floor and he demanded to see if I have a Taiwan passport. I showed it to him and he tried to assure me that I would get drafted even though I’m a graduate student, have my taxes in line, etc.

I assured him that it was not the case, but he insisted. So I gave up and told him that, “If I have to get drafted just to vote, then SO BE IT, I just want the papers!”. He said that the draft would be difficult and its pretty cruel. I pointed out that I’m a pretty large guy, have handled assault rifles, I have plenty of free time, and that I’m practically looking forward to it. I ended by asking him again, if I could get my papers. So he just gave up and brought me to the right floor, but told me to wait for him as he came back. I knew he wouldn’t as the offices were closing, so I went to the right desks and they were no help either.

I finally asked a security guy whom was Hispanic, and he pointed me to a closed door office which turned out to be the office of the temporary OCAC Director whom was well acquainted with me. He not only got the forms for me instantly, he basically filled out the whole thing for me after sitting me down for tea.

That’s very interesting indeed.

Maybe you were in the PRC embassy by mistake? Just kidding.
Typical Taiwanese politico appointee dip wad. Probably thought you’d vote all KMT…:smiley:

After having dealt with the Los Angeles TECO Office I have great sympathy for what the Taiwan expats in the USA must have to go through with that group of inept mouth-breathers.

Good. If you want to enjoy the privileges of citizenship you shouldn’t complain about the responsibilities.

Try reading the post before getting all sanctimonious, rather than just the title. :unamused:

Try not jumping to the conclusion that I didn’t read the post.

Then try showing evidence of reading comprehension. The OP is not trying to dodge the draft, he’s complaining that TECO is trying their best to see to it he doesn’t register to vote, using the threat of the draft. He’s made it plain he doesn’t mind being drafted or doing his national service. I think you’ve missed the point somewhere along the way.

Maybe the guy heard about other ABCs who ended up being drafted after voting and was just trying to be helpful. I never said the OP was trying to avoid service; I simply meant that those to whom such statements seem like a threat might want to consider the the responsibilities of citizenship. As for calling me “sanctimonious” and questioning my reading comprehension with the rolling eyes: Jesus Christ, overreact much?

Yes, maybe. IME when Taiwanese officials are trying to help you out with a little rule-bending they are far more subtle about then point-blank refusing to give out forms or accept applications. IME it’s all a bit nudge-nudge, wink-wink. YMMV and all that.
Then again, maybe the guy was just having a ‘bad Los Angeles day’, or had a fight with his girlfriend. It just doesn’t sound that way from the story the OP actually wrote. Whatever. :idunno:

If by this statement you meant ‘you under-45 Taiwanese men who have ROC passports but haven’t yet put yourselves into a position to be drafted into the military’, then perhaps you might have typed that instead of ‘you’. I quite naturally assumed you were just taking cheap potshots at the OP, or questioning his honesty with regards to his willingness to be drafted. :wink:

I would have written “one” instead of “you” but it sounded too British. I actually think it admirable of Shrimpcrackers to express his willingness to serve.

So I take it you weren’t really drafted?

I’m a graduate student in New York City. I’ve filled the forms and everything else properly so its not like I am running from the draft. The guy there was just trying to dissuade me from voting. It’s pretty obvious who I was going to vote for since I was registering on my own.

If I were voting KMT, I’d have my forms filled out for me already. I could simply go visit their office in Midtown and get to fly back for $500 after the $300 rebate, instead of having to pay around $900 on coach. The $500 fee even includes a free vacation trip that KMT-NY is giving out. Just about a third of the Hua-ren in New York City knows about the KMT “travel expenses” scheme.

Finally, no PoaGao actually did the whole draft. I wanted to read his book ‘Counting Mantou’. I don’t know if PoaGao is referring to me, but I never whined about the draft, I actually consider it an honor. I can’t wait to get my hands on the T91 assault rifle and compare it with the AR-15.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Maybe you were in the PRC embassy by mistake? Just kidding.
Typical Taiwanese politico appointee dip wad. Probably thought you’d vote all KMT…:smiley:

After having dealt with the Los Angeles TECO Office I have great sympathy for what the Taiwan expats in the USA must have to go through with that group of inept mouth-breathers.[/quote]

Actually many of the officers in TECO are actually KMT… including the one I spoke to. You know that right? It’s obvious I wasn’t voting KMT otherwise I would have registered with the rest in groups.

As it’s a secret ballot can’t you simply take advantage of the KMT’s generosity and then vote for who the hell you like when you get here? Same for vote-buying, I suppose - no reason that after having accepted NT$600 for your vote (actually I’m not sure what the going rate is for a presidential election) - no reason you can’t then vote for the other guy, is there? Apart from the fact that the gods will wreak terrible revenge on you for your duplicity, of course.

Seems obvious to me, too. Maybe you have to be a paid-up party member to be eligible, though. Although for the savings they’re offering on flights, vacation, etc., it might be worth it to pay the membership dues just the once. How much does it cost to join the KMT in the states?

And at those savings, why doesn’t the DPP accuse them of vote-buying? Sounds a lot more serious than making a few NT$2,000 donations at a local temple, and there’s a KMT legislator-elect from either Miaoli or Chiayi facing 2 years in jail and a massive fine for doing just that.

Those are good questions. Apparently the vote is not so secret somehow.

Anyway even if they cannot make sure you are voting KMT, its still dirty. Like I said, just about a third of everyone knows about this, why isn’t it news is beyond me except for their insistence that because its “travel expenses” and “bonuses” its not dirty because the “DPP buys votes!”. They’re justifying it by saying that it just makes sure that KMT votes from the US make it to Taiwan and you don’t get as much people who are reluctant to fly back to vote like for the DPP. In the DPP they offer no such incentives so you don’t get to vote for huge discounts.

I’ve put up a follow up: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 491#820491

There’s a part 2. Although I sent in my papers already, I did note that they told me I had until February 12th to get my papers in. Thing is I was told later that there is NO postal deliveries from 2/5 to 2/12 due to the Lunar New Year holiday. So if your papers don’t get there by 2/4, you cannot vote