TEFL holder, non-native English speaker?

Hi, do you guys know schools in Taiwan that accept a TEFL holder, non-native English speaker to teach English?

Which country are you from?

Indonesia

Unfortunately you need English as official language of your country to have a chance of working legally. Up to tertiary level, at least.

EDIT: do you have open work rights?

I do. It’s just that my English proficiency level is C2. I am wondering whether this would be of any help even though my country does not have English as an official language. Also, can you show me where is it stated that teaching English for people whose country don’t adopt English as an official English is illegal in Taiwan’s law? Any answer to this last question would be much appreciated.

I think this might be what you’re looking for: Article 42 of the Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act

Foreigners to be employed as foreign language teachers as specified in Article 46.1.4 in the Act shall have the following qualifications, and their weekly working hours in teaching-related work shall be no less than 14 (fourteen) hours:

1. Be 20 (twenty) years old or above.
  2. Be graduated from colleges or above.
  3. The language to be taught by the foreign teacher is the official language used in the country specified in the passport of the teacher.
    The foreigners mentioned in the preceding Paragraph shall have qualification certificates for language teaching if they have not obtained bachelor‘s degrees.

Here it is at the Ministry of Justice website: English and Chinese

1 Like

If you have open work rights, you can teach English legally except in kindergartens. The law quoted just above doesn’t apply to you.

What do you mean exactly by ‘The law quoted just above doesn’t apply to you’? Can you please elaborate? Thanks in advance.

foreigners here cannot legally work in Taiwan without a work permit or work right.

the quoted law is a legal requirement to get a work permit via your employer. So, if you need a work permit through your employer, you cannot teach English legally.

If you have an open work permit or work right, you can legally work here without the work permit via your employer.

3 Likes

As Tando says. If you have open work rights, you can do any job Taiwanese citizens can do with the same qualifications. No special qualifications are needed by Taiwanese people to teach foreign languages (except in kindergartens), therefore an open work rights holder does not need them either.

1 Like

I appreciate everybody who have taken the time to answer my question.

Ah, I missed the part that said you have open work rights.