Telephony and VOIP hardware (for Skype or other providers)

I am fast becoming sold on Skype as a great way to communicate both by voice and chat.

I have seen some USB Skype handsets around but I just spotted this online:
It allows skype use and landline use via a cordless handset.
dualphone.net/

Has anyone seen these or similar products in Tw available?

I’ve got one of these: simplyphone.lu/ sold under the ‘lobos’ name in Taiwan for around $800NT. It works quite well if your computer isn’t busy doing other stuff.
I’m waiting for that wi-fi one that doesn’t need a computer that I mentioned in another thread.

Niiiiiice!

Oh, how telephone culture is going to change.

I’m not sure I’ve seen one quite like this, truant, just the wired USB ones, and not ones that also plug into the phone line too. That is a NICE product!

Make sure and get one fast and tell us what you think. :stuck_out_tongue:

This linksys one looks cool too, but doesn’t have landline.

B…b…but… I really like that landline option…

yeah me too.

I don’t want much.

Just all this with Skype function with PDA, MP3’s, WIFI. Full keyboard, full display.

Just everything please.

I don’t want much.

Just all this with Skype function with PDA, MP3’s, WIFI. Full keyboard, full display.

Just everything please.[/quote]

That is possible. 2 options:

1. Small screen version: Pocket PC with WIFI (and possibly GSM/GPRS). Install Skype for pocket PC and use it like a phone on skype. If your Pocket PC has GSM then you have the option of making/receiving normal mobile calls too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (get a foldup bluetooth keyboard to go with it)

2. Full size screen and keyboard version: Laptop on WIFI, with bluetooth. Install Skype for Windows/Mac and use it for Skype via the WIFI when in range. When out of range, use the GPRS modem in mobile phone in your pocket via bluetooth. Still use skype.

Personally, I’d go for option 1.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I’ve got one of these: simplyphone.lu/ sold under the ‘lobos’ name in Taiwan for around $800NT. It works quite well if your computer isn’t busy doing other stuff.
I’m waiting for that wi-fi one that doesn’t need a computer that I mentioned in another thread.[/quote]

Where can I buy one of those in Taiwan?

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I’ve got one of these: simplyphone.lu/ sold under the ‘lobos’ name in Taiwan for around $800NT. It works quite well if your computer isn’t busy doing other stuff.
I’m waiting for that wi-fi one that doesn’t need a computer that I mentioned in another thread.[/quote]

Where can I buy one of those in Taiwan?[/quote]I got mine from the shop closest to the stairs in the basement of Nova. I had to ask for it (“Sky-pee”) Here’s is what looks like a list of sellers: lobos.com.tw/news/940125.htm

ipevo.com/free-1bw.jsp

FNAC has got these in pairs for 1599nt. They have got a demo set up there too if you want to try it out.

I bought a couple for christmas presents.

zipcom.com.tw/

A company from Xindian … possible to go there and buy

I am going to get this nice little device next week.

sipura.com/products/spa3000.htm

Some of its features that I think are important:

• It works with all open standard SIP providers (sorry no Skype)
  • One FXO port to connect to the landline
  • One FXS port to connect to your regular analog phone
  • One Ethernet port to connect to you router
  • You can place/receive VoIP calls without turning on your computer
    over your ordinary analog telephone. Meaning that it is absolutely
    transparent, no booting up windows/Linux just to make a phone call.
  • It handles complex dial plans (call USA via VoIP, call Taipei via landline)
    The calls are routed automatically according to the dialed phone number.
  • Call forwarding to landline or VoIP (That the best, if you are sitting at
    the beach in Kenting, and decided that you want to call your
    friend or family in your home country, just to tell them how good life is,
    you can grab your cell phone, call your landline home phone, and tell
    the SPA-3000 to forward your call via VoIP to call your friend at the
    other end of the universe.

I will keep you guys updated, once this device is here. I just hope that it will work in Taiwan. Unfortunately, it is not available here, so you will have to import it.

I wanted to share some experiences with you guys. I finally got my Sipura SPA-3000 properly setup just in time for Christmas. I had to use tutorials I found online, since the manual only includes a quick install guide to set up the IP of the device, so you can access it with your web browser.

After this somewhat difficult configuration phase, everything works like a dream. I can place VoIP calls with my regular analog cordless phone, by just dialing #9 in front of the phone number (I configured it that way for now). Since the provider is located in my home country, I only need to dial the area code, not the country code, and a phone call costs me just 1 Euro cent per minute. If I want to place calls via land line, I just dial whatever I dialed before, so useage is completely transparent. For all this, I don’t need to turn on the computer at all.

Soundquality is excellent. My family told me that it is like a local call. Before I used the notebook and a headset. The mic in the headset used to pick up other sounds, which made the call noisy.

Another advantage is: I am using an imported phone which seems to be incompatible with taiwanese Caller ID encoding, so I got the Sipura to translate between Taiwanese and the phones system.

Overall, this device is an excellent experience, and I hope I can get the PSTN-to-VoIP gateway configured before I leave for Kenting this weekend. Then I can wish my family “Happy New Year” from the beach.

Sipura SPA-3000 - NT$3300 - available in taiwan?
IPvo - NT$1599 (for two) - FNAC
SimplyPhone (Lobos) - NT$800 - “shop closest to the stairs in the basement of Nova”

The feature I really want is cordless. I don’t mind leaving my computer on.
Skype is OK for now.

Yahoo and some other big company are planning to roll out services that undercut Skype’s pricing.

geekgazette.com/index.php?option … &Itemid=31

Anyone got any ideas for a cordless solution?
Get the Sipura and plug in my existing cordless?

I think the other thing people want is a cell phone that also runs Skype and taps into the nearest wireless hotspot.
But the cell phone companies don’t want this, so they will suppress it, like they did with .mp3 cell phones. (they wanted first be sure there was a way to make a buck on them)

That is for two. The build quality is great too.

[quote=“Toe Tag”]Sipura SPA-3000 - NT$3300 - available in taiwan?
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I have not seen it in Taiwan, I was looking all over the place.

I will have to google for those, sounds interesting.

[quote=“Toe Tag”]The feature I really want is cordless. I don’t mind leaving my computer on.
Skype is OK for now.
[/quote]

This is what made me decide for a standalone box, assuming that an average desktop computer has a power consumption of 150W on average.

0.150kW * 24h * 30d * 4NT/kWh = 432 NT$/month

So after 7 months you are saving money. And it is less wasteful.

This is of course just an estimate and might vary depending on you computer.

I am already cheaper than Skype, at least for my home country.

There are some links to them above in the post.
I think they do less than the Sipura, I could be wrong, are they just
USB devices with a dialpad, mike, speaker, and some software to
interface them to Skype?

This is what made me decide for a standalone box, assuming that an average desktop computer has a power consumption of 150W on average.

0.150kW * 24h * 30d * 4NT/kWh = 432 NT$/month

So after 7 months you are saving money. And it is less wasteful.

This is of course just an estimate and might vary depending on you computer.
[/quote]
Agree with not wasting money or electricity, so e.g. I have an old laptop which surely uses little power, dedicated to p2p, print server, skype phone, trillian, media server to xbmc (planned), and google / yahoo widgets. My skype bill is so low that its almost not worth changing, partly because I have no friends, and partly because the few I have are on free skype-to-skype higher fidelity calls. Still, I’m leery of eBay owning Skype.

This is what I’m talkin’ about…

Netgear, Skype developing Wi-Fi phone
Partnership enables Skype users to make calls anywhere they can get a Wi-Fi connection

By Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service

January 05, 2006

Skype users will be able to make calls from anywhere they can get a Wi-Fi Internet connection when Netgear and the Internet voice service provider begin selling a phone that Netgear will demonstrate at the International Consumer Electronics Show this week in Las Vegas.

Phone manufacturers are lining up to supply hardware for fast-growing VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol) services and applications at this year’s CES. The Skype-Netgear partnership unveiled Wednesday will deliver what the companies called the first Wi-Fi phone to deliver the full Skype experience. Skype and Vonage announced other partnerships on Tuesday.

Skype is a peer-to-peer Internet telephony application that typically uses client software loaded on a PC. Talking with other Skype users worldwide is free, and calls to non-Skype users are available for a fee through the SkypeOut service. Netgear’s phone will come with the Skype software pre-loaded so all users need to start making calls is a Skype username and password, the companies said in a press release. The user’s list of Skype contacts will come up automatically. Anywhere the user can get on the Internet via Wi-Fi, including public hotspots, the user will be able to make calls, they said.

More information about the Netgear Skype phone, including pricing and availability dates, will be available later this quarter, according to the release.

The phone will be part of a family of products that the two companies are working on, they said: The companies also are working on a router equipped to optimize Skype calls.

Online auction giant eBay, in San Jose, California, bought Skype last year. Netgear, in Santa Clara, California, makes networking products for homes and small businesses.

I’d like to share with you some expirience I have with VoIP providers .
I use UBIFONE customer package. It has like Skype’s features :PC2 PC , PC2Phone - it works OK . ( Actually I prefer Skype for these calls - sound here little more clear).
Also it has 6 different CallBack solutions : 1. I use Direct CallBack - it is you own number in Singapore - so it is recognizing your call from any place in the world and connect you to anywhere . I used it in Russia, Israel , Thailand ,Canada , Taiwan , Singapore , HongKong . The price is ~2- 4USc/min depent on the country. 2. WEB CallBack - you can connect to you own web site from anywhere and put 2 or more phone numbers. After entering numbers you just wait few seconds for receiving CallBack on your cell or phone.
3. SMS CallBack - same as direct.You just need to send SMS.

Another feature - Virtual Number. You can order the virtual number in Singapore. So anyone can find you by calling here. You have to take care about proper link in you website to what cell/phone number you want this call to be readressed.

They have also MoVoIP device - same features as Sipura. The cost is more higher - 150US$.

I purchased this package from as following as agent ( you can do it on-line from any other agent site - it is same ) .

www.ahava.ubifone.com