Temporary Mausoleums cost $70 milion a year

Another “This is Taiwan” revelation

"Meanwhile, lawmakers from the Taiwan Solidarity Union, noted that the NT$70 million earmarked annually for the maintenance of the mausoleums of the late presidents Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) and Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國) are “obviously excessive” compared with the NT$15.2 million budgeted for the security of former presidents and vice presidents.

TSU legislative caucus convener David Huang said there is no legal basis for the Ministry of National Defense to earmark an annual budget to maintain the mausoleums and assign soldiers to protect them and suggested that the remains of the two late presidents should be buried to save money." (from etaiwannews.com (http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=119727&lang=eng_news&cate_img=83&cate_rss=news_Politics)

Hey Mr. Boogie, I heard that CKS wants to be buried in China his home country and does not want to be buried in Taiwan, even though the ex-dictator has named after him, a park, airport roads and he is even on the money. Also, I thought CCK was buried recently or it was an idea floated by one of his offspring that was running for office. Why not just send them both back to China?

As Hobart ably demonstrates, the purpose of this “revelation” is to provide an opportunity to tell all the “scumbag Chinese” to “go home to China” rather than to save the paltry and insignificant sum of US$2m a year.

Don’t ya just luv Taiwanese “politics”?

Actually, my point was to provide an insight on how money is badly spent. Is there any reason why those US$2M should be spent there? Can we have numbers on how many tourists/visitors those mausoleums have?

Although it is just a drop of water on the Taiwanese Badly Spent Money Account Book, it would for sure mark a start on cleaning it up.