🎾 Tennis - Federer has retired

she wasn’t dainty and polite like all the women before her.

This is incorrect.

1 Like

Ok, then tell me about the actual “character flaws” that she has that make her “not worthy” of being revered as women’s tennis GOAT that aren’t prevalent across all successful male athletes.

That’s another issue. I consider her the GOAT in women’s tennis, even better than Margaret Court.

All previous women players have not been “dainty”. Navratilova and Mauresmo, off the top of my head.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t see this as a male/female thing. In one of the incidents referred to, Williams was legitimately called for a foot fault. Granted, it was at a very important time but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be called then as Williams later asserted “I don’t think anyone should call a foot fault in the semifinals of a Grand Slam at that point…”. Yeah, let’s pick and choose when to enforce the rules of the game. No fouls should be called in basketball final seconds or flags thrown in football overtime. “Hey ref, sure it was a strike but it’s extra innings and bases loaded. Come on!”.

She then went ballistic on the line judge threatening to kill her (The line judge was female too) and shove a ball down her throat. I’ve been watching tennis for decades and this was THE worst display I’ve ever seen. Plenty of male players have had tirades on the court, McEnroe’s “YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS” probably being the most famous. Connors and Nastase also had A**holeish displays against line judges and referees. But even they didn’t rise to the level of threats of violence.

If you’ve never seen it take a look:

Boorish behavior is boorish behavior no matter who it comes from.

After the match Williams offered an apology that seemed much more PR damage control than sincerity that was all about herself.

To circle back to the topic, in one’s wildest imagination you could never dream of Federer showing even 1% of that ugly display. And he was a racket throwing, foul language yelling player in the juniors. Federer tamed his demons and went on to be one of THE classiest players ever.

3 Likes

Yeah he’s a total brat. His anti-science crap is just the icing on the cake.

I just watched the video without audio and it looks like an athlete that’s upset and talking to the judges and then she goes over and shakes the opponent’s hand and they walk off the court. I really don’t follow sports, but you want to tell me this video is the highest level of “threats of violence” in sports? :joy:

Not sure how you can grasp the totality of the incident watching without sound. Why would you?

She went over and shook her opponent’s hand because the officials called a point penalty on her for her tirade thus causing her to lose the match on penalties at that point.

You are putting words in my mouth. I never said it was the highest level of “threats of violence” in sports. I said:

Tennis – not all sports. Obviously there have been worse examples in other sports.

Yes, I can tell.

And I didn’t even get into the other example the author cited.

Again, compare it to the exemplary manner of Roger Federer, both of whom dominated the same era.

2 Likes

What does that mean?

1 Like

Some kid’s nice little tribute to him. Probably for big Federer fans only. It starts out a little cheesy but gets better in the second, longer part. Good production value and some great shots (like at 38 secs) and nice scenes of RF at various points in his career.

1 Like
1 Like

I liked the time McEnroe got pissed off at the chair umpire once and yelled at him, “Grow some hair!”
That was funny!

Steffi Graf is the woman’s GOAT in the modern era. Her stats are off the charts for someone who retired at age 30.

1 Like