šŸŽ¾ Tennis - Federer has retired

Bigger news for than QE2. Wow, end of an era.

1 Like

Itā€™s about time. Heā€™s like 100.

Thatā€™s completely untrue lol.

1 Like

Show some respect!

I hope Djokovic retires soon. Heā€™s awful.

1 Like

It would happen eventually. Arguably the GOAT. Inarguably one of the greatest and imo totally changed the game.

Heā€™s actually quite good at tennis.

4 Likes

Well heā€™s an anti-vax nutjob.

2 Likes

My body, my choice, unless I donā€™t like it.
Very liberal of you.

5 Likes

Really? I donā€™t follow tennis, but Serena Williamsā€™ retirement has bombarded my general global news feed, practically every news podcast, etc. for nearly a month now. Itā€™s only because I logged onto forumosa that I saw that Federer has retired. The death of The Queen, certainly, is still bigger news than Federer retiring.

1 Like

I missed out ā€˜meā€™ after for.

1 Like

Djokovic isnā€™t straightforward when it comes to vaccines. Heā€™s not opposed to vaccines, heā€™s opposed to any medical intervention for him as an individual. He thinks he can beat any illness through willpower.

Guy is a 1,000 % class act. Is a true role model for any kid who aims to follow in his footsteps. Just wish we had more athletes like him. I know Iā€™ll miss seeing him on the court.

1 Like

Heā€™s not just anti-vax. Heā€™s kind of just an asshole through and through.

A lot of people come across as arseholes but probably arenā€™t.

But he speaks very highly of you :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Heā€™s had millions of asshole moments over the years. I am not gonna name them all but he is unpopular, at least divisive, for a reason. Even before his braindead Adria Tour in 2020 and the whole Australia fiasco in 2021, he was widely unpopular. Unlike Federer and Nadal who have always been quite universally loved, or at least respected.

A huge loss to tennis! But not a surprise. 41 and hasnā€™t played a major since canā€™t remember when. Time waits for no one.

Itā€™s a clichĆ© but Federer was poetry in motion. Such beautiful strokes; impeccable timing and touch. All wrapped in a great class act. At least one of the GOATs and a mensch throughout. Au revoir Roger. I doubt weā€™ll see your likes again.

With him gone I am losing my interest in tennis, which was a lifelong passion. Once Nadal lost at the Open I stopped checking in. Couldnā€™t even name the finalists, I kinda heard of Alcaraz, the menā€™s winner, but knew neither of the women finalists.

Part of this is not having cable TV here and having no access to watching the majors anymore beyond 2 minute highlights on the web sites. How do you guys watch tennis here?

Completely agree. I was delighted when he was barred from the US Open. A little spoiled brat. Only one worse on the tour I can think of is Kyrgious, a real piece of s**t.

As for her, I offer this:

https://thetriad.thebulwark.com/p/serena-and-maga?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

An excerpt:

ā€œSport is not just about winning. Itā€™s about life and the human condition. You can be the GOAT and not be an especially appealing human being. You can be the GOAT and also be a cautionary tale, actually. Just get a load of this guy.ā€ (Michael Jordon) People appreciate Jordanā€™s on-court accomplishments. But he isnā€™t revered the way Bill Russell was. Russellā€™s character taught us a lot about being our best selves. You would be exceptionally proud if your kid grew up to be Bill Russell. No one actually wants their kid to be like Mike.

Now Serena isnā€™t a monster like Jordan. But she also isnā€™t Russell. Two of the worst displays of character youā€™ll ever see in tennis came from Serena. And there were other, more pedestrian, incidents, too.

I donā€™t really get the point of this article. Theyā€™re making a character judgement about a woman who is fundamentally different from all the other women in tennis who came before her, based on the fact that she wasnā€™t dainty and polite like all the women before her. She defended herself and stood up for her self when she felt that referees were being ridiculously unreasonable. Name any male athlete that accomplished as much as Serena Williams that was dainty and polite. You wanna tell me male athletes never yell at refs over bad calls? They never show their aggression with physical force? Why even bring up the idea that she could be a ā€œmonsterā€ simply because sheā€™s changed the idea of who a good female tennis star can be? That article is literally saying ā€œshe had some moments that challenged my idea of what the GOAT in womenā€™s tennis should be, therefore maybe we shouldnā€™t think so highly of her.ā€

1 Like

Itā€™s always a tragedy when a multi-millionaire has to hang up his Alice band.