Test for the grammar police

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6228071.stm

I scored 7/7, but after a lot of staring into space and trying not to let my gaze slide to the dictionary on my desk. Hard to get all these right without reference, so I’m going to take the rest of the day off in celebration.

(Americans, I think you’ll find this harder due to a usage thingy where we UKanians make things unnecessarily complicated.)

EDIT: A few spoilers in the replies below. Best to do the test before reading about Sandman’s reading problems or what word Americans spell wrongly.

It hung up on the 5th question. I reloaded it and reran it but it hung up again. Then I figured out you were supposed to DRAG the 5th word to the blank instead of just clicking like the other items. :laughing: The questions were very good – the type that confuse the average poorly educated native speaker. I imagine most experienced English teachers would do well on it, though. However, only British spelling was allowed, which is a bit unfair. It gave me a 6/7 but in fact my answers were all correct by American standards. For this and the badly designed 5th item, I would fire the test developers. :smiling_imp:

That was disturbingly easy.

Question three also has two possible correct answers, depending on whether you’ve got more than one aunt who makes good pies.

[quote=“sandman”]Question three also has two possible correct answers, depending on whether you’ve got more than one aunt who makes good pies.[/quote]You failed your reading test, the question says there’s one aunt.

And there’s a full stop missing from the topic title (even though it’s not actually a sentence).

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“sandman”]Question three also has two possible correct answers, depending on whether you’ve got more than one aunt who makes good pies.[/quote]You failed your reading test, the question says there’s one aunt.
[/quote]
Couldn’t help it. Didn’t read the question. Too busy thinking about how my moustache is so much manlier-lloking than that of the glum fellow in the picture.

I got 4/7 & my parents spent a fortune on my education. How I (and they) wish I listened in class. :sleepy:

Question 6 is British spelling (well, it is BBC, but honestly!!). In the US, “practice” (both noun and verb) is always spelled with a “c”.

oops.