Test Yourself: Implicit Bias

Read about this Harvard research program in “Blink”. It’s a very quick and not-so-easy test for implicit bias.

I’m still working through them, but so far, ugh. :blush: :frowning:

[quote=“Jaboney”]Read about this Harvard research program in “Blink”. It’s a very quick and not-so-easy test for implicit bias.

I’m still working through them, but so far, ugh. :blush: :frowning:[/quote]

damn J, I thought you had NO bias!

:doh: jdsmith, haven’t you read anything I’ve written about lil’ Georgie Bush?

[quote=“Jaboney”]Read about this Harvard research program in “Blink”. It’s a very quick and not-so-easy test for implicit bias.

I’m still working through them, but so far, ugh. :blush: :frowning:[/quote]

I guess the “ugh” implies that you don’t like to have any bias. Don’t you think that stereotypes are useful much of the time?

As for me, the first test I took:

I think being familiar with Asian faces allowed me to quickly decide which category to choose.

And my second test:

I feel like I started to make more mistakes near the end of the test once they switched sides. I’m not sure that it’s the association of Male with Science but more the familiarity of the terms and my ability to group them.

Oh, I know there’s implicit bias lurking around in my head. That wasn’t it.

Actually, I had precisely the experience Gladwin describes in his book. When categories were mixed up I suddenly stalled; it was really hard to answer some questions. Total brain cramp.

I note that they used the word “extravert”…shouldn’t that be “extrovert”?

Wouldn’t extravert mean “extra green”?

Thicko Harvard Plonker. Standard of education in America really is piss-poor.

BroonAmiable

Why would I need to test myself for Bias? In which Direction? I already know I’m biased, and you should too. Everyone is biased. Even maintaining that one has no Bias, is a form of Bias in and of itself.

true objectivity is a myth.

[quote=“BroonAle”]I note that they used the word “extravert”…shouldn’t that be “extrovert”?

Wouldn’t extravert mean “extra green”?

Thicko Harvard Plonker. Standard of education in America really is piss-poor.

BroonAmiable[/quote]

Maybe it should be extrovert but psychologists always spell it that funny extraverted way. Funny that you didn’t know about that. Perhaps some kind of bias against psychologists, or is it a bias against misspelings?

This I agree with. Of course everyone is biased. I’ve stated that about a hundred times on this forum.

I don’t agree with this.

It is possible to be objective despite our biases.