Tested Indian recipes

Mace. Yeah. I can’t find it anywhere. Oh well.

I wouldn’t worry about it. There are so many spices in each of these dishes that leaving one minor one out can’t have that much effect. Anyway, since it’s part of the nutmeg, and is described as a pungent nutmeg, just substitute some nutmeg! :idunno:

sounds familiar :smiley:

Ehem, you’ve told them about the sauces, right, and the pickled onions and chilli thinghies, right? We do not want them wrapping the naams without those. :lick:

nah no pickles yet. You liked the pickles, chillies and onions…mmmmmmm…some adventurer you are!

Like I said, Mr Rousseau, I used a dash of turmeric and marsala. Make it your own. It’s a damn fine recipe, but innovation is the key. Whatever turns you on. When cooking, always adapt and adjust to taste. Mace? I prefer the taste of tear gas. Too pungent for my liking. Make it your own.

I haven’t gotten that far yet. Enlighten us. :lick:

DB no north Indian meal is complete without a side dish of ‘cheap’ pickles. Historically, pickling was expensive so the lay man just cut up onions to add a flavour t his bland daal-chawal or a porridge like mixture of the two caled khichdi. However now, most homes, slice onions, sprinkle salt and lemon juice on them, or slightly fry up salted green chilies to bite into. Most restaurants take the smallest of onions available and soak them in vinegar for a day or two. The teary thing and smell vanishes but the crunch and taste are still there.

FYI raw onions, supposedly protect you from heat stroke therefore the consumption increases in the summers.

Ah, interesting. So how are these eaten? Do you sprinkle them atop other food, pick them up with the fingers separately, scoop them up in naan etc., or what?

Also, what would a couple typical meals look like? I made the mistake of putting chicken and dal together, for instance. So what would you serve with a chicken dish? A mutton dish? What does dal go well with? What would raita go with? How do you use chutneys? I’ve never seen or had one. I think the chief owes me a jar of chutney from our last word game. :smiley:

There are some lovely ones here:

indianfoodforever.com/chutney/

Guess what Jimi’s making today! :stuck_out_tongue:

Onions, chilies and pickles are separately scooped and eaten after every couple of bites. Kind of like Kimchi. Chutneys are always served in the plate, and eaten in little licks. Usually a standard HOME meal consists of 2 main dishes, raita, chutney and/or onions, rotis/rice. Dal is had with a fried veggie and rice like you guys had the other day.

Chicken is not served with any other dish other than the accompaniments mentioned above. Lamb too. The idea is usually to have a curry dish, one dry dish, a curd/yoghurt dish, onion/chilies, some chutney. Dry dishes are mostly stir fried veggies.

Oh, the mini-onios, some would even have some reddish color… MMmmmm :lick:

Actually, I am a big cheat because back home we have something similar, as you say, made with lemons or vinegar. Ceviche de cebolla we call it.

LOL. I am using the Spanish food names for Indian similar dishes. Breakfast was my favorite time, we had arroz y frijoles (rice and beans, or lentils) plus picadillo (the potato crurry thinghie) and tortillas (naam or any other flat bread).

For dessert we had arroz con leche (rice pudding) and cajeta (the milk sweet with pumkin).

Hence, I felt right at home. :smiley:

Icon Indian is very close to mexican…the Arroz con Leche is Kheer and exactly same except for the consistency, we use tomatoes, coriander and onions like you . And what are tortillas if not rotis?? ALl Indian kids grow up eating veggies rolled into rotis like a wrap…you are so right!! Somany Indians feel at home in Texas (for the cuisine) especially vegetarians who otherwise get frustrated, in the what can we eat department.

PS. The red colour comes from the vinegar, the onions change colour.

Those sweet pickled onions are divine. I would love to be able to make or get them in Taiwan. I tried it with small Thai onions, but they had too much sulfur and weren’t a true sweet onion.

[quote=“divea”]Onions, chilies and pickles are separately scooped and eaten after every couple of bites. Kind of like Kimchi. Chutneys are always served in the plate, and eaten in little licks. Usually a standard HOME meal consists of 2 main dishes, raita, chutney and/or onions, rotis/rice. Dal is had with a fried veggie and rice like you guys had the other day.

Chicken is not served with any other dish other than the accompaniments mentioned above. Lamb too. The idea is usually to have a curry dish, one dry dish, a curd/yoghurt dish, onion/chilies, some chutney. Dry dishes are mostly stir fried veggies.[/quote]

Ah, thanks divea! :slight_smile: As soon as we both stop hacking like TB patients, I want to resume my forays into Indian food. I’m making some non-sweet :blush: yogurt now!

great weather to do it. Although if you are coughing, yoghurt is best avoided. Sour and cold, big no no for coughs.

Get well Soon!

How about masala tea? :smiley:

You can get excellent real plain yogurt at Breeze Super.

Or from a bowl in my kitchen! :smiley:

superb for coughs and for a chat with friends. You can always get a cuppa at my place :smiley: