Testing the new Subforums - give feedback and comments

[quote=“sandman”]What are you going to do with my forum?[/quote]He’s going to cut it up into little pieces, then jump up and down on them, then burn them.

PS. Why is Learning Chinese listed under leisure ? :loco: Who does that for pleasure ? (except Ironlady)

I have no idea what you’re talking about. What are you going to do with my forum?[/quote]
Sandman, have a look at the notes from last Sunday’s Monderators’s Brunch. I think there are also posts about the Subforums idea and Restaurants was specifically mentioned. I’m sorry it’s coming as a surprise to you

I have no idea what you’re talking about. What are you going to do with my forum?[/quote]
Sandman, have a look at the notes from last Sunday’s Monderators’s Brunch. I think there are also posts about the Subforums idea and Restaurants was specifically mentioned. I’m sorry it’s coming as a surprise to you[/quote]
I see what it is now. Thanks for the notes.

What about a Sub-Forum in:

Living in Taiwan

Where can I find?

Can’t think about any other areas but anywhere that being in a specific area is of importance to the discussion.

IMHO you are on the right track

Would it be possible that if in a section like “Where can I find” That if there is mention about a certain city or area that it would automatically go into the Sub_Forum?

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]What about a Sub-Forum in:

Living in Taiwan

Where can I find?

Can’t think about any other areas but anywhere that being in a specific area is of importance to the discussion.

IMHO you are on the right track

Would it be possible that if in a section like “Where can I find” That if there is mention about a certain city or area that it would automatically go into the Sub_Forum?[/quote]
Thank you for the suggestions

Do you mean change our “Where Can I Find/Miscellaneous Forum” into a Sub-forum of “Living in Taiwan”? Since most of the forums are about living in Taiwan already, wouldn’t having “Where Can I Find” on the front page be more convenient? Maybe if we move the 2 forums closer together we’d achieve what you are after

Concerning your question about automatic movement of a post, I expect such a function would require programming that is more sophisticated than what our current server and budget could handle. Instead, we rely on our volunteer moderators and Forumosans who want to make the forums as accessible to ask many people and as organized as possible.

What about this…

If you click on the “Where can I find…” from the main page then the Sub-forums of North, South, Central Taiwan will come up. Depending on where you live you will then click on that sub-forum.

For example if I am looking for sour cream and I live in the south then I will click on the South section and either do a search or make a new post there.

Looks like I misunderstood you. You mean that the Living in Taiwan Forum and the Where Can I Find Forum should also have geographic subforums?

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

I got to read the mod forum today. Not done yet, I have it open in another window. That stuff you wrote about me is… :noway: :fume: And I can’t believe you guys got jd to do that strip-dance at the moderator’s “Brunch”. :astonished: I’m still trying to find out what he did to deserve that but I don’t understand the inside jokes so I have to do another search.

My name does not appear green yet btw. Can someone fix that please?

Thank you kindly,

bobepine

For sure with the “Where can I find” forum.

There might be difficulties with doing it with the “Living in Taiwan” forum.

There are a lot of things that aren’t region specific.

I guess things that aren’t related to a certain region could just simply go below the sub-forums.

I am moderating Living, Events and WCIF.

I think putting them in Living would be overkill. I am just getting used to them in Events from a mod’s POV, so if we can hold off for a few days or so putting them into WCIF and I’ll let you know.

Sounds ok tho.

Well, I have been using and moderating Events with the subforums, and to be honest, my impression is that I DONT like them.

I have noticed that for some things such as hikes which are technically outside Taipei are remaining in the Main Events area. I guess it is my job to move these thread out of the Taipei area and into the Northern, outside Taipei subforum, but I suspect if i do that then people looking for the hike will miss it.

Also, as a user, I find it a bit of a hassle to go to 2 seperate forums to see what’s going on in and aorund Taipei.

What I would rather see is 1 forum for all events, but the relative subforums have the events organised by locations - kinda of like a filter or query. This way if you want to see what is going on in general, 1 forum will do, otherwise do a specific filter/query and look at the results for a give location.

I’m not sure what others think, but I find the sub forums for event locations a bit of a hassle.

Could the division by area possibly be done for the jobs section? It gets annoying clicking on jobs only to find out you’re in the wrong part of Taiwan.

I’m planning to close the Jobs Forum as soon as possible*, in favor of the new Forumosafieds

“City” is a required field in all of the ads there (the list of cities and districts come courtesy of www.romanization.com :slight_smile:)

I’ll look to make City appear in the job list summary so it will be easy to pick thru.

• ASAP means that I’ll remove or suspend the Forumosa Classified Forums this week if possible.

Hey Gus,

Maybe this has been asked and answered already, and excuse me if it has. Just link me and I’ll shut up. BUT…wondering wassup’ with this double underlined linking thing that’s been going on? As in: company

Okay, company recieved the treatment in another thread and as I previewed this post, but now it doesn’t. This place is making me look foolish. :wink:

[quote=“Old Gobbo”]Hey Gus,

Maybe this has been asked and answered already, and excuse me if it has. Just link me and I’ll shut up. BUT…wondering wassup’ with this double underlined linking thing that’s been going on? As in: company

Okay, company recieved the treatment in another thread and as I previewed this post, but now it doesn’t. This place is making me look foolish. :wink:[/quote]
Hi

I’m not sure what you mean, but it sounds like your computer/browser has a some spyware or an ad agent installed. The kind that pick our key words in the pages you look at.

Download Ad Aware or another Spycatcher and do a sweep of your system.

Good luck - I hate those things

It would be nice if Events posted in the sub-forums also went into the event forum. Especially as the advent of sub-forums means the main events page is even more taipei-centric.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]It would be nice if Events posted in the sub-forums also went into the event forum. Especially as it means the main events page is even more Taipei-centric.[/quote]That can be done by moving the thread to another forum but keeping the original shadow thread, those are the ones that say “moved”

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Matchstick_man”]It would be nice if Events posted in the sub-forums also went into the event forum. Especially as it means the main events page is even more Taipei-centric.[/quote]That can be done by moving the thread to another forum but keeping the original shadow thread, those are the ones that say “moved”[/quote] But then we have to post it in the main Events thread then wait for a moderator to move it when there’s the option of posting it straight in the sub-forum. :s

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]But then we have to post it in the main Events thread then wait for a moderator to move it.[/quote]Yes, or post it in the sub forum and wait for a moderator to copy it to the main forum, I don’t know if it can be done automatically, but that way is possible.

I have mentioned earlier in this thread that I do not support subforums in Events by location, mainly for the reason that feedback I am getting from posters is that it can be a hassle to check on the different forums to see what is going on.
I agree that if an item is in a subforum, then it shoudl also be in the main forum, and leaving a shadow topic is the best solution to this.

If the sub forums must remain, can I make one suggestion:

Make the Events subforums have “no new threads allowed”. Then, everyone posts in the main events forum, and I (or 914) will go thru and move the relevant threads while leaving a shadow in the main events forum. A PM from the OP would be the best way to ensure this happens fast.