😷 COVID - Covid Tests to take a flight

Did the PCR test certificate you got in Taiwan for flying state the precise time the sample was taken or only the date, but not the hour, please?

It listed the time down to the second (for example, 13:40:02) it also listed the time it was sent to the lab, and the time it was diagnosed. very thorough.

2 Likes

ok - it’s a bit complicated - I received 2 signed and stamped docs from Far Eastern:

1. Identifies the date
  2. Identifies the date and time

Both docs indicate a negative PCR test - the only difference was the wording… At the airport I do not remember which one they looked at - though they were quite thorough in the review (checking name, test etc.). Once I arrived in the U.S they were not so thorough, basically a cursory review immediately after we deplaned (on the gangway). They scanned the doc and did not check name, date etc. (they took about 3 secs after I handed them the paper for my wife and I). In the U.S there were no other checks.

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t see anyone getting their test results checked in Seattle. Must just be totally random. Eva in Taipei was very thorough in checking though, which I appreciated.

1 Like

Mine looked like the following. Cathay Pacific check-in desk investigated very carefully, and so did the departure gate staff at the Hong Kong Airport.

1 Like

I am planning to book a flight back to Europe and the destination I am going to does not need a COVID-19 test result certificate on arrival.

However, I am wondering if I need one to be able to depart from Taoyuan Airport these days?

1 Like

No clue. But if you transit anywhere, the transit country might require it too.

I have checked and my travel route do not require any negative covid-19 results on arrival.

I have been trying to find information about Taiwan’s airport policy but have not seen anything about needing a certificate on departure but it would not surprise me during the current strict circumstances.

Call the airline directly. I’m pretty sure testing is based on destination countries, not TW regulations. TW would not want another positive case if that individual is on their way out either…

That sounds reasonable and I hope that is the case. According to the airline website and their policy it is explicitly stated that no certificate needs to be provided as of the current date. This is the case in most countries in Europe at the moment.

However, I will see if it is possible to reach them tomorrow or early next week about confirmation.

I believe the airport has a policy that you can’t get past security and into the boarding area unless you’re certified wuhan free, but that’s just because it makes sense. I’d be happy to learn what you find.

TLDR; I do not need a negative COVID19 test certificate.

Just received confirmation from both the Taoyuan airport and the airline I will fly with to Europe.

1. The airport will only check your temperature and the mandatory QR-scan we are all familiar with.
  2. The airlines are regulated according to the destination countries current COVID19 policies. In my case, the country I will travel to do not require any COVID19 test on arrival. Thus, I do not need to bring any COVID19 negativt test result certificate to check in at the Airport terminal or when arriving at my destination.
2 Likes

Many US states don’t require it, but they will have passengers that arrive from outside the US quarantine upon arrival unless they’ve taken the wuhan test and registered with…? - some agency whose name I forget.
That would be uncomfortable - will the country you’re going to require that international passengers arriving undergo quarantine if they haven’t taken the test?

All foreigners need to quarantine and show proof of negative covid results. For residents they do not require any quarantine at the moment which is the case for most EU based countries at the moment. However, this was not the situation just 1-2 months ago and will probably change again according to the new trends. I will regardless do my own social distance regardless and take my own responsibility.

I think the US defines ‘foreigners’ according to the origin of the plane that they arrive on, so it doesn’t matter if you are a born and raised US American or not. No negative PCR and no registration with the agency whose name I forgot = quarantine for you.

I’m sure you have a handle on it, but I bring it up because an unexpected quarantine would probably not be option A!

You need a negative PCR test to fly to the US, period. There is no quarantine upon arrival in the US, but without a negative test you’re not even getting on the plane, so it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Not so. It is as I wrote - or at least in one state according to what I was told by the good folks here.

If it were as you wrote I wouldn’t have corrected you. :wink: Trust me, you’re not getting on a plane to the US right now without a negative PCR test. Feel free to try it if you’d like.

The US CDC says negative covid test required for everyone:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

2 Likes

ESTA?