Texas Border Spat - Finally some common sense prevails

Yeah, fat chance of that happening. Fot what it’s worth and despite all their finger pointing and blaming the Democrats I dont think the Republican leadership (or at least the old guard leadership) want it fixed either, I guess they have thier reasons too.

A lot of pretending going on.

Don’t need new legislation. Biden ignores existing laws he could use.

1 Like

Border issue definitely needs solving. It is not an easy issue to solve either, like some think it is. We are talking thousands of miles along very rugged, inhospitable terrain.

It is certainly a massive security threat to any country, to have people coming in through illegal channels. Having a secure border is a vital element of having a secure state.

The sad part is, is that there are a lot of innocent hurting people that get caught up in this situation and really do need help. It seems virtually impossible to balance the tight rope of helping them while also effectively filtering out the threats.

At the end of the day, no one should be blamed or guilted for wanting their country to have secure borders and a feeling of safety – even if that means citizens from other countries fall through the cracks in the process of preserving this safety. It’s just reality, as much as it is terrible. Surely more can be done to help Mexico/Central America/South America help their citizens. Increasingly, there are people all over the world seeking to cross the border – and it can be assured a fair chunk of them are not simply economic refugees/have good intentions. I am tired of my country not doing enough to curb these types specifically from getting in.

Maybe I don’t know what I don’t know here, but I think I have enough understanding of this issue to feel confident many more measures should be taken. The populist WALL idea seems good at a distance, but frankly it’s way too antiquated/insufficient for the various threats posed by smugglers in 2024. Tunnels, boats, etc. all easily can circumvent walls. There really aren’t simple solutions that will be the magic bullet here. Way more money and tech needs to be put into border enforcement for there to be tangible impact.

We can’t just be doormats and naively think nothing bad will come of being half-assed with border security – or stick our heads in the sand when catching wind of bad things that have directly resulted from lax enforcement. It’s the real world, grit and all – most Americans have forgotten what that is like, as we have become so accustomed to and comfortable in our (dimming by the year) utopia.

what are you referring to here?

To be fair, its not just the “old guard” Republicans and Democrats – which we all know you despise – that are guilty of this pretending. Trumpians, including the beloved Steven Bannon, certainly engaged in the bullshit as well, at criminal levels even:

Just want to point out the characters supposedly meant the Cantonese language in the video actually says Cantonese cuisine.

“Despise” I dont think is the right word, contempt is probably better fitting and don’t worry about it being some US thing, that’s just how I feel about most politicians, left or right and from anywhere.

For example they keep trotting Biden out and its like watching a Monty Python skit about a dead parrot except the store keeper is being played by the media pretending old age hasn’t caught up with him as he can barely form a coherent sentence, if people cant see it then its like the dead parrot sketch and why bother discussing something with people who like the store keeper just seem to be dishonest.

There was another one not long ago, some Senator pulled the fire alarm and then claimed he thought it was to open a door, everyone knows he was lying and yet the media and I think it was the view who ran to his defense claiming his excuse sounded reasonable. Its not and being contemptuous of of a bunch of pathological liars seems quite appropriate.

U.S. Rep Jamaal Bowman. A fine Democrat representing New York’s 16th Congressional District.

Denied pulling the fire alarm until the CCTV came out. Claimed he didn’t realize it was a fire alarm, despite it being red with the word FIRE on it.

House censures Democratic Rep. Bowman for pulling a fire alarm in Capitol | AP News

1 Like