Texas Border Spat - Finally some common sense prevails

Texas has rightfully told Biden to go shove it and is now doing the federal governments job in protecting the border. This comes after Biden has “smashed records for illegal immigration”

2 Likes

A bit of the back story:

Letter to the Speaker of the House, dated 17-Jan-2024, from former FBI offficials.

The threat we call out today is new and unfamiliar. In its modem history the U.S. has never suffered an invasion of the homeland and, yet, one is unfolding now. Military aged men from across the globe, many from countries or regions not friendly to the United States, are landing in waves on our soil by the thousands – not by splashing ashore from a ship or parachuting from a plane but rather by foot across a border that has been accurately advertised around the world as largely unprotected with ready access granted.

It would be difficult to overstate the danger represented by the presence inside our borders of what is comparatively a multi-division army of young single adult males from hostile nations and regions whose background, intent, or allegiance is completely unknown. They include individuals encountered by border officials and then possibly released into the country, along with a shockingly high estimate of “gotaways” – meaning those who have entered and evaded apprehension.

For these reasons, elements of this recent surge are likely no accident or coincidence. These men are potential operators in what appears to be an accelerated and strategic penetration, a soft invasion, designed to gain internal access to a country that cannot be invaded militarily in order to inflict catastrophic damage if and when enemies deem it necessary.

Former-FBI-letter-illegal-immigration-January-17-2024.pdf (legalinsurrection.com)

3 Likes

Fixing the border and immigration requires an act of Congress.

Something both parties have kicked down the road for years.

But some Republicans are actively working against something that might have the closest chance for bipartisan support in years because Trump doesn’t want Biden to have a win on the issue. But Biden!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/republicans-border-deal-mitch-mcconnell-mike-johnson-congress-president-biden-726b18e6

1 Like

Sure, we need new legislation for a long term fix.

Not in the short term. In the short term Biden could work with Texas on the border. One way to thwart the threat in the (former) FBI letter would be to allow razor wire to stand in some parts of the Rio Grande. But, you know, Trump!

1 Like

Fuck that. We’re not animals…

1 Like

Said the IDF on 6-Oct.

1 Like

That seems to be the narrative the media is pushing, some are already digging into quotes that apparently some Senators already have while others are being critical of those on social media weighing in because apparently the final details have yet to be written.

It would seem common sense to me therefore if people are being accused of spreading misinformation by being critical and speculating, the same applies to those touting the deal as amazing.

We dont know the details of the bill yet, or am I missing something?

There’s quite a difference in the situation there.

Plural, yes.

I’m just pointing out that, today, we have former FBI officials communicating what they determine to be a potential threat coming from our Southern border. If they’re correct, and “divisions” of young non-Latino men are streaming through today then it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see an American 7-Oct in our future.

Seems to me a threat the response to which could withstand a little razor wire criticism.

Well, as far as “foreign enemies”, I know the Chinese purposely turn themselves in. There’s a whole process in place called “ 潤學” (runxue) that specifically dictates they need to get caught crossing illegally, turn themselves in, then escape off to Chinatowns around the US when they are inevitably released with a court date. How do you propose that gets solved?

1 Like

As someone who actually lived on the border, I just want to throw out a quick reminder that the border is not neatly along the Rio Grand, as the river has deviated from the original border.

Except for areas near important checkpoints where we turned the Rio Grand into a concrete storm drain, in plenty of places, the US has territory on the other side of the Rio Grand. In other cases, Mexico has territory on this side of the Rio Grand. Often times people have properties on those… can they count as exclaves?

Both dudes have impressive credentials. But were last in the FBI ~17 years ago. Is there any reason to think they have any particular insight into the current threat situation at the border?

The comments in the letter about the traditional security at the border is also, frankly, nonsense.

The recent shift in language to “military aged men” on the right has also elicited a huge eye roll - that would be same “working aged men” that’s always come over, right? And so many that they’d be “divisions” in the military are also the so many that’s required to fill processing plants and fields (and Devin Nunes’s family’s farm).

But I agree, we should have a better understanding of who’s crossing the border. Which is only going to happen with actual immigration reform, not razor wire.

Let me tell a story (might be a repeat - not sure if I told it here before; if so, sorry in advance) I arrived at Kandahar after some time on a bunch of FOBs COBs, and COPs while we were doing the big drawdowns in Afghanistan. It was a weird ass shift going to a big assed airfield. Kandahar was a very well armed (everyone in the military carried, a bunch of contractors as well) small city (peaked at over 35k people). I’m not sure where we were at population wise at that time, but I know some of the better regarded DFACs were no longer operational. :smiley: But the entire facility was basically a small army and its support staff in 6 sq miles.

The entire border was fenced, with a combo of t-walls and chain link with razor wire that has electronic surveillance, and access control is obviously in force. PTIDS are in the air 24/7, There are constant patrols inside and outside the fence, and operations right up to the fence all around. Not to mention all the random military personnel inside the fence, who are all armed, and the constant ISR and MIR/CAS vehicles overhead, manned and unmanned.

What’s the point you ask? The point is, even there, it was estimated that some 25% of non 5-eye contractors were there illegally - like most illegals in the US, they overstayed their authorization. And the first week I was there, there were 3 incursions of the fenceline that were of enough concern that the entire sector was shut down, attack alarms were raised, everyone into armor, and into concrete ‘shelters’. There were many other incursions that didn’t raise the alarms like that (for normal thievery usually).

If, with those types of assets and that number of personnel, with that amount of money being spent, in such a small area, with much higher stakes, the border can’t be reliably secured, how much are you willing to spend on personnel, drones, and sensors (good ir sensors aren’t cheap - cheap mwir sensors are $100k+, and don’t have the optics to be much use beyond a few km. good ones cost millions), and why the fuck are we arguing about border theatrics that will only hurt poor people trying to have a shot at a better life (any actual international terrorists aren’t gonna be stopped by this) rather than focusing on the fucknuts that are preventing immigration reform?

2 Likes

How do you know the proposed reforms are any good?

I asked before but got no answer. If congressmen are being critical of those on social media speculating and apparently spreading false information, wheres your information coming from that suggests this deal is the bees knees or the best thing since sliced bread?

edit/ Seems like the media is running with a new narrative which you are choosing to repeat but have no idea why.

The fact that the GOP has openly admitted they’re going to delay any discussion or votes on the reforms until November so they can hurt Biden’s chance at re-election trumps any discussion about whether or not the reforms are any good. Border solutions have been proposed already. Lets hear them NOW, not wait almost a full year.

Bidens been in power for 3 years and hasn’t done anything, but now its an election year and its something which he knows is pissing people off all of a sudden its urgent to get a bill passed or else its the Republicans fault.

All the while no one knows what the bill is and some I guess who are speculating based on a draft version are being told to shut up because the final details have yet to be worked out.

People look at the number of people coming to the country and see the numbers have gone through the roof under Biden. Once you get into the blame game I think most people start to zone out. Its happening under Bidens Presidency, thats where most people will lay the blame.

1 Like

I’m glad we agree on that, but once again I’ll point out that this would be a short term solution until something comprehensive is made law.

Because what we need is not theatrics, we can agree on that, but something at least approaching effective in the short term. Especially if what’s coming in has turned from construction workers to soldiers — which may or may not be the case.

This is just wrong; it is not a plank of the GOP to delay votes, and it’s especially not a plank to delay fair and open discussion. I’m sure some members of the GOP have said something perhaps resembling this stance, perhaps even those in roles of leadership.

No, it’s not as simple as “Rio Grande completely marks US border with Mexico.” It’s helpful shorthand for me, though, used to convey a general idea.

I will point out again that former FBI writing such a letter is significant, and deserves serious consideration.

It also bears pointing out another requirement of any long-term solution, and that is enforcing the new (comprehensive) law.

Biden isn’t even enforcing what’s on the books, so pfft for a future where Biden resides in the WH because a selective enforcement is most likely if he wins reelection.

Again, the US needs a new resident in the WH asap.

1 Like

Less than that, it seems his administration is trying to block States who try to stop illegal immigrants from entry.

If we stop the pretending, Democrats it seems based on their actions going back years if not decades seem to have adopted an open door policy. They don’t say that because they know it would be unpopular but do it anyway.

3 Likes

I think their stance is that the US will be handicapped by demographics with bringing significant manufacturing back from China unless we have more workers asap, and they’ve determined that citizenship, or even following the law, is less important.

Ironic because while the birthrate may not be high enough to achieve those goals, it’s likely his administration’s stupid emphasis on climate change and social justice and the general handicapping of effort via regulation that makes child rearing seem such a burden these days. It also doesn’t help that an indulged left wing of the Democrat party seems to be obsessed with talking the nation into a kind of mass suicide, which frankly has been going on forever. It’s just that now they’re more empowered than ever. They have a megaphone in Biden.

Would be nice of the administration would make this clear to US voters, but unlikely. Absolutely ruinous to law and order, of course, an outcome we already see playing out in urban America.