Text about Shopee package I didn't buy

Hello, I received a text from an unknown number that translated to

Please go to the Shopee Tucheng Central Store before 2023-10-25 to pick up the package with tracking number XYZ (the delivery status is mainly based on the Shopee App).

But I have never used Shopee. Does this seem like someone has access to one of my debit/credit cards or something?

How long have you had your phone number?

I doubt someone has your card details, but maybe it’s for the previous owner of the number. I think with your phone number you might be able to log into Shopee and check (not 100% sure - I don’t really remember what information is needed to log in).

Could also be a scam, especially if it’s COD.

1 Like

No. You can’t text someone on their credit card number. Texting only works on phone numbers.:wink:

More likely a previous owner of your phone number made a purchase without updating their phone number in their account.

This

But check your credit card purchases just to see, and if nothing taken out just ignore it. You may get a couple of reminders then it will be sent back to sender.

It may also be that some one just entered the wrong phone number on the package

One common scam. The link is phishing. Freeze on line credit purchases for a few days to dupe any attempt from scammers to charge your card.

The post office one is also a popular scam, especially in English.

2 Likes

From the information given, there’s no reason for OP to think someone else has their card details.

From the information that the OP provided, there is no reason to believe there is a link in the text message.

1 Like

I’ve only had the number about a month, so I suppose it’s probably this.

Just annoying to double check all recent transactions, but I don’t see anything. And there was no link or anything in the text.

1 Like

If you want to fix it, you’d probably need to log in to the account and contact Shopee to say you own the phone number now. I assume they’d be able to e-mail the old account holder to tell them to update their details.

I don’t think there’s another way to do it, because AFAIK Shopee doesn’t provide phone or e-mail support anymore and it all has to be done in the app/website.

The previous account holder might just pick up the parcel, and if they don’t it’ll get returned to sender in a few days.

Edit: Oh actually, maybe you could just go into your nearest Shopee store and explain the problem. I’m not exactly confident that the store staff will be able to fix it, but it’s probably easier than trying to contact Shopee any other way.

1 Like

Thanks I was thinking of trying this

I’ve had many shopee items delivered to 7-11, Hi-life, Family market and that’s not the format of their text messages (to me at least).

But maybe others have received real Shopee texts that look like what you wrote.

This was delivered directly to a Shopee store, not a 3rd-party convenience store, so maybe that’s why the text message is different.