Thai food

That’s the article I was refering to, and it has the name of the street: Huaxin Street (華新&#34903 - a couple of hundred meters from Nanshijiao station apparently (end of the Yung He line).

Bri

I’ve been really stoked since finding the a-hui yunnan/thai restaurants next to the shihpai b[/b] and zhihshan b[/b] subway stops. they’re run by yunnanese immigrants from north thailand and offer good thai food at regular hole-in-the-wall prices. they’ll make it as spicy as you want it. the shihpai b[/b] one expanded their menu a bit recently but i can’t seem to get past the zhaopaifan minced pork rice and the green papaya salad. they sell decent canned cocunut milk for those of us who long ago decided they would have to cook it themselves to get reasonable thai food

an all-you-can-eat place we’ve been happy with is on sungchiang b[/b] road across from the jiajia bowling alley and up a bit towards chinzhou b[/b] st, right next to the former taj palace indian restaurant.

Today I tried the cheap Thai restaurant next to Kiss pizza and it gets a thumbs down from me. No taste, and not fresh vegetables in the fried rice noodle dish, but maybe I’m just spoiled by the good cheap Thai restaurant at Shipai MRT station and Tianmu.

What’s the address and/or how do you get there from Shipai Station?

as soon as you walk out of Shipai station turn left and go down the steps, you’ll see it right across the street (blue sign)

Go out of Shipai station, turn left and its right across the street with a purple sign - Chinese and Burmese writing on the sign. One problem for foreigners at this place is that there is no English menu so you need to speak Chinese or Thai. The thai place in Tianmu is Zhongshan N rd. sec 6 real close to G&G’s, same purple sign but they have an English menu too. There is also Sukkothai in the Shipai night market but this place is only average at best! Prices are dirt cheap and the food is great. Nothing like that Shida dump.

Yeah–Patara is good, but weak. I like the lunch buffet (Especially when the wife’s company was buying!) because I can really put the Thai food away, but when we went there for dinner I was left wanting. It really bugs me that because I’m an American, everyone thinks I’m a pu$$y & can’t handle hot & spicy foods. So you like it hot…Have you met “THE MAN”?!?

1 Like

I feel your pain. I’m an animal about this now whenever ordering anything likely to be juiced down.

1 Like

Hi guys - I eat Thai quite a bit and yesterday one of my Thai friends took me to this small thai restaurant which I thought was excellent. Now, I know my Thai food and I can tell when it is authentic. This place is. I’ve been to most of the restaurants you guys talked about many times. They are pretty good but somewhat pricy. This place is quite small but the food is excellent and the price is super reasonable. I usually eat at the all-you-can-eat places because I eat a lot and Christine can confirm that. My friend and I ate until we barely could walk and it only cost about NT$400 for the two of us. I don’t have the exact address but here is how you can get there:

the place is on Chang chun Rd. (that means long spring in Chinese, for those who undertand) and Jianguo N. Rd. What you can do is go north on Jianguo and take a left when you get to Chang Chun Rd.; the restaurant is on you left. It is called something like Thai Mei Can (purple sign), I think.

It is owned by a Thai woman whose husband is Taiwanese. The place doesn’t look great but the food more than makes up for it.

If you go there let me know what you think.

I think you’re talking about Tai Mei Wei. It’s on Changchun, to teh west of Jianguo, close to Yitong St. It is good, but unfortunately the menu is a bit short, I went through every dish in three or four meals. But she will make it fairly spicy if you ask her. The Hot and Sour Seafood soup is good.

By the way, the Taiziye that I mentioned in the opening post has been changed into a Chinese (?) restaurant. Sadness…

There is also a nice pleasant place behind the Sherwood hotel called the Tai Ya, very close to the O’Ginny’s bar. Food is really good and reasonably priced too.

Thai Heaven. The best Thai food in Taipei. They have quite a few branches in Taipei. One in Hoping b[/b] East Rd .Right beside 45 pub. Another in Chung Ho, Chung Shan b[/b] street. just across SOGO.

It’s hot!! Try it…

I found a great little Thai place near NanMen Market (CKS Hall MRT stop). I like it becuase i try not to spend too much mony on fod, and Thai usually seems pretty expensive here. None of that “it was only 1200NT for the two of us” stuff.

Don’t know what this one was called becuase there’s no English and I forgot the Chinese name, but after the name was the Chinese

Any recommendations for Thai restaurants in Taipei City?

My girlfriend and I went out for Thai food in Shida the other night and weren’t particularly impressed with the food.

Any reccomendations on where to find good Thai food?
Thks.

There is a nice new Thai restaurant in Taipei that opened about a month ago. Thai is my favorite Asian food and I had a very pleasant dinner at this slightly upscale place a few nights ago.

Fu Lin Men
Thai Cuisine
59 Tunhwa South Rd., Sec. 2
Tel: 2707-3777

At the entrance there is a cozy, comfortable little bar if you want a drink before dinner. We didn

went there recently and my friend ordered some set lunch. can’t comment on the rest of the menu, but thumbs down on set lunch. was about 400 each for food which cannot be considered Thai food (except for the complimentary appetizer). We got a soup, fried rice, fish, some meat and a pudding all of which were more or less made Chinese style or somewhat fusion-Thaiish.

That’s a shame. It’s a pity everything has to be Taiwanese-ified here. I am still looking for an authentic Sichuan restaurant. The Taiwanese “don’t eat Sichuan peppers” so I guess I’ll be looking for some time…

Well I

Anybody think this place is better than Thai and Thai Restaurant at Mandarin Crown Hotel?

went back to Fu Li Men for a business lunch (not my decision). this time around it was much better. not sure what the difference was.

the thai restaurant in the Mandarina is touted as one of the best. Some of their dishes are very good. I don’t recommend the pad thai (gee, i must make it to every restaurant’s bad day somehow. lucky me)

on that occasion, the pad thai was absolutely bland. ok pad thai isn’t the most flavourful to begin with (depending i guess on the peanut sauce stuff), but this was NO taste.

to make things worse, the manager didnt want to take it back. instead she said, that’s cuz you haven’t used the si jiang. the what? she meant their version of the s&p tray. basically just drowning it in the table sauces till we tasted something. we didn’t eat the pad thai.

my best experience still has been fei chang thai (VERY THAI) on nanjing. still, i only eat 5 dishes there. squid salad. awesome.

i have recently been to an excellent place called PPK(?), but it’s in DaZhi or something. it’s up at no.2 for me.