Thai food

This place is right across from where I work and within the walking distance. But like Epicurean said, it is a bit too expensive (which I didn’t pay for it, of course :wink: ) I remember we order a whole bunch of food.

• DimSum was okay, tasty even without the sauce
  • Curry Chicken wass a bit on the yucky side, nothing too speical about it and the pieces are way too big to go around for everybody. I like the Japanese style curry better.
  • Agree with Kenny on the Pad Thai which I had better in states.
  • Fried Moon Shrimp Cake, very yummy and delicious, full of shirmps and the sweet and sour sauce goes great with it.
  • Fried Spicy Veggie was great as well, but a bit on the greasy side.

I think the best Thai food in town is

try -very thai- on fuxing road it is near exit 3 of the the stop that is at the end of the brown line. the one after minchuan road east.

real nice food and comfortable as well. a good feed and drink for two costs around 1500 nt.

Somebody must do because they sell them in supermarkets. It’s certainly easier to get good ones here than in the UK, where I eventually resorted to a mail-order company. (You can get big bags of them in UK Chinese supermarkets, but they’re stale, all the volatile oils have upped and gone and they were never very good quality in the first place).

If you don’t know what to ask for as a Christmas present can I suggest the exquisite (and rather pricey) “Sichuan Cookery” by Fuschia Dunlop. It is a beautiful book packed with photos and very authentic, detailed and useable recipes. Dunlop spent ten years in Sichuan studying cookery, so it should be that good.

Among the many great recipes is what is basically the original one for mapodoufu. That dish has been much altered around the world, but the proper one uses beef, fermented broad beans (not yellow/soy beans) and of course a liberal sprinkling of that spice of the gods; Sichuan pepper (huajiao). I was complemented on my effort at making that by a couple of Sichuanese.

Does anyone know of any good Thai restaurants around Hsinyi Rd?

[quote=“Epicurean”]
Fu Lin Men
Thai Cuisine
59 Tunhwa (Dunhua) South Rd., Sec. 2
Tel: 2707-3777 [/quote]

Fu Lin Men is close to the intersection of XiYin Rd and DunHua, you can read the related posts about it!

That’s a long road … Try the new Thai Heaven outlet at Daan MRT station (intersection of FuXing / XinYi Road).

I’ve recently found what I consider to be the best place to get authentic-tasting (EG not Taiwan-ified) and low-priced Thai food in the greater Taipei area. The restaurant is a cute little hole-in-the-wall called SIAM THAI HOMEFOOD. Unfortunately it’s hidden away in Beitou, so you’ll have to search around or ask for directions if you’re not familiar with the area. The address is as follows:

Beitou District, Da Tong (Big Same) Street, No. 293
2893-1087

The most authentic thai places are where the Thai’s go to eat on their days off. There are many around Taiwan. There’s one on Zhong Shan road in Zhong Ho. But I don’t know the address.

BF and I just tried Very Thai last week and I’ll second Jack on this. Although they bill themselves as offering “neo” Thai cuisine, which could be very scary, there’s nothing that’s too out of the ordinary. Food was great, drinks are too, prices are reasonable and the place makes good use of natural light. We liked that.

We had Green Curry/Coconut Soup Chicken, Garlic and Chili Prawns, eggrolls (appetizer), mango juice and a White Russian.

There is a Thai place on the Corner of Kang Ning Rd Sec 3 and Minchuan Rd. Just through the tunnel. It’s resonably priced. Best part is the home made beer :rainbow: It’s called the Jolly.

Last friday of the month is a drinking contest. About 9:00.
1.Taste test
2.Chug
3.Most beer in one minute.

I’VE ONE TOO MANY TIMES SO THEY GAVE ME FREE BEER FOR LIFE.

Too cool

I just thought that this place needed a bit of free advertising. I live right nearby and they have not been busy in the evenings.

In addition, it is not on Changchun but on Szeping St (SiPing St) west of Jianguo, close to Yitong St. It’s run by a lovely, friendly couple and you can help their son do his homework while waiting for your food.

Cheers.

good Thai restuarant near Shi-Da University. Now, this place has good service, good curry and nice prices!

Sorry - will get directions for the newbies.

New cheap and cheerful Thai restaurant just opened on Zhongxiao E. Rd Sec 4, Lane 216 (?). It’s on the side of the huge screen (ie opposite ATT), a few steps from My Home Steak.
Green chicken curry, lemon fish, some sort of omelette thing, veg, seafood salad and the bill was $700. Great value and fast service.
Thai & Thai is great but then the bill was $2800!
Try it.
Also posted in fav rest. as I didn’t see this thread.

[quote=“Back Packer”]good Thai restuarant near Shi-Da University. Now, this place has good service, good curry and nice prices!

Sorry - will get directions for the newbies.[/quote]

Hurry, hurry! I’m really interested to know. Actually, the other day my BF and I wanted to have dinner at Curria, the Indian restaurant near Shi-da, but they were closed, so we walked around looking for an alternative. I saw two establishments that had the character for “Thai” in their names, but when we looked at the photos in their menu, everything looked like Taiwan-ified Thai food.

Yuck. Don’t want that.

This message was written in 2002… is it still true that Thai Thai is a good and authentic Thai restaurant? Is there any authentic Thai restaurant in central Taipei?

OK, I’ve been searching for Pad Thai ever since I got to Taiwan, and yet still haven’t found any. I don’t get it, I always thought Pad Thai was one of the most famous Thai dishes. There wasn’t a single Thai restaurant that I’ve been to in the states that didn’t have it. Hope somebody can help me out. And if ya don’t know what it is, man u don’t know what ur missing.

That’s weird. I often ask for Pad Thai in Thai restaurants (I’m vegetarian and it’s easily made veggie), and always get it. Maybe you’re talking to the Chinese, non-Thai staff, so they just don’t know what you’re asking for. I’m sure they’ve got it on the menu.

Brian

Restaurant: Thai Guo Xiao Guan 泰國小館

Address: 219 TingZhou Rd, Sec 3, Taipei 臺北市汀州路三段219號
Telephone: (02) 23670739
Hours: 11am to 10 pm daily Average meal: NT$300 per person
Details" Credit cards accepted. Menu in Chinese and Thai

You should find some pad thai at this place. According to a recent review in the TT, the pad thai there is “awesome.”

Sorry, but I don’t know how to display the image from the review. It is a picture of the pad thai served at this restaurant.

Happy eating, and let us know how the food is.

Also, I think you should be able to find pad thai at many of the Thai places in Taipei. Now, I’m not saying it is going to have anything on the 35 Baht pad thai you get on the streets of Bangkok, but you should be able to find something in Taipei to feed your pad thai jones.

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003203273

I live in Xindian, and I’d like to know if the fabled South East Asian street for restaurants exists here, or if it’s just an urban legend

Just got back from Thailand.

I brought some Chantaboon Rice Stick noodles (yeah!), green and red curry paste, powdered lime juice and Thai shrimp paste. All stuff I looked for in Taipei but couldn’t find. Perhaps there are some grocery stores catering to Thai “waiji laogong”, but I haven’t found any yet.

The other stuff I need, like fish sauce, tiny eggplants, mouse-shit peppers, galangal, etc. can be obtained that the Breeze Center. When I get my own place (soon, let it be soon!) I’m going to cook me up some real Thai food. Forget paying through the nose for mediocre Taiwanified Thai food (Tai-food?), I’m going to make it like it’s meant to be made, and for little money!

Hell, I even brought back some of those Thai-style metal bowls!