Thai food

Nice place! I enjoyed a quick bite there tonight. Good food but I suspect few will think of it as good value, especially in this part of town. A modest meal of Pad thai washed back with an ice milk tea set me back NT$429.

Guy

2 Likes

I donā€™t think its west side location works against it. Itā€™s within Taipei main station where you have travelers from all over the country go through the station.

This looks pretty real

Thai Town is not Thai food. Itā€™s a perverted interpretation of it.

Weird dude going to Thai Town for lunch and dinner in the same day. I didnā€™t know a side effect of Omicron was masochism.

6 Likes

Fair enough. Iā€™ve never been there tbh - will take your word for it.

Itā€™s terrible. Itā€™s Thai food ā€œcustomized for Taiwanese tastebudsā€ if that gives you a hint.

1 Like

Yeah anyone eating Thai Town twice a day, needs to be on some kind of register anyway. Possible threat to society and themselves

3 Likes

I think we should make them President. :rofl:

Is there anything not customized for the Taiwanese taste buds in Taiwan? You adapt or go out of business.

Same as everywhere tbh. As locals become more accustomed and accepting of a food, restauranteurs are able to be more creative and authentic.

Thai Town is Thai food in Taiwan from 15 years ago.

1 Like

The fact they survived this long is already impressive.

For the record, I find them less terrible than, say, the Tasty group, which I never liked or understood. :upside_down_face:

Guy

It amuses me that their steak restaurant is called č„æå ¤ē‰›ęŽ’, which perhaps gives fair warningā€¦ Who wants to eat a xi-ti steak? :poop:

1 Like

Thereā€™s one local authentic Thai place in Kaohsiung near the HSR station. Itā€™s called ā€˜Lindaā€™s. Itā€™s dirty as hell, but run by real Thai people and itā€™s been there for years. The food is the best Thai food around here by far, but Iā€™m always conflicted eating there because it is so damn dirty. Anyway, the point is authentic places wonā€™t necessarily go out of business. In fact, going against that dumb convention might prove successful now that people are increasingly more interested in experiencing the real thing instead of the bastardized Taiwanese versions of international cuisines.

1 Like

Adapted.

1 Like

The one time I ate at Tasty, I sent my steak back because I didnā€™t think it was cooked enough for my liking. They gave me a mug because they wanted to make sure I wasnā€™t dissatisfied with my experience. Itā€™s the only mug I use these days. Itā€™s a nice mug. Thatā€™s all I really remember from the experience.

2 Likes

Agreed, Chinese style food called Thai and not any good at that!

I just went here today based on this post and Iā€™m gonna have to disagree.

The kaopao is nice enough (though shouldnā€™t have onions and they really skimp on the basil) but the curries are nothing like authentic.

Itā€™s much cleaner then a real Thailand restaurant though :rofl:

1 Like

Do you mean krapao/krapow/gaprao? You get onions in it sometimes, even in Thailand. It depends on the place, but onions arenā€™t uncommon. Should have a lot of basil though. I guess they use sweet/regular basil here rather than holy basil.

You know Thai food better than I do, but to me the local Taiwanese basil is interchangeable with the Thai stuff. Sweet (western? Italian?) basil does taste quite different, but is harder to find here - I doubt any Thai restaurant in Taiwan is going to bother with the extra effort of seeking out the ā€œwrongā€ basil, when one thatā€™s so close to right is readily available.

A question: in Thailand, how often is basil served with all the stems included? Thatā€™s a minor annoyance I have with some dishes here (e.g. xiansuji, sanbeiji), where the basil is really tasty but itā€™s all on the stem so I donā€™t eat it.

(Huh. This is the coronavirus thread. Go figure.)

1 Like

Fair enough. Iā€™ve only visited Thailand once and it was over a decade ago, so Iā€™ll take your word when it comes to the authenticity. Still far superior than Throw-up Townā€¦ sorry, I mean Thai Town. And Iā€™m glad people are actually following my recommendations here, makes me feel special. :stuck_out_tongue: