Thai food

Nothing really good to report unfortunately. The flavor was quite nice, and it came with some chopped pickled cabbage and shallots. That being said, the price was big but the size was stupid small. The fried egg noodles were meh, and they aren’t hard.

1 Like

Anyone know if the Thai place behind the Red House is open again? I tried going there about a month ago, but there was renovation/construction happening to the building. Looked like it would be out of commission for a while.

Saw this place in a magazine and tried it

Kanokwan Thai Noodle
No. 24號, Lane 21, Section 2, Nanjing East Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, 104
0960 764 116

Map

Old school noodle shop with the guy’s Thai wife cooking. Probably the most authentic meal I had here, papaya salad was good, pad si iu with delicious beef, Tom yam wasn’t bad. I’ll go back. They have boat noodles, want to give them a try.

IMG20191105152938 IMG20191105152921 IMG20191105145706

5 Likes

In contrast to this interesting old-school joint, Davina Tham draws our attention to this new-school Thai place on Civic Boulevard near Breeze Center operated by a young chef with an interesting pedigree. I’d love to check this place out:

Guy

2 Likes

Went to the local Thai restaurant near Da Pin Ling on Sunday evening. The place has been open for 20 years, same female chef. A bit disappointed. Ordered beef thai curry, (was actually pork, too chewy,) and a couple of other dishes, but was lacking in the wow factor that I normally experience. Hopefully, the food will taste better next time.

It’s a shame to read they dialed back the spice and herb factor, but I’m sure it will still beat another monochrome 小吃 meal…

Can’t see any pad prik khing, pad ka prao, nam tok or larb on the menu :cry:. She must have a hard time sourcing herbs, poor lady…

There is mu pad kaprao and nam tok mu, actually. But it is a simple menu. They have a bunch of basic Taiwanese dishes too.

1 Like

Did the pad see ew use authentic flat rice noodles, or did they substitute with chewy Taiwanese 粄條?

The latter.

Does commuter distance count? https://www.changthai-mookata.com/ Elephant Thai restaurant In Zhongli. This place is insanely cool. I went there a couple of weeks ago. $550 Thai BBQ buffet on the second floor. Soda fountain drinks, some Thai milk tea, and another which I couldn’t identify, canned Thai beverages, $100 all you can drink Thai beers, dessert fridge, ice cream bars, fruit popsicles. Fried chicken, instant noodles, Thai sausages, papaya salad, red curry, sticky rice. A self serve shaved ice station(extra charge), . They had a Thai BBQ dipping sauce, and lime chili dipping sauce which was wonderfully spicy! Just a massive amount of food. Parking is close, and it’s only a minute walk from the Zhongli train station. When I went on the Saturday for lunch, we got there at 12 and the restaurant was only about half full. The clientele was mostly Thai. There were a few farangs downstairs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6hKQQyNE1Y

2 Likes

This place was interesting, long-time Thai resident of Taiwan runs it. It’s a bit localized but has the advantage of not being yet another Yunnan place. Only fried rice and noodles, tom yam noodles, that’s about it. I thought the pad thai and tom yam were really good, not the som tam though. Cheap. Worth checking out if you’re over there. Seems popular. Have to try the green curry noodles next time.

https://goo.gl/maps/G7jBcoeF6fqDN7zQ6

3 Likes

Well, well, this looks interesting

If this is the one I think I went to, don’t go in summer. The AC is terrible and all those BBQ grills get the place dreadfully hot. The tables are a bit nasty, too. Nice wood but cleaned poorly so everything feels greasy.

Wow, this was the real deal. If I had been in an equivalent place in Bangkok, I would not have been at all surprised. Not really cheap, but not super crazy. Two of us were totally full and satisfied for 1k. Will certainly be returning. On 2nd floor of Taipei Station.

8 Likes

Cool. I’ll check it out next week. When I’m freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

2 Likes

Missed the earlier post, nice find! I guess I know my weekend plans.

Wouldn’t the equivalent place just be Somtum Der BKK? 1k NT total for 2 pax seems super reasonable.

Have you been? I was thinking, a chainish mally Isaan restaurant. Their NY branch got a Michelin star though.

I’ve only been to the one in Manhattan, it feels like ages ago now. It was no-frills but not quite mall-basic.

Has anyone tried Baan? It’s another expansion from Bangkok, partnered with Richie Lin (Mume). A few Thai-TW friends felt it had been watered down since it first opened to suit TW tastes, but I’m not sure what they meant (maybe sweet-spicy balance?)

Richie Lin also recently opened Coast in the Regent Taipei with the chef of Issaya Siamese Club, dunno if it’s focused solely on Thai.

2 Likes

No, looks good!

I hear you, not trying to run it down. You will find this kind of restaurant in Bangkok. That’s not to say it’s bad, but there is a certain ideal for Isaan food that does not include a mall :slight_smile: