Thank you, Forumosa, and farewell!

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

See you on Taiwanease :slight_smile:

[EDIT] Note to self: don’t stumble home after a late night at the pubs and post!

I’m still a bit mystified about the whole transition thing, but life moves on.

I partially disagree with Sandman that it’s Anthony and the mods who are Forumosa. I think that it’s the community as a whole that made the whole thing valuable.

But a hearty thanks Ant for F.com for helping make this community possible. Truly an oasis in the wilderness. Well done, old chap! Well done! We should erect a cyberstatue in your honor!

I look forward to seeing what Taiwanease is all about!

Oriented.org - Viewer Comments and Feedback :smiley:

when is the farewell party?

Yeah…change happens…

Bubba 2 Guns asks:

well…

Elequa philosophizes:

Yep…yep it does…thats why I like old chairs, and old shoes…but even they wear out…

OirishStu chimes in:

You will always be the very first!

The Kiwi on the Odyssey adds:

[quote]it ain’t no good-bye. Rather than you going away, it’s more like you’ve had an operation and we now have to call you Jane. That’s all. Once your new site is up and running, I’ll jump sheep,…
“Taiwanease” you hairy Taiwan-Beer-swilling drunkard.
But you’re right, Taiwanease will be the new Forumosa. And Forumosa will be the new TaiwanHo.[/quote]
Heart-warming thoughts he has…but that “Ho” wish might turn into an island internet curse.

Uro has the priorities in order:

Belly-up Lads.

New Leader?

[quote][b]KNEEL BEFORE YOUR NEW FORUMASTER, HEATHENS!

FOR I, ZENDER (ALL CAPS), AM YOUR NEW GOD! :fume: [/quote]
Carved in stone bro…carved in stone

Big John opines:

[quote]I think that it’s the community as a whole that made the whole thing valuable. Otherwise it would just have been a bunch of pretentious wankers spouting off to each other.

What made the whole thing REAL were the users, the environment.[/quote]
In large part I agree…however the “shaping” of the 'environment" is what truly defines it.

So this, perhaps, for Forumosa, might be…

…and whats behind the door…?

Best wishes on your new venture. I look forward to being the first poster suspended from playing in your new sandbox!

(p.s. - to those who have promised me drinks when we meet…That still applies!)

Best of luck with Taiwanease.com, Anth! I have only seen a hint of what you’ve been working on, and I am already certain it will be awesome. Taiwan and Forumosa’s community (and me) will all benefit from it - I have no doubt

You leave us with a massive vacuum to fill, and I hope Forumosa can quickly adjust to your absence at the helm. You will be missed. I also believe you leave us in good shape, and I am grateful for this.

Keep well, buddy, and see you at the [strike]next Forumosa[/strike] first Taiwanease Happy Hour!
Err, orsomethinglikethat - I may not be back in Taipei that soon! But you get my drift …

Excelsior!

Anthony, its been great having you at the helm here. I look forward to seeing what happens with Taiwanease. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. They mean more to me than you can imagine, and I’m a little emotional today about Forumosa. It was a fantastic part of my life, but it’s time for me to move on to a new challenge. I’ll still be around, just not as admin dude, or a moderator. Love you all! :notworthy:

Haha! maoman’s not going to have a black name thingie anymore! Now we can troll him and spam his PM inbox! :smiling_imp:

cAn we make him walk the plank? Or how bout a nice keel haulin? :slight_smile:

Like you didn’t do that before!

Counting down! Will it change at midnight?

I heard through a friend that you were leaving. I felt I should write in to say something. A lot of time has passed-- a lot. Good, bad or otherwise, this place has had an impact on my life in Taiwan and you certainly played a major part in shaping this site into what it is today. Heck, you more or less chose my current handle for me. In person, on those occasions when we’ve met, I found you to be very personable, warm and fun-loving. I’m sure whatever you do post F.com will turn into a success. I’m not sure if we’ll ever have a chance to meet again, so I want to sincerely wish you and your family all the best in the future.

Good Luck

Steven, Judy and Fiona

[quote=“Toasty”]I heard through a friend that you were leaving. I felt I should write in to say something. A lot of time has passed-- a lot. Good, bad or otherwise, this place has had an impact on my life in Taiwan and you certainly played a major part in shaping this site into what it is today. Heck, you more or less chose my current handle for me. In person, on those occasions when we’ve met, I found you to be very personable, warm and fun-loving. I’m sure whatever you do post F.com will turn into a success. I’m not sure if we’ll ever have a chance to meet again, so I want to sincerely wish you and your family all the best in the future.

Good Luck

Steven, Judy and Fiona[/quote]
Thanks, man! :slight_smile: I sincerely hope we DO get the chance to meet again, and our families, too!

[quote=“maoman”][quote=“Toasty”]I heard through a friend that you were leaving. I felt I should write in to say something. A lot of time has passed-- a lot. Good, bad or otherwise, this place has had an impact on my life in Taiwan and you certainly played a major part in shaping this site into what it is today. Heck, you more or less chose my current handle for me. In person, on those occasions when we’ve met, I found you to be very personable, warm and fun-loving. I’m sure whatever you do post F.com will turn into a success. I’m not sure if we’ll ever have a chance to meet again, so I want to sincerely wish you and your family all the best in the future.

Good Luck

Steven, Judy and Fiona[/quote]
Thanks, man! :slight_smile: I sincerely hope we DO get the chance to meet again, and our families, too![/quote]

Thanks right back at you. If your new venture has a happy hour-like meet, I’ll be sure to show up! :thumbsup:

I beg to differ.

Spreading the forces over 2 forums may mean that the parts together become less than the sum of everybody’s work was before. If anything, you guys should have merged the Ho!, Forumosa and whatever else there was of forums, leading to one place only.

Divided we fall, united we stand.

I may have missed the answer in the other six pages, but how did the taiwanease thing come about? That site was quite active some years ago (in more-or-less the form that Maoman describes it) but was apparently abandoned a couple of years ago. Did you (maoman) buy the domain name and remaining scraps of stuff posted there? Anyway, it’ll be nice to see someone clear away the weeds and get it working again. As I recall, it had a lot of potential, and I was surprised to see its administrators lose interest in maintaining it.

It was a print mag. Which is pretty expensive. Too expensive, I suppose.

[quote=“Mr He”]I beg to differ.

Spreading the forces over 2 forums may mean that the parts together become less than the sum of everybody’s work was before. If anything, you guys should have merged the Ho!, Forumosa and whatever else there was of forums, leading to one place only.

Divided we fall, united we stand.[/quote]

QFT. An internet community requires critical mass to be successful. There aren’t as many expats as there used to be. I hope you can sort out your differences and work together for the benefit of all. Think of all the poor noobs-to-be that will have to check two forums. More likely a new forum will end up like the Ho with a handful of posts per month.