Thank you, Forumosa, and farewell!

Well at least the “ease” is tommy free. As I have decided not to inhabit those shores for now , for those who are tommy intolerant :slight_smile:

:thumbsup:

Ha. Perhaps reports of the flob’s death are greatly exaggerated. I did a VERY rough check a coupla months ago based on the most recent posts - it was about 2 to 1 in the flob’s favor.[/quote]
Well, I do post here much more than I post there. :blush: I think they’re waiting for their other stuff to kick in and afaik, it hasn’t yet. :popcorn:[/quote]
It IS starting to come together, though. :thumbsup: The Taiwanease directory is becoming more and more robust by the day, and when the taiwanease app comes out (soon!) people will be able to find and add venues with a couple touches to their smartphone screens. We’ve got some great articles, and we’ve lined up more writers. More content is on the way! We’re still looking for more “how-to” guides for our “Getting it Done” section, so if any of you want to contribute, please feel free to contact me. Our events functionality is still a little wonky, but it’s not a priority. Our app is a priority, though. So is Taiwanted, which has been a work in “progress” for years now :doh: , but is now actually and actively being developed. I’ve waited this long, I can wait a few more weeks, I guess. I have to trust in the expertise of my tech team when it comes to stuff like this. Some things are out of my hands. I’m also excited by our soon-to-be launched Chinese language forums which are proving to be much more technically difficult to implement than we had anticipated, but we’re almost there, or so says ernest. :pray:

Comparisons of post counts between the sites are spurious at best right now. We are brand new - still in our infancy. Our entire site has about half the post count of just sandman. :laughing: The forums at Taiwanease.com just don’t yet have the heft that Forumosa does, but (with the notable exception of our Parent Pages content) we’ve only been going for a few months. Despite our newness, I’m not just satisfied with our progress, I’m really happy with it. :slight_smile:

With regards to the taiwanease vs. forumosa thing, I guess a lot of the speculation is inevitable - both sites have forums, and the people that use the forums here are going to want to compare our forums before they look at anything else on taiwanease. Add in the fact that I’ve been a regular presence on the flob since 1999, and people are going to talk. I’m fine with that, but I really don’t see this as a zero-sum game. Yeah, both sites have some overlap. But you know, when I was admin here, we had friendly relations with TaiwanHo.com for years, and they were a much more established website. As I said in the first post in this thread, it had been a great pleasure to work with Goose Egg. We worked together for over ten years, and those were fantastic years. Nothing has to last forever, though, and I just felt it was time for me to move on. I’m sure many of you have had moments in your careers where you felt the same stirrings.

I’m now focused on making sure that our site measures up to the high expectations so many of you have for it. I am very grateful for the encouragement I’ve gotten from so many people. The support that I’ve gotten from friends, moderators, businesses, bloggers, writers, etc. has been gratifying and even a little overwhelming! The expat community in Taiwan is really a fantastic one, and one of the primary reasons why I’ll probably never leave!

It’s also been a REAL education working with my tech team, ernest, Fibericon, and Ginamin. They’re all half my age, but I’ve already learned so much. I hadn’t realized what a dinosaur I’d become! :stuck_out_tongue: I really appreciate their patience in explaining stuff to me, and we’ve had a lot of fun so far in setting the site up. We’re nowhere near finished though, so keep an eye on us! :sunglasses:

Anyway, I just wanted to address the whole “competing websites” thing before that meme took on a life of its own. If you have feedback about Taiwanease, please let me know, either by PM here, or by email (admin (at) taiwanease.com) or in the Taiwanease feedback forum itself. I understand how things can sometimes overlap, but it’s probably best to keep feedback about forumosa, taiwanho, and taiwanease in their own respective feedback forums. And this post is already long enough. I’ll finish here.

Now, time for a beer. :beer: :discodance:

since when do we allow spammers that advertise other forums in here?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks for the very considered response Maoman. I hope all the extra “functionality” you are trying to add comes to fruition. Of course I realize the numbers don’t tell the whole story but at the same time you will need to attract some posters from “here” over to “there” if your site is to achieve momentum. But I take your point that if you create a better overall resource for foreigners it should naturally lead to greater forum activity. Good luck with that.

:thumbsup:

Too late. :laughing: (You can’t stop people who want to see something sinister or negative in the situation at hand. :wink:)
OTOH, most people will appreciate the benefits that friendly competition and diversity bring to the scene (this is not only true in business, which these BBSs partly are, but also in other realms of life).

:laughing: :laughing:

Post count doesn’t reflect the quality of a Forum, neither does the number of members.
Taiwanease is more than a Forum so I don’t think it competes except for the Forum part.

Taiwanease still needs a lot of fixes, especially for the site navigation and layout. There’s lots of superfluous things.
Some of those things are just easy tweaks and it annoys me that they aren’t fixed until now. Cha bu duo?

Taiwanease as you say, is still in infancy but users shouldn’t be made frustrated alpha testers.
Please don’t become another EVA Air oe China Airlines alike website with all their bugs in navigation and layout.

For the forums itself moderation is certainly the key. The phpbb software is pretty much auto-pilot for the rest.
Anyways in the end I believe in the saying that (whatever) competition exists it will increase quality of the competing products.
I wish maoman and Taiwanease to be have/a success as much as I do for Forumosa.

[quote=“engerim”]Post count doesn’t reflect the quality of a Forum, neither does the number of members.
[/quote]

Agreed but my point is you need a certain number of new posts and new threads every day to have momentum as a forum. Taiwanease does not have that yet. But as MM says its a work-in-progress and may yet grow wings.