That forgien grocery store on Zhongshan sec 6

you know there’s a weird semi-wholesale kind of store on mintsu e rd, south side, just east of chung shan n rd. kind of dusty but worth checking out.

They may look like pinto beans, but have you ever tried cooking them? Five hours later and they’re still not done. They have an almost chalky texture and taste nothing like pinto beans. Believe me, I’ve looked everywhere and tried just about everything.[/quote]
Well I shop at the local dry goods store and buy my pinto beans…I soak them overnight (at least one night! the longer the better) in salt water (yes, salt water is bad for my blood pressure but I am am southern boy) then I put them in the rice cooker/slow cooker (whatever) and slow cook them all day (at least eight hours) with some bacon for flavor or ham…since I am cooking a lot and only I am eating them I leave them cooking until I finish them all…so I eat some after eight hours and some much later…after about 16 hours at a slow cook they are great…just finished a bowl of pintos and onions…great…wish I had the inclination to fix some hoe cakes but too lazy and got to go to bed soon…

How come the skins don’t get really tough? I stopped using salt water to soak beans for this reason and it really worked.

I am not sure…I just use the salt for flavor, I haven’t noticed a change in the skin texture with or without the salt.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Wellman’s Market
472 Zhongshan North Road, Section 6[/quote]

Is Wellman’s still open?
I haven’t been up that way in ages.
Do they stock anything I can’t get anywhere else?

Yes. I’d say they do stock various things you might not find elsewhere.

I get Irish Spring and Dial soap.
They have Spam, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Twizzlers, and Butterfingers.
Pot pies, Kicks and Tricks, but no Cap’n Crunch. Oscar Meyer hotdog weiners and Cool Whip. A&W Root Beer.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]I get Irish Spring and Dial soap.
They have Spam, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Twizzlers, and Butterfingers.
Pot pies, Kicks and Tricks, but no Cap’n Crunch. Oscar Meyer hotdog weiners and Cool Whip. A&W Root Beer.[/quote]

YOu can get spam in wellcome. Never heard of any of the other stuff. These are all familiar brands from the Emerald Isle then? They sound like Forumosa usernames actually.

Never heard of all those wonderful things? :noway:
You poor, sheltered soul.
They are words of comfort to any North American.
I’ll make trip up there just for the Reese’s! :lick:

Never heard of all those wonderful things? :noway:
You poor, sheltered soul.
They are words of comfort to any North American.
:lick:[/quote]

What even butterfingers :slight_smile: in english that means someone who keeps dropping stuff

(ah not ireland then)

It’s a chocolate bar.

Is Wellman’s Market on 472 Zhongshan North Road, Section 6 still open? And do they still have Irish spring bar soap?

Yes, I was in there about a week ago.

I didn’t notice. But it doesn’t strike me as the sort of place that makes big changes in the things it stocks.