That formosan who joined the taiwanese army

IIRC there was a guy on this site who rec’d taiwanese citizenship, did his time in the army and wrote a book on his time in the service. where can a copy of the book be found?

thanks.

I know the answer to this one, but it wouldn’t be fair to spoil it for others so early in the game, so I’ll sit this one out.[/smug]

ah, thanks for the smug help. if only people were as kind to one another as they are to animals…

Excuse my sense of humour.

I’m just not sure about outing him, as I’ve not seen him talk about it on here.

Anyways, one of his friends or he will respond in the morning, I’m sure.

The book:

Counting Mantou: An American in the Taiwanese Army, by T C Lin, April 2002
Locus Publishing, 11F, 24 Nanjing E. Road, section 4, Taipei, Taiwan
ISBN: 9867975863

Now go be nice to an animal. :wink:

He’s Poagao and he has outed himself on this many times.

Shouldn’t the title of this thread be “that forumosan who joined the Taiwanese army…”?

I mean otherwise it’s pretty much everyone who ever joined the Taiwanese Army.

Yeah…it was Poagao.
He has written about his experiences a few times on Forumosa.com. Not really “outing” him by mentioning his name.

Poagao even has his army training/service photos in his Flickr account, so he’s not exactly private. get it? private. ohh, i hate me puns. :unamused:

Okey doke.

I just remember Ironlady getting all ‘rusty’ with someone for calling her by her real name, which is in the email address in her signature and all over the website linked there too. Got in a right hoo-ha, she did. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Even though we know Irishstu’s name is Iris in real life and Sandman is Mandy, I feel it’s not my job to blow their cover.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Okey doke.

I just remember Ironlady getting all ‘rusty’ with someone for calling her by her real name, which is in the email address in her signature and all over the website linked there too. Got in a right hoo-ha, she did. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Even though we know Irishstu’s name is Iris in real life and Sandman is Mandy, I feel it’s not my job to blow their cover.[/quote]

Right! That’s it! I’m outing Stray Dog!

Stray Dog’s real name is Stevie Ray (shortened to St-Ray) Dog (the “Dog” surname he got from his dad, “Dog the Bounty Hunter”). Hardly much of a disguise, I have to say.

Right then.

Don’t mess with Auntie Iris.

The chinese language version is accessible for a foreigner with a good grasp of chinese, I read it and enjoyed it. I also decided that I was not to apply for citizenship here - after all 2 years spent guarding a hut in the mountains of Miaoli would drive me insane.

Ah yes, but credit where credit’s due, that little hut never once fell into enemy hands!

HG

[quote=“Mr He”]The chinese language version is accessible for a foreigner with a good grasp of chinese, I read it and enjoyed it. I also decided that I was not to apply for citizenship here - after all 2 years spent guarding a hut in the mountains of Miaoli would drive me insane.[/quote]Ahh…but now you would have internet access in that hut… :sunglasses:

So how is it being an American in the Taiwan army? the culture shock must be hell… even if boot camp is a joke.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Ah yes, but credit where credit’s due, that little hut never once fell into enemy hands!

HG[/quote]

Well, mostly true. Except for that brief occupation by Honduras, but I don’t like to talk about that.

Actually, I’ve never tried to hide who I am on here, but in case anyone’s unclear, I’m the author of Counting Mantou as well as the “News from the Renegade Province” section of Taiwanease, and I’m also the washtub bass player in the Muddy Basin Ramblers, and the guy who did the Lady X thing a while back.

However, someone on here got their panties in a twist a while back and chastised me for mentioning it too much, so I haven’t really mentioned it that much. I hear a lot of people saying things like “it’s a joke” and so on, but I figure that, if you’ve done it and say that, I respect your opinion; if you haven’t, I really don’t care about your opinion. Parts of it were joke-worthy, to be sure, but it wasn’t exactly a walk in the park. I was in over a decade ago, though, so I’m sure things have changed in many respects since then.

Now I got your attention Poagao, then tell me:

How did you keep your spirits up in Miaoli?

I for one fail to see the funny in being willing to spend 2 years in the army for a ROC passport. I see it like a commitment, and have always wondered what made you do it, something you don’t really answer very clearly in the otherwise very readable book.

It wasn’t all bad, Mr. He. Parts of it were quite interesting. The mountains of Miaoli aren’t the worst of places to spend time, and as (at that time) just about every male had to do military service, it was a great way to get more into the Taiwanese mindset.

Plus I had an M16 of my wery own.

[quote=“Poagao”]It wasn’t all bad, Mr. He. Parts of it were quite interesting. The mountains of Miaoli aren’t the worst of places to spend time, and as (at that time) just about every male had to do military service, it was a great way to get more into the Taiwanese mindset.

Plus I had an M16 of my wery own.[/quote]

How does
“This is my rifle
This is my gun
This is for killing
This is for fun”

translate?

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Poagao”]It wasn’t all bad, Mr. He. Parts of it were quite interesting. The mountains of Miaoli aren’t the worst of places to spend time, and as (at that time) just about every male had to do military service, it was a great way to get more into the Taiwanese mindset.

Plus I had an M16 of my wery own.[/quote]

How does
“This is my rifle
This is my gun
This is for killing
This is for fun”

translate?[/quote]

Ha, I don’t think it does.

How was the dreaded “hazing” we hear so much about? You must have quite the target.