The 100 Best Bars in Taipei

Pig & Whistle in Tianmu is so bad now, the only resemblance to a ‘British’ style bar is the defunct phone box outside!

Really is a shame how this place has been allowed to run down so much, it used to be jumping every night, sadly it has been ‘Localised’
terrible food, shabby decor, poor hygiene standards!!!

Erm went to Bliss a couple of weeks ago. Think it had better come off the list.

Pokey, narrow, unfriendly, with a dangerous darts next to the front door scenario, plus the staff didn’t even seem to know what beers they had!

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Erm went to Bliss a couple of weeks ago. Think it had better come off the list.

Pokey, narrow, unfriendly, with a dangerous darts next to the front door scenario, plus the staff didn’t even seem to know what beers they had![/quote]

Hey Mister Tell Tale Heart, why speak in a third person’s voice (unless UR ELM…)

It’s all a state of mind… You say ERM found it pokey…I had to look it up:

NOUN:
(Slang pl. po·keys , also po·kies)
A jail or prison.

ETYMOLOGY:
Origin unknown

ADJECTIVE:
(Informal pok·i·er , pok·i·est)

1. Dawdling; slow: waited for the poky sales clerk to ring up the sale.
  2. Frumpish; shabby: found poky old clothes at the thrift store.
  3. Small and cramped: a poky but inexpensive apartment.

Hmmm… I don’t think so but come see for yourself…

What else? ‘Narrow’…Maybe… in the eye of the beholder… check upstairs too when a band rocks… and complain again when you had to rub your hand holding your drink against a girl’s chest coz the bar area is just too narrow…

“Unfriendly”… Dude, really? Who, When, Why, What for? The Crew are under my instruction and friendliness is in the Top-3…

About the Darts… the only person that I have ever seen throwing a dart out the door was Sonia… she can only do that when she is sober… so the risk is minimal (you have to be a thrill seeker too when you go out…) …
Should you ever end up with a dart in your eye; what you say is: " one more time and I will never look at you again…"

(now voted back in the top-10)

Perhaps I am speaking out of turn, but the above response wasn’t the most tactful way of countering a customer’s opinion. Perhaps a little more circumspection, less condescension and some genuine wit might have been in order there IMO.

Cheers,

Bob

[quote=“TpeBob”]Perhaps i am speaking out of turn, but the above response wasn’t the most tactful way of countering a customer’s opinion. Perhaps a little more circumspection, less condescension and some genuine wit might have been in order there IMO.

Cheers,

Bob[/quote]

Thank you TpeBob, I am always concerned about offending anyone… thought I was quite open & hounest about it (with a good smile on my face)… I will have to look up two or three of the words you used here… I shall return and thank you again…

(Have you read Edgar A. Poe’s Tell Tale Heart?)

Hey TpeBob,

Looked up the words and understand them now (your English side is def stronger than your Dutch side…)

Lemmie quote The Moody Blues:

I Think…
I Think I am…
and therefore, I am…
I think…

Edgar Allen… whaddayasay?

Edgar Allen is on a vacation!

dont go to the Tavern of Carnegies or Taipei sports bar they all have undercover cops in them. theyll deport you for smoking tokes man.

Cannot speak for the other places but worst case scenario at the Tavern you would likely meet me if you wish to be in the smoking area. Anyway, word on the street is tht within 6 months or so there is no more smoking possible in any bar, restaurant.

That would be wonderful. :slight_smile: :bravo:

I think you may have missed the point this cauldron prick was trying to make.

Cheers,

Bob

I think you may have missed the point this cauldron prick was trying to make.

Cheers,

Bob[/quote]
Really? I babblefished the post to Swiss German. Just did the same with your “cauldron prick” and got a similar vague idea that that would be.

Ok I’m gonna take issue with the word CHEAP.

The Green bar is insanely expensive. Insane. Stella is 240 some. Carnegies can do it for 90 at times. Guinness is 280? That is just madness.

I found the green bar to have an excellent free juke box and nothing else. Poor seating, food comes covered in silver foil (Whats THAT all about) and staff speak broken English.

The green bar should go and take a look at JB’s and weep.

Dude, even worse… the police have a few Westerners working for them that will pose to you as a friend and offer to smoke with you and then turn you in… just do yourself and bar owners a favor and NEVER toke inside any bar… do it in private or risk yourself in the street… Carnegie’s and Tavern are bars that attract ahelluva lot of people… of course you can expect Big Brother to keep an eye on things…

(btw, did you vote C&T out of the top-10? … that won’t last long… )

Sorry for having been naive, as a “non smoker”, I did not know what this was all about.

Don’t be sorry… just be happy …

(not all drugs are good… some are great… <quoted a famous Jazz musician a good 50 years ago> …)

I hate Jazz Musicians!

… but yet you book them …

Maybe he likes jazz.

Maybe he likes jazz.[/quote]

…now there we may have an interesting point…

maybe it’s a bit like hating oranges but loving orange juice…