The 7-Eleven Thread

I just wait for the beer promotion every Summer!

Thinking of becoming Laoban of a 7-Eleven. Should have done it when the franchise deposit was still 2 million - Seems they doubled it to 4 Million NTD but you still can make a long-life living of it when well located.

There are plenty of other 7-11s to open your franchise half a block away from.

There are plenty of other 7-11s to open your franchise half a block away from.[/quote]

That Sir, is only a privilege for the locals :slight_smile:

There are plenty of other 7-11s to open your franchise half a block away from.[/quote]

That Sir, is only a privilege for the locals :slight_smile:[/quote]

I bet more people would go to yours. Theyd be all like “lets go to THAT 711…some crazy foreigner owns it” you could probably charge more to and claim that is an ‘exotic’ 711.

Plus you could implement crazy foreign ideas like “Hey, this item sells well. Let’s keep selling it!”

My dad has owned convenience stores in the US in the past (in the 1980’s until he had a falling out with his partner because my Dad wanted a drive-through pharmacy and the guy wasn’t having it…he will never stop telling that story and how he was a visionary…), and was intrigued by 7’s dominance here.

My dad was considering opening one here last year when my parents came. He had me call them to discuss the options and decided against it because there’s no way to alter the prices on goods in TW because of consumer protection laws. Basically the same bottle of water in Taipei 101 is the same price as the one in the middle of nowhere Zhanghua. The only way to make up for the extreme difference in rent is to hope you have increased traffic, which means increased turnover of goods, which means restocking more frequently, which means hiring more workers. Restocking is also inconvenient for certain locations, as well. The only way to increase the price of goods is to be located somewhere like Green Island because they can get away with surcharging for stocking goods (it came over on a boat), but even then it is literally only paying for the cargo charge, no profit there.

We learned that 7 makes a good amount of it’s money from bill payments and related things. Apparently 7 is just doing a wire transfer from their own account to whomever you have to pay. If you look at the barcodes, it’s just the bank, account number, amount, and customer number in the memo spot. Nothing complicated there. That’s why they only accept cash for these type of payments. They need to back up what they put out of their accounts immediately with real cash in the register. It seems that just owning an iBon machine that can accept cash would make far more sense…hmmm…that gives me an idea for back home…

In the end, he decided the only place to open a 7 is on a main road in a place outside the downtown area. Basically to be the only one in that area with a relatively low population. The only way he would have opened it is if it were easy for me to check up on for him. That, and I wouldn’t be able to give myself an ARC to be ‘owner/manager’ or something official to do things on his behalf because I haven’t graduated university and it just seemed like it was more trouble than it’s worth. For our situation, anyway.

BTW has anyone used their dry cleaning service before?

Can’t believe they have Cherry Coke. I’m going to hit all the 7s tomorrow now.

OKbun - they have dry cleaning?

I think it is only available in northern Taiwan only.
7-11.com.tw/service/wash.asp

[quote=“mike029”]
In the end, he decided the only place to open a 7 is on a main road in a place outside the downtown area. Basically to be the only one in that area with a relatively low population.[/quote]

So true.
Yesterday, on the way back from the Airport we took the 108 and confirm this ‘vision’ again…
Suddenly, the brightest, biggest, spaciest ,cleanest, ever seen 2-floor supermarket size 7’ was to be found in a rural township.
Of course, no competition in a wide area, positioned strategically next to the only school in the surroundings and most likely on a road being frequently used by cyclist in the weekend.
Good choice i’d say.

I’ve seen plenty of 7’s close. It’s tight profit margins and hard work for many. Taiwan has the highest concentration of convenience stores in the world.

7/11 here kicks ass. 10x better than the ones in Los angeles.

[quote=“mike029”]
My dad was considering opening one here last year when my parents came. He had me call them to discuss the options and decided against it because there’s no way to alter the prices on goods in TW because of consumer protection laws. Basically the same bottle of water in Taipei 101 is the same price as the one in the middle of nowhere Zhanghua. [/quote]

This simply cannot be true.

At Safe n Save, coke, water, cookies (little snack things) are much cheaper than they are at 711.

Unless there is some sort of “price ceiling” and 711 just charges the highest one, where the larger chains dont.

gotta resurrect this thread…
7-Eleven sometimes can be ahead of the curve.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2019/02/26/2003710398

So far, only in Hsinyi District.

Has anyone noticed an influx of Japanese snacks lately?

More than the normal Japanese choices.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-02/7-eleven-owner-to-buy-marathon-s-speedway-unit-for-21-billion

The transaction will add 3,900 stores to 9,800 locations operated by the retailer’s U.S.-based 7-Eleven Inc. unit, the Tokyo-based company said in a statement Monday.

An all-cash transaction. Sheet, this company got a ton of money.