The 7-Eleven Thread

my local Sev just started selling Cherry Coke as well as Sam Adams (things will be glorious when both drunk and sober). All they need now is microwaveable burritos and turkey salad sandwiches and I’ll be happy as a swine in poop.

Nice work Mr. Tong-Yi, but knowing your track record the Cherry Coke will be gone soon and the Sam Adams will be pushed aside for more Bar Beer. Here’s to hoping I am wrong.

Christ, I wish there were 7s over here on the other side of the area.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]my local Sev just started selling Cherry Coke as well as Sam Adams (things will be glorious when both drunk and sober). All they need now is microwaveable burritos and turkey salad sandwiches and I’ll be happy as a swine in poop.

Nice work Mr. Tong-Yi, but knowing your track record the Cherry Coke will be gone soon and the Sam Adams will be pushed aside for more Bar Beer. Here’s to hoping I am wrong.[/quote]

Been walking around town enough times lately to see that Sam Adams is indeed quite consistently shelved in a growing number of 7-11s.

[quote=“CTaitung”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]my local Sev just started selling Cherry Coke as well as Sam Adams (things will be glorious when both drunk and sober). All they need now is microwaveable burritos and turkey salad sandwiches and I’ll be happy as a swine in poop.

Nice work Mr. Tong-Yi, but knowing your track record the Cherry Coke will be gone soon and the Sam Adams will be pushed aside for more Bar Beer. Here’s to hoping I am wrong.[/quote]

Been walking around town enough times lately to see that Sam Adams is indeed quite consistently shelved in a growing number of 7-11s.[/quote]

Sam Adams!? Rockefeller AFK :smiley:

Just last week my friend paid the phone bill, bought mints and a bottle of wine, bought condoms (that did not work), used a pregnancy test, printed photos, obtained a marriage license, made copies, bought and lit off fireworks, bought disgusting pineapple cakes for the in-laws, saw a magistrate in the bathroom, gave birth, denied it was mine (I mean theirs), saw a judge, paid the fine, ratified the contract, annulled the contract, grabbed a can of coke (with a straw mind you), gawked at the nearly naked girl on the cover of Next Magazine sitting next to the cash register (while muttering to myself about the sad state of Taiwan media)…

chatted with taxi driver in the window, ate a hotdog, used the toilet (number 1 and 2), mixed some salad, watched a girl heat up sake in the microwave (that turned out amazingly great at the hot spring later), flirted with semi-hot girl at the register while semi-ignoring her gay co-employee because they are cool too, spit in the pots holding stinky green eggs but bought one anyway and harassed my friends who didn’t buy one…

threw my outside trash into the little window below the food table, bought a map in Chinese which I can’t really read but still used to help navigate home, pretending I was riding one of the big motorcycles outside to try and impress the beetlenut chewing shoeless old chinese man next to me, petted a stray dog on a stroll through the store…

watched lesbian-curious schoolgirls staring into each other’s eyes in front of the Doves dark chocolate candy bar rack, banged my head on the slow door, picked up some seaweed Doritos because for some reason they seem tasty, paid my car insurance, stood in a long line because 7/11 was the only shop in the local area to buy anything worth eating or drinking, drank cheap beer because my English teacher and foreigner Chinese language student friends didn’t want to spend money in the bar down the street…

bought a banana in a plastic bag even though there is a huge fruit stand across the street, pulled some cash from the ATM even though I didn’t need it at the moment, picked up some tissue to use for toilet paper at the dirty disgusting toilet next door, had some of the best freshly made coffee available, sadly wondered how 7/11 can be everywhere in Taiwan putting so many mom and pop stores that can take that local money and inject it back into the local economy…out of business, and all this with only a yoyo card.

But I digress…

I like the 7-Eleven near my home.

Same manager for 8 yrs now.

And they have Sam Adams and cherry coke. (I drink neither here) Good coffee - she makes sure the coffee machine is thoroughly cleaned everyday.

[quote=“tango42”]Just last week my friend paid the phone bill, bought mints and a bottle of wine, bought condoms (that did not work), used a pregnancy test, printed photos, obtained a marriage license, made copies, bought and lit off fireworks, bought disgusting pineapple cakes for the in-laws, saw a magistrate in the bathroom, gave birth, denied it was mine (I mean theirs), saw a judge, paid the fine, ratified the contract, annulled the contract, grabbed a can of coke (with a straw mind you), gawked at the nearly naked girl on the cover of Next Magazine sitting next to the cash register (while muttering to myself about the sad state of Taiwan media)…

chatted with taxi driver in the window, ate a hotdog, used the toilet (number 1 and 2), mixed some salad, watched a girl heat up sake in the microwave (that turned out amazingly great at the hot spring later), flirted with semi-hot girl at the register while semi-ignoring her gay co-employee because they are cool too, spit in the pots holding stinky green eggs but bought one anyway and harassed my friends who didn’t buy one…

threw my outside trash into the little window below the food table, bought a map in Chinese which I can’t really read but still used to help navigate home, pretending I was riding one of the big motorcycles outside to try and impress the beetlenut chewing shoeless old chinese man next to me, petted a stray dog on a stroll through the store…

watched lesbian-curious schoolgirls staring into each other’s eyes in front of the Doves dark chocolate candy bar rack, banged my head on the slow door, picked up some seaweed Doritos because for some reason they seem tasty, paid my car insurance, stood in a long line because 7/11 was the only shop in the local area to buy anything worth eating or drinking, drank cheap beer because my English teacher and foreigner Chinese language student friends didn’t want to spend money in the bar down the street…

bought a banana in a plastic bag even though there is a huge fruit stand across the street, pulled some cash from the ATM even though I didn’t need it at the moment, picked up some tissue to use for toilet paper at the dirty disgusting toilet next door, had some of the best freshly made coffee available, sadly wondered how 7/11 can be everywhere in Taiwan putting so many mom and pop stores that can take that local money and inject it back into the local economy…out of business, and all this with only a yoyo card.

But I digress…[/quote]

Ah, life of an expat :thumbsup:

I’m jealous :scooby:

I prefer 7 over Family Mart because the food and coffee taste better at 7. Also I have been saving some money since I found out about their recycle program.

Exchange waste batteries for foods and drinks at convenient stores
[Exchange waste batteries for foods and drinks at convenient stores

Since there’s a 7-11 thread…

Has anyone seen the Wei’s ice cream bars recently? Every 7-11 I’ve looked in over the past month or so has not had them. I don’t remember if the ice cream selection is seasonal or not - will they be back in the summer, or are they, like everything else I like, gone for good?

You’re supposed to just mix coke with Disaronno. Cherry coke + drunk.

[quote=“CTaitung”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]my local Sev just started selling Cherry Coke as well as Sam Adams (things will be glorious when both drunk and sober). All they need now is microwaveable burritos and turkey salad sandwiches and I’ll be happy as a swine in poop.

Been walking around town enough times lately to see that Sam Adams is indeed quite consistently shelved in a growing number of 7-11s.[/quote]
Ssh!
We may not know how long this splendid thing will last…

Yay Tango42, I read your post with interest and all the while I said to myself, “What exaggeration and bullshit!” But then I realized… I did see almost all of these things in my years of being here.

BAR beer pretty much stands alone in crapworthiness

For the most part, 7-11 and Family Mart Employees are so cheerful and helpful no matter the time of day or night. I can’t imagine why or how. Compare that to the 7-11 worker in the States.

I was shocked on my visit back to the states. I think the 7-11 worker gets really low pay here. And they do so much more.
Like the OP said… I pay my traffic tickets, buy books, phone card, get theater tickets and so on. …

In the states, I was in trouble for a late phone bill once. I went to a convience store that offered this service. The boss or clerk did not really want to do it. He had to drag out a machine, plug it in and what not. Ok, it was a very long time ago. But each step he did, he made comments to make me feel guilty.

The service is always with a smile here. I wonder if I could even do it.

We like our 7-11 too. Once the regular cashier fronted me a few NTs. Not a biggie, but she just took some money out of her pocket and made up for the difference for me (paid her back the next day, btw).

I have never ever been to a 7-11 in San Francisco. There is one about two miles away, but we’ve only driven past it, never gone inside. Strange.

The sevens here that iv been to (3 in particular)in the east bay, while not unfriendly are not super friendly. They are usually manned by their owners it seems, so no young people. And the owners have been from 3rd world countries, at least these three.

i have no trouble with them. Their prices are higher so I dont normally go there unless i need one or two simple things.

I also spotted cherry coke in my local the other day, so bought up the whole supply - not gonna risk that running out any time soon!

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]For the most part, 7-11 and Family Mart Employees are so cheerful and helpful no matter the time of day or night. I can’t imagine why or how. Compare that to the 7-11 worker in the States.

I was shocked on my visit back to the states. I think the 7-11 worker gets really low pay here. And they do so much more.
Like the OP said… I pay my traffic tickets, buy books, phone card, get theater tickets and so on. …

In the states, I was in trouble for a late phone bill once. I went to a convience store that offered this service. The boss or clerk did not really want to do it. He had to drag out a machine, plug it in and what not. Ok, it was a very long time ago. But each step he did, he made comments to make me feel guilty.

The service is always with a smile here. I wonder if I could even do it.[/quote]

Considering how dangerous it is to be a convenience store clerk in the states, I don’t really begrudge them.

I wish they have nachos at 7 but I don’t think that’s ever going to happen. Mexican food is never popular in Taiwan.

…which I don’t get because they’re obsessed with cheese