The *ahem* "world games"

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“hannes”]They built a nice stadium, but who is going to use it during or after the games?

Track and field, football, rugby?

And what’s with the high walls at the indoor sports center where the have gymnastics competitions? Why are the spectators so far away from the action?[/quote]

Apparently, World Games bidding rules state that stadiums and other venues have to either already be in existence, or already planned. Cities are not allowed to build new venues for the games like they do for the Olympics. Which means that Kaohsiung either planned to build a huge stadium regardless, or an absolute shitload of corruption took place in the bidding process.[/quote]
You’re probably right, but who cares? It’s in Kaohsuing, so I get to go watch Sevens next weekend for two days and I get to see and meet some international rugby stars from SA, Fiji etc…
The only other time I get to do this is the Hong Kong sevens, and then I actually have to go across the pond.

As far as I can see, media in Denmark have not mentioned the world games with one single word. None, nada.

Apart from Taiwan, who honestly cares?

[quote=“Mr He”]As far as I can see, media in Denmark have not mentioned the world games with one single word. None, nada.

Apart from Taiwan, who honestly cares?[/quote]
Probably no one except fans of the specific sports represented…

Or the actual competitors themselves.
If gambling on the games & free booze were involved, then there would be far more punters.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Mr He”]As far as I can see, media in Denmark have not mentioned the world games with one single word. None, nada.

Probably no one except fans of the specific sports represented…[/quote]

But the rugby sevens are about the only thing that could actually be called a sport, aren’t they? It’s great for you, and other fans but I’m guessing there probably aren’t many fans of things like tug-of-war. :smiley:

I’m a huge fan of fistball!

We couldn’t get down to Kaoshiung for the World Games but the wife and I are already planning our vacation to Austria for the 2011 Fistball World Championships.

cough

[quote=“Ecaps”]I’m a huge fan of fistball!

We couldn’t get down to Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) for the World Games but the wife and I are already planning our vacation to Austria for the 2011 Fistball World Championships.

cough[/quote]

Two questions: first, was the cough the response to being a victim of a ferocious “fistballing”, 'cause I’d be doing a whole lot more than coughing (I’m thinking Kirk inside Planet Genesis screaming Khaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn) and second, when I went to check out the website to see what games were going on, I noticed there are what maybe 3 total games in the new stadium, so just what the f**k do the World Games need a huge brand new stadium for in the first place, Taipei or anywhere else? I realize it was a Toyo Ito “Japanese special” so I imagine the western contingent would be small bordering on non-existent, but someone in this bunch must be either in on the stadium job or know an expat who was, you know, for the 115V, or reducing the amount of sand in the concrete pours…

And three, no wait…

I just saw a news story today that the Deaf Olympics swimming pool was built 8 lanes wide, but should have been 10. So now the swimming competition will be moved to Hsinchu. Also, apparently the planners new it should be 10, but due to a lack of space (poor design of the facility) they approved 8 lane width anyway).

KMT Taipei City Council corruption or incompetence?

Yes.

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Mr He”]As far as I can see, media in Denmark have not mentioned the world games with one single word. None, nada.

Probably no one except fans of the specific sports represented…[/quote]

But the rugby sevens are about the only thing that could actually be called a sport, aren’t they? It’s great for you, and other fans but I’m guessing [color=#FF0000]there probably aren’t many fans of things like tug-of-war.[/color] :smiley:[/quote]
My wife is digging the tug-of-war, as the Taiwanese girls team is kicking ass. Just saw them whup the British team.

Given, some of the “sports” are odd, but the martial arts are pretty cool, the bodybuilding and powerlifting should also be interesting. Korfball and squash aren’t too bad either.

Just saw the Taiwanese female tug-of-war team beat the Netherlands in the final for the gold medal.

Nice one Taiwan mei-mei!

Best thing by far about these World Games will be the after party this Saturday night, 7/25 at Join-Us in Kaosiung… The Moneyshot Horns, Taichung’s finest funk-ska band are playing and they have an excellent and devilishly handsome new guitar player, cough, cough, ahem, and Moneyshot rocks so come see the show anyway if you’re in KHH this weekend, it’ll be a blast!..

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 62&t=80317

[quote=“Kea”]I just saw a news story today that the Deaf Olympics swimming pool was built 8 lanes wide, but should have been 10. So now the swimming competition will be moved to Hsinchu. Also, apparently the planners new it should be 10, but due to a lack of space (poor design of the facility) they approved 8 lane width anyway).

KMT Taipei City Council corruption or incompetence?[/quote]

This story might clarify. The venues for the Deaf Olympics are not decided by the city government, but must be agreed by the International Deaf Federation. They had originally planned to build a ten lane swimming pool in Tianmu, but due environmental concerns and residents’ complaints the work was delayed, so they moved the competition to Xinzhu. They had never considered using the Songshan sports centre as a venue.
udn.com/NEWS/SPORTS/SPO1/5028040.shtml

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“Kea”]I just saw a news story today that the Deaf Olympics swimming pool was built 8 lanes wide, but should have been 10. So now the swimming competition will be moved to Hsinchu. Also, apparently the planners new it should be 10, but due to a lack of space (poor design of the facility) they approved 8 lane width anyway).

KMT Taipei City Council corruption or incompetence?[/quote]

This story might clarify. The venues for the Deaf Olympics are not decided by the city government, but must be agreed by the International Deaf Federation. They had originally planned to build a ten lane swimming pool in Tianmu, but due environmental concerns and residents’ complaints the work was delayed, so they moved the competition to Xinzhu. They had never considered using the Songshan sports centre as a venue.
udn.com/NEWS/SPORTS/SPO1/5028040.shtml[/quote]

Phew. It seemed based on the slant of the news report that there’d been a ‘balls up’ for some reason, that they built this pool specifically for the Deaf Olympics.

I was a bit worried that the KMT were corrupt. Glad that this is not true, it’s enough that the DPP are as dirty as mud.

I’d like to try ultimate frisbee.

Is dodgeball included? If it isn’t then they’ve really missed a trick. My money would be on the bushiban teacher team from Taiwan.

If my wife allows it I’ll be coming down to watch the rugby sevens. My mate told me last night that it’s the weekend after next. There’ll be a hell of a lot of westerners for that, and all the ones from the hard-drinking countries. Can’t wait. Negotiations with the boss commence today…

Went to see the acrobatics yesterday. It was great but beware, kids and adults tend to forget to put on deodorant.

I’ll be going to the dancing sport too on saturday as the request of the lady. Tickets were a bit pricey. Its also too bad though, all the closing ceremony tickets have been sold out.

[quote=“tomthorne”]I’d like to try ultimate frisbee.

Is dodgeball included? If it isn’t then they’ve really missed a trick. My money would be on the buxiban teacher team from Taiwan.

If my wife allows it I’ll be coming down to watch the rugby sevens. My mate told me last night that it’s the weekend after next. There’ll be a hell of a lot of westerners for that, and all the ones from the hard-drinking countries. Can’t wait. Negotiations with the boss commence today…[/quote]
The Sevens is on Friday (24 July) and Saturday (25 July). I’ll be there on both days with some mates. Already bought the tickets two weeks ago.

Cheers Bismark. I’ll begin negotiation now. Friday’s out but Saturday’s a possibility as I have a lot more free time these days. I’ll need to look into ticket availability, although I’ve heard that the organisers are struggling to sell many.

You know you can buy at 7-11, right?

Cheers again. This is just getting better and better. I’ve just scored a yes from the wife.