The *ahem* "world games"

here’s the schedule…irb.com/mm/document/newsmedi … r_8647.pdf

no kiwi team so i won’t be there…

I saw on the news that some of the female foreign competitors have been getting attention on the beaches around KHH. Seems that public opinion is their bikinis are too small. The footage included police discouraging locals from harassing them with taking photos…The report also compared uniforms of the Brazilian and Chinese Taipei female teams for some kind of beach handball type sport. The conclusion seemed to be that the Brazilian’s unis were a little too revealing, showing just a little too much cheek, compared to the CT team’s granny pants ones. So funny! :laughing:

You know, these kinds of posts are just not useful with out pictures or links. :wink:

Apparently a few of them were topless, much to the amusement of the people around them. :slight_smile: Unfortunately the cops came by and asked them to put their tops back on.

I think women should all go topless at the beach. Equal rights to men .

Two points:

1. What’s with having a special games for deaf people? I can understand that people missing limbs can’t run, jump or throw things like everyone else, but what about deaf people? Wave a flag instead of shooting a gun, and they’re off to the finish line as fast as the next guy. What’s the problem, unless they have a problem with their balance, but I’ve never seen a deaf person with a balance problem.

On a side note, we have about a dozen or so deaf kids at our school, and every so often, in one of the early morning school assemblies, all the kids have to do this kind of aerobics/dance thing to the music. Not one of the deaf kids (all of whom get put in a group to the side) ever remotely comes close to doing the right moves. It’s so fucked up.

1. I don’t see the point of the World Games. It seems that if Taiwan (as host country or not) can do well then it’s because serious sporting nations don’t give a shit and aren’t sending enough (or the right) people. It’s like the Commonwealth Games where you’ve got a couple of serious countries and then a bunch of lightweights, only even more retarded.

Put that way, why do we even have a Rugby World Cup. May as well crown the Tri-Nations champions the world champions. That way SA and Aussie still have their two wins and New Zealand (as undisputed kings of the Tri-Nations) can claim a world rugby title that is actually in living memory.
And don’t even mention the English fluke of 2003. They caught the southern hemisphere in a unique year when all three sides were on a down spin (SA, self inflicted, NZ through losses of older players and rebuilding, Ozzie the same). That’s not going to happen in a hurry again.

I agree about the Deaf games. But the Commonwealth games are pretty good with plenty of world class stars competing. At the Olympics the Aussies and Brits always win a shit load of medals, the Kenyans romp all over everyone in anything over a sprint and the Nigerians and Caribbean sprinters are equally awesome. Let’s not forget where Usain Bolt is from. Hardly a lightweight.
In fact, if the commonwealth nations competed as the British Empire they’d be run away champions in the Olympics and the World Championships, not to mention every other World Cup tournament, with the exception of the Football World Cup.

As for the World games, I’m all for it if it gets rugby sevens into the Olympics.

If you guys did not like the opening ceremonies of the World Games, wait until you see the Deaflympics. Yesterday, they had the opening of a related venue, and the “box” from which the atletes were supposed to emerge malfunctioned and almost crushed them -did not open flatly as planned. The press was going gaga about the “embarrassment”.

Then the English translator kinda faltered…

I have a certain feeling here, folks.

bismarck: I’m not into rugby. I think the two defining characteristics of Olympic sports should be that 1) you don’t have to be an afficianado to understand/know the rules or who is winning and why, 2) they have to be played or practised by sizeable numbers of people all over the world.

Icon: It sounds like something out of This is Spinal Tap.

I definetively have to start a thread about the Deaflympics: just went by Zhongxiao Fuxing, where they have the weirdest tree sculpture with the Deaflympics mascots…

Spinal Tap you say? Somebody definetively was high on binglan when they did and put that thing in a crowded intersection…

well at least we can say Taiwan is a world leader in fucking things up and being generally embarrassing…merember that tug of war competition when the rope broke and peoples arms got yanked from their sockets? not just anyone could manage that sort of a cock up…

[quote=“Icon”]I definetively have to start a thread about the Deaflympics: just went by Zhongxiao Fuxing, where they have the weirdest tree sculpture with the Deaflympics mascots…

Spinal Tap you say? Somebody definetively was high on binglan when they did and put that thing in a crowded intersection…[/quote]

I was thinking of three scenes in particular:

1. When the bassist, Derek Smalls, can’t get out of the cocoon at one show;
  2. When they all get lost backstage (apparently it really happened to Bob Dylan once);
  3. The whole Stonehenge thing (which actually happened with Black Sabbath, except theirs was too big, not too small – they couldn’t fit it into many stadiums and a dwarf broke his back falling off it, rather than a dwarf stepping on it).

Diana ross! youtube.com/watch?v=WXjCKwBtG0I Totally funny for work.

Well, that would describe Sevens rugby. If you can’t read a number next to a team name, it’s real easy. Run. Put ball down. Five points. Repeat.

Sizeable numbers? It’s played in 95 countries and growing. More than can be said for quite a few obscure sports at the Olympics. I bet your country plays it, and assuming you’re Canadian or from the US, that would make your union a top 20 union in the rankings.

And the Sevens competition was a pretty big success. The local side got a good win over the US team. A small (although traditionally strong sevens union) team, Fiji, won. And an even smaller, but growing union, Portugal, came second.
Loads of people were there on Saturday, but lots of Taiwanese said that the tourny hadn’t been very well publicized. Some who where there on Saturday had only heard of it on the Friday night news.

But, whatever. It was awesome. And typical of rugby, I made loads of new acquaintances and had a blast. And unlike with hooligan sports like soccer (football for the Euro crowd), I was able to bring my two year old son and make a family outing of it.

From my POV, well done to the organizers. I’ll definitely be going to HK next year.

Down with Frisbee, up with Flying Disc!

Bismarck: Those are good points, especially about soccer. I guess I just don’t see the point, generally, with these large sporting competitions (since I’m not really that into watching sport), especially when very strong sporting nations don’t send strong contingents or don’t take the sports that seriously to begin with. I guess I find the notion that Taiwan could perform well a little bit quaint.

Also, Im Australian, though in my part of the country, rugby isn’t really played (in any form), so I know next to nothing about rugby.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Bismarck: Those are good points, especially about soccer. I guess I just don’t see the point, generally, with these large sporting competitions (since I’m not really that into watching sport), especially when very strong sporting nations don’t send strong contingents or don’t take the sports that seriously to begin with. I guess I find the notion that Taiwan could perform well a little bit quaint.

[color=#FF0000]Also, Im Australian, though in my part of the country, rugby isn’t really played (in any form), so I know next to nothing about rugby.[/color][/quote]
Good Lord man!
Where you from? Melbourne? I have some friends from there and they don’t seem that interested, either.

Although, they do play AFL in Melbourne, right?

Bismarck: Yes, I’m from Melbourne, though rugby is really only big in Queensland, New South Wales and the ACT. Everywhere else, it’s AFL. That said, I couldn’t give a rodent’s earlobe about AFL either. In fact, I’ve never really been one for watching or playing ball sports. They all bore me to tears (to play and to watch).

‘ball sports’ sounds a lot like Pocket Billiards.

nothing wrong with that.

alternatively, there’s always AC/DC