The Ahmaud Arbery Trial

Yup it is clearly him. He had no business being there.

Was he the only person that had a look around?
I half remember the owner saying multiple people had been on the site and even kids had been playing there, but i can’t find the news item online.

1 Like

Multiple people had been there. Arbery had been there multiple times Some had taken stuff. Arbery had not.

Despite people saying he had no business being there, simply being on someone’s property doesn’t mean you’re trespassing (it generally has to be somewhat secured (something like a fence, door, gate, etc), posted, you had to have told the person’s previously not to be there, or you tell 5hem to leave and they don’t (a common exception is farmland - stay off, even with no fence, not posted).

That’s what I remember from the news and there was videos of other people on the site. But I couldn’t find the report that showed all the clips.

2 Likes

I think this one has been discussed less because many are assuming it’s a slam dunk the defendants get convicted (I’m less sure with all the stumpfucks in rural Georgia). But yea, there were certainly some fucked up issues with how the DA handled those shitbirds.

What has the defense been?

They reasonably suspected Arbery was committing burglary so were legitimately trying to effect a citizen’s arrest. Travis McMichael was trying to deescalate the situation by pointing gun at Arbery when he wouldn’t answer them while being chased (he says Arbery looked really angry), and that it was Travis McMichael that was attacked and acting in self defense.

Yeah, that’s a hard sell. While I admit, AA came around the truck and shockingly, desperately?, lunged for the rifle, them boys had been chasing him Dukes a Hazzard style for a few minutes. I can’t see how that is self defense.

What are they charged with? Just to catch us all up, if you know that is.

Honestly, that would work for me. Point a gun at me and you have my complete attention. :idunno:

murder (forget what kind), assault, false imprisonment… some other stuff too, but those are the biggies.

I think if a couple good old boys were chasing me in pickups with guns, I sure as fuck wouldn’t want to be stopping. If I were a black dude in the small town south, I might have thoughts of James Byrd running through my head.

1 Like

I’m a redneck and a hunter. I know lots of rednecks and hunters as well. People who use guns don’t behave like this normally. I’d stop and explain to them an obvious case of mistaken identity.

My mouth in a crisis doesn’t need speed or rounds, just a calm brain and some yogi breathing. :laughing:

1 Like

In Arbery’s case, McMichael testified that Arbery was exactly who he thought he was looking for.

I’ve got guns too. I don’t trust people that are irresponsible with guns (Travis had an unsecured pistol stolen from his pickup (overnight, iirc)) and brandish them; they tend to be morons in many ways.

Well, I ONLY say that is what EYE would do here where I live. AA does not even figure in that equation.

Regardless of their intent or guilt in this case, these guys are stupid. All they had to do is keep quiet and it would have gone away.

I’ve changed my view in this case if they have admitted to pointing their guns at AA and threatening him before he charged. If they had seen him commit a crime of any type, I would support them, but once again they ran their mouths and said something dumb.

The charges laid out

Obviously, but the black community it seems weren’t confused, I don’t recall any leaders of the black community turning out to the Rittenhouse trial, whereas nearly all of them seem to be there for the Ahmaud Arbery case.

2 Likes

If the dead guys dad been black they would have been there

1 Like

The one guy Rittenhouse tried to shoot and missed “drop kick guy” was black, might have been different if he had shot him. Lucky for both of them perhaps.

Nope. If someone points a gun at me I will draw and empty the clip into their chest. And the killing will be justified self defense.

No reason to point the barrel of a gun at anyone unless you intend to kill them. If you’re not going to pull the trigger then don’t show the gun. You’ll only get shot.