The Answer to the World's Food Problems

In one year, a single acre of black soldier fly larvae can produce more protein than 3,000 acres of cattle or 130 acres of soybeans. Such yields, combined with the need to find cheap, reliable protein for a global population projected to jump 30 per cent, to 9.8 billion by 2050, present big opportunity for the black soldier fly. The United Nations, which already warns that animal-rich diets cannot stretch that far long term, is encouraging governments and businesses to turn to insects to fulfill the planetā€™s protein needs.

yā€™all ready for larvae 豆ę¼æ, larvae 豆花, etc., yumm

1 Like

ā€œOverpopulation is one of the main causes of climate change! Here, have some maggots to make sure thereā€™s enough food for the ever growing population!ā€

Yeah nah, the United Nations can get fucked, thanks.

1 Like

Youā€™ve obviously never enjoyed the rich, buttery flavor and creamy texture of fresh larvae!

1 Like

waitā€¦Iā€™ve just opened up a blank Word Document to start my business plan.
just need to source larvae locally

stinky larvae 豆腐

It seems like only yesterday that the Peopleā€™s Daily was printing recipes for cockroach.

Most ā€˜rich peopleā€™sā€™ foods started out as poor peopleā€™s food. Enjoy it now as long as you can.

1 Like

We have been breeding these, amd others, for years.

Soldier fly larvae will not likely make it to human consumption due to the environment they live. They are used in animal feed lots. Thats what we sell them for.

Other insects are much more suited for human food directly.

There are some insect breeders in the Netherlands and other countries but prices and visual perception are still not suited for mass consumption.

Prices match. Cheaper than most things once scaled up. So that thought is a myth.

Second point is accurate. I have been trying for 15 years on this point and im burned out. Mostly cause i was honest and pointing out facts. Others that are more keen will market towards the stupid. All i can say now is: think about what is in a hot dog wiener, squid/fish/pork/whatever ball, pasta etc etc. Its the disconnect people tend to have with manufacturing. The more ignorant the populace, the more job security for marketing. Im tapping out.

EDIT. Tapping out after these points.

Insect foods have these very important benefits over bird, mammal and fish based meats.

• no wild harvest needed (think ocean net style)

• usually no strong lighting needs (see mammal and bird species, less so aquatic species.

• stackable culture vs typical land based footprint

• species dependant, but many such as varius beetle larvae, roaches, flies, crickets/grasshoppers can be farmed in dense quantities without infringing on animal cruelty concepts.

• easier human killing pricess (see above animal cruelty issue)

• feed input to food output ratio is way better. ā€œFCRā€ = feed conversion ratio. Frankly, plant and fungal foods should employ such basic standards.

• when processed into something, the yuck factor goes away. Cricket balls are easilly way more appealing than fish balls if you got an honest look at the factories and how they process them.

• allergies remain a real concern. Something to keep in mind with exoskeletons and chitin. Thats one of all of our efforts cor insect future is lowering the chitin to ā€œmeatā€ ratios of the bug. Hence why i doubt you will see a mealworm being long term