The bass

Ha, I saw the three of them some years ago… poor Marcus Miller, he was supposedly the star… but people wanted Wooten and Clarke :slight_smile:

I like Wooten the best- he’s the best musician in my opinion. And you’ve got to love Stanley Clarke because he kind of started it all (and because he plays one of my all-time favorite fusion tunes- Quiet Afternoon). Marcus Miller seems to put together the best bands and I like how he lets everyone else solo first before he let’s loose with some serious slap bass. Hell, they’re all good!

eh … I dunno, Wooten is pretty incredible, but it seems like a lot of modern bass players value technique over musicianship and melody. They can get pretty carried away just showing off. Sometimes less is more!

Wooten comes from a family of musicians and he’s a very well-round bassist. I chose that particular song because I didn’t think most people on this forum would give many of his other songs a chance.

This is basically an ad for pickups. The good news is that Wooten covers various different styles and techniques to show what can be done with them.

The genius of Abraham Laboriel. The awesomeness starts at around 1:35.

2 Likes

Very nice jam. Really like Federico Malaman’s style.

1 Like
2 Likes

It really looks like she’s having fun!

1 Like

I’ve been binge-watching this guy’s channel lately. If I practiced for a billion years I’d never get even close to what this guy can do with a bass, and he looks barely out of his 20s.

A lot of bass players think it’s all about speed and technique, and end up just producing noise with no artistic value. CB is all about the music.

3 Likes

Julia
Julia
Julia

1 Like

I like this one:

2 Likes

The Chicken. Jaco Pastorius and others. The groove is just so nice.

1 Like