The Bayou in Kaohsiung

Hi all,

Just went to a Cajun restaurant in Kaohsiung today called The Bayou. I guess it opened in January, but I didn’t hear of it until earlier this week. I went there with a couple of co-workers.

They have a nice menu with sandwiches, jambalaya, burgers, drinks and salads. I had a bottle of Erdinger Dark (never saw it before) and a Fiesta Burger. Pretty good stuff. I plan to go back again soon. The small chalkboard outside says (in Chinese) Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday all you can eat spaghetti.

Update: The current address is:
226 Mingcheng 1st Road, Zuoying District, Kaohsiung
高雄市左營區明誠一路226號
Telephone: (07) 310-7293

They open at 6:00 and are closed on Mondays.

I’ve been there (many times) and I’d have to agree. The food rocks. They also have a honey lager from a Canadian Microbrewery that I haven’t seen anyone else sell.

Yeah, that honey lager is good – Costco sells it, along with a few other kinds from the same microbrewery. Granville Island of B.C., as I recall.

Lately here they’ve been getting several other kinds of beers and ales…some pretty good stuff so far. And now they have a huge burger, too, which is expensive but awesome!

Did you finish it? I tried, but I couldn’t get through it all.

Yep. Didn’t need to eat supper after that kind of lunch, though. :slight_smile:

Gotta jot down the addy.

Still haven’t found the place yet. I’m dying to go and enjoy a burger.

Heard so many “best kept secret” references to this place…

I’ve been living in Kaohsiung for over a decade and I’ve never had a bad experience there. Great food, great atmosphere and excellent service, in my experience as a very loyal patron.

The Bayou is currently closed. They are relocating. Until only a couple weeks ago, they were on Mincheng Road. They plan to re-open in April but no official date was released yet. They are currently working hard on setting up their new location. I don’t have the address but I know it will be in the area near Yucheng Road and Boai Road. It’s much closer to where I live so I’m very happy about this.

The menu is supposed to be revamped and they plan to open a second location in the future. I was told they also plan to have a different menu in each location. I’m looking forward to it.

Thanks for the post/update Robin. Forgive my map skills but the area you mentioned is around Kaohsiung Arena, close to the Lighthouse, right?

Anyway I’ll put in a good word for this place happily…it’s by far my favorite restaurant in Taiwan. You can tell when real love is put into the food and into a restaurant generally, and the Bayou has never let me down. Looking forward to the new place.

[quote=“mups”]Thanks for the post/update Robin. Forgive my map skills but the area you mentioned is around Kaohsiung Arena, close to the Lighthouse, right? [/quote]That’s right. It will be closer to the Lighthouse, a few blocks away from the arena.

Surprised the Bayou itself hasn’t announced here, but 2 people told me it open again at the location near the lighthouse. Haven’t seen it myself but plan on going there this weekend, assuming this is true!

[quote=“mups”]Surprised the Bayou itself hasn’t announced here, but 2 people told me it open again at the location near the lighthouse. Haven’t seen it myself but plan on going there this weekend, assuming this is true![/quote]They opened last week. I was there on the weekend. The place looks very good. They kept the same theme and colors. It’s done up very well. So thumbs up for that. The menu, though, is disappointing to me. They took the burgers, the pizza and the ribs off the menu. These are the three things I almost always craved when I went to the Bayou in the past. They have other good things on the menu, but pretty much everything I usually eat there is now off the menu. :frowning: I will still go there sometimes, but not nearly as often as I used to. Nothing I really crave there anymore. :frowning:

hmm interesting…I was actually thinking of trying a burger (usually I get the steak and mashed potatoes)…now I guess not. I liked their deep dish stuff too but rarely had it…I guess we’ll see how it goes in terms of the new menu stuff…nice to hear it’s bigger though…I’ll post back after the weekend.

Geez, I come to announce that we are open and I get beat. I know we’ve been open a week now, but I wanted to make sure things were under control before we started really telling people we are open. So yes we are open and we are near the Lighthouse. In fact, you can see our restaurant if you are at the Lighthouse. The address is Boa Jin St. #13. The phone number is 557-6188.

About the menu, well, as has been mentioned before, we are planning on opening a second location in the near future with a different menu. This menu will basically be all the things you don’t see from the past menu. Though I must say I find it odd that you say we took the pizzas off our current menu when we’ve actually expanded that side of the menu.

The next place will be called The Bayou Grill (or something along those lines), and as can be guessed by the name the menu will include the burgers, ribs, steaks, lamb, stuff that went on the grill…I think you get the idea. Anyway, we decided to split the menu because it was just getting too big. And to keep standards up, my temper (which is not good to begin with) and stress were at an all time high. Plus it just seems obvious that we were running two different restaurants from the same kitchen. So apologies if you were craving something, but rest assured the other side of the menu will be coming in the near future.

[quote=“thebayou”]

About the menu, well, as has been mentioned before, we are planning on opening a second location in the near future with a different menu. This menu will basically be all the things you don’t see from the past menu. Though I must say I find it odd that you say we took the pizzas off our current menu when we’ve actually expanded that side of the menu. [/quote] I’m really looking forward to the new place. The pizzas you have on the menu now are more like calzones, in my opinion. You don’t have just pizza anymore.

I see what you mean. Any of the traditional style pizzas we used to have on the menu can certainly be ordered.

Sounds great, looking forward to both places. You have far and and away the best western food in Taiwan from what I’ve tried, in fact the Bayou is one of my favourite places all-time to eat at, period. Keep up the good work, your passion for food is noted and appreciated. :slight_smile: I’ll definitely remain a loyal customer as long as you’re around.

Thaks for the kind words. I’ll be sure to pass it along to the rest of the staff.

Went in last weekend…same Bayou inside, just spacier, with a couple of tables outside, and facing a park. On one hand it’s not as cozy as the old one simply due to the bigger room, but still comfy and a really nice place to eat. Food was very nice as usual, ate like a fiend. Didn’t notice a menu difference much outside of the burger thing, but if you’re opening another place with a grill theme in the future that would be awesome. Best thing about the new place for me is the location, which is a lot easier to access via MRT, and from coming out of town especially. Nice to have you guys back.

I’ve been to the Bayou a few times and have tried lots of their meals, but I am frankly not impressed. The taste is bland and doesn’t taste like the food from back in the States.
(Sorry to all you fanboys)