The beginning of the end of remote working?

If you’re from Tesla, yeah sure.

Anywhere else it doesn’t really matter. Freelancers would say remote working has always been there, pre-pandemic. Sometimes it’s also called “consultancy.”

I like this.

I’m curious about this. Where did you read this? Quick Google search didn’t give me much

There’s a lot of hype around this guy. He became rich because of PayPal’s success, which he wasn’t responsible for.

Of course you will find lots of people saying how he’s a genius because he invented PayPal (not true) or the dumb hyperloop (not his idea either), but again, you’ll find lots of comments onlie on how super intelligent he is… based on nothing.

Sounds more like a scam artist.

fwiw, Max Levchin, co-founder and CTO of PayPal, (and CEO I think at one time) has spoken highly of Elon for many years, despite them being somewhat adversaries and having a quasi-falling out.

Says the guy was very business savvy and also a great person to work for/with because he understood the engineering side of things.

Yeah, OK, other people talking good about him. But he didn’t create PayPal, and the code (not even) remotely related to it was redone by others as soon as it was possible. He’s no genius.

Here’s the list of projects the media and followers associate with him:

I don’t consider him a genius and I’m fairly torn whether he’s at all good for society, but I was just presenting one bit of context. (I do like Max Levchin)

Also fwiw, of course Musk did not create PayPal because he created a competitor and then acquired PayPal (Confinity). Again, this doesn’t boost Musk’s credibility in anyway, just points out how flawed observers’ assumptions can be.

He actually coded mappng software with his brother. Then sold it for 100 million or whatever it was. I doubt he touched any code in Paypal.

My understanding is that Musk never acquired PayPal. More like the contrary, the other company, which main product was PayPal, acquired Zip2.

1 Like

He didn’t. Yet some people say he was the genius behind PayPal. He was a lucky bastard during the .com bubble.

1 Like

I have read a biography of his, the spaceX story is the most interesting and he does have a lot of knowledge of rockets and engineering. His biggest contribution in terms of technical achievements is SpaceX and getting that team together and rebirthing the US space program. Also took a huge amount of his personal fortune to make it happen. Very risky. Tesla was also impressive but more like something that the Chinese or others would have led if hadn’t was pushed it so fast.

SpaceX is another bluff and I would be surprised if any technological advance in that area came from him and not his engineers. Whatever happened to those trips to the other part of the World in a couple of hours and at ridiculous prices? (also how is that so environmentally friendly, he being the green solutions promoter that the World needed?) and how about those rockets being ready to relaunch in a matter of minutes after landing?

Bluff.

1 Like

As Max describes it, it was essentially a merger. But I believe technically they acquired Zip2/Confinity.

They were competitors and in the same bldg iirc and all hated each other prior to the merger lol.

This seems unfair. SpaceX have advanced the state of the art in a lot of ways. And sure, the engineers did that, but there’s a reason it happened at SpaceX and not at, say, NASA.

Musk obviously isn’t a technical genius, but he also obviously has a rare ability to make things happen. Sometimes those things are dumb, but sometimes they’re really good.

2 Likes

Hasn’t delivered many… What really good things he made happen?

Besides SpaceX? There was a flame thrower…

What about SpaceX, that company sucking public money for supposedly sending people to Mars, who knows what for?

Reusable boosters are a game changer for space. Rocket engines are expensive

Sure, they haven’t gotten the Starship figured out yet, but don’t forget that Russia had been the primary vehicle into orbit for a long time

Take a look at the new Chinese rockets. They’re not copying Russia anymore, now they’re copying SpaceX

I’m not saying there’s no use for that, but… what are the actual cost savings compared to Musk’s claims (reduce costs to 1/100? I suspect that’s not where the money goes, plus I also suspect that to carry all that mass in and out of the atmosphere is also probably not practical. Speaking of reusable things… is SpaceX’s proposal much better than the space shuttle? honest question, probably difficult to answer just googling because the internet is full of people parroting Musk’s stupid or wrong claims or overly enthusiastic opinions of his fans, when not just propaganda deliberately published for creating hype around Musk.

1 Like