The beginning of the end of remote working?

That’s probably what he wanted to do from the start, but being Musk you need to do something dumb to start the process.

But he won’t get away with it in Germany, they’ll (the union) bring down production in his factory in Berlin if he’s not careful.

Dear god this sounds frightening. :joy:

Guy

I watched this yesterday, the part where he mentions the “slight anxiety” when there’s a problem to solve resonates with me. “Slight anxiety” would be “tears at my desk” quite often, I don’t cope well at all, especially if I’m having to write code to solve the problem, which is why I’m trying to back up my technical skills at the moment. Upon watching this video, Mr Cleese explains that more creative people are more patient with finding the right solution, as opposed to a solution.

I have been asking myself if this overwhelmed feeling is indicative of that I’m just not built/not clever enough for it, or whether perhaps I just need to be more patient with myself.

Stuff like this is just awful for me, feels hopeless… although I can do the problem-solving element of it, (like, with pen and paper), getting a computer to do it in code… nope. Edit: I take that back :sweat:

1 Like

These algorithm tests are generally just stuff they teach in undergrad compsci. If you know them, they’re pretty obvious, but if you don’t you’re not going to figure them out in the limited time available, so don’t beat yourself up about it.

It’s good to know at least generally how things like graph traversal work, because it gives you new ways to think about problems. Like Perlis said:

1. Get into a rut early: Do the same process the same way. Accumulate idioms. Standardize. The only difference(!) between Shakespeare and you was the size of his idiom list - not the size of his vocabulary.

So maybe get yourself a data structures and algorithms book. There are plenty of friendly ones, and there is also TAOCP if you’re brave.

2 Likes

Does it matter? Elon sold himself off to China years ago.

he is a muppet, digging his own grave. Had such hope before, in the end he turned out as dumb as the rest of us.

Watch your mouth. :wink:

Elon dumb? Not sure about that. He cleverly used the whole “I am going to buy Twitter” thingy to liquidate a big portion of his Tesla holdings.

1 Like

he is a good engineer and is decent at misleading people. I’ll give him that :slight_smile:

Saying he is a good engineer is akin to saying Steve Jobs was one. The days of 1 or 2 guys working out of a garage to invent something really transformational have long been over.

Now, there was a time back in 2008/2009 when he almost went bankrupt. He said that was the most terrible time in his life. No shit. By selling a big chunk of his Tesla holdings, he’s shown that he’s at least able to learn something from his past experience.

ok. Then I take back that olive branch :smiling_face: Back to being a dumb, hypocritical twat…

1 Like

I’m starting a Remote job soon :grimacing:

That’s me!

2 Likes

My understanding is that he’s very good at misleading people and that there’s nothing worth mentioning at engineering level about him.

Is the company in Taiwan or outside the country? If it’s outside the country, do you get the normal salary local employees get?

I think for me, the biggest downside to remote working is the lack of spontaneous ideas.

For many jobs, I would say the net productivity would be similar as on site. But the lost in spontaneous ideas the way it has grown my own business would just be lost fully remote. This might not matter for some jobs but for others that require creativity, I don’t agree with remote.

1 Like

Plus, in a larger organization, the chance to randomly see people and chat and learn—at least if the organization is healthy.

Guy

This is a UK company and I’m in and from the UK.

Very unlikely there is ever any true pay equality. At my last company I had ten years experience in the systems they used and I was paid 25% less than the guy who had no experience that I had to train up.

1 Like

Not in cryptocurrency it isn’t. But generally ypur point stands.
I always laugh at how Edison ‘invented the light bulb’. Same thing, he had massive teams of engineers working on these problems. He didn’t do any actual inventing himself.

22 posts were split to a new topic: Is cryptocurrency a scam?

First part certainly checks out. dont know enough about his personal work to know about the engineering. But lots of people like to flatter him about his “genious”. Surely it cant all be BS?

He isn’t a genius. People who claim he is do it praising ideas that either were not his, or were dumb and proven so, or both things at the same time.

I’m not saying he’s totally stupid but he’s full of shit and he became rich out of luck (he did not invent PayPal, and his contribution as an engineer to the original project was reportedly crappy).

1 Like