The best socks

I have an important decision coming up. One which will have a major impact on my life (well, the footwear part of it) for the next year or more.

I need to buy twenty or so identical pairs of socks. They should have some kind of identifying mark; something that sets them apart from the other socks in the drawer, but not something that’s too embarrassing when actually worn. I’m thinking a discrete logo or something.

They need to be comfortable and versatile (cotton, not too thin, dark color). Not ridiculously expensive. But good enough to last for a while before they develop holes.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

My husband bought these socks a while ago, he raves about them. He is really picky and frugal, and he has bought 15 pr so far. Not cotton but they don’t smell. He did a test and wore a pair for three days when we were on vacation, no stink. If they stink, the company will refund your money. They have sold a lot to some European Secret Service for their troops.

They recommend hand washing with no detergent but I have been throwing in the machine and dryer and they seem fine so far (about six months).

http://www.apure.com.tw/products/sox/

They are not expensive (10 pr works out at about 175/pr, next-day delivery), have conservative colors, and logo is very small on the bottom of the sole. Options of short, long, sport, women, kids and those crazy ones with the toe shapes.

http://www.apure.com.tw/05order/order.asp

I also have some Apure socks and they’re great, especially for running hiking (quite thick though). I’d also recommend Travelfox. They’re a bit thinner, really comfortable and they last for ages.

teggs,

They now also have thin ones, without the elastic around the mid-foot. Only the ankle-length style.

[quote=“asiababy”]teggs,

They now also have thin ones, without the elastic around the mid-foot. Only the ankle-length style.[/quote]

I also got a pair of those ankle length ones for free when I bought the four thicker ones … still prefer the Travelfox ankle-length ones though.

Thanks very much for the suggestions, Asiababy and Teggs. Asiababy, I’m really impressed about the three day thing! That’s not really a requirement for me, though :slight_smile:.

I think I’ll check out the Travel Fox ones first, because it’s easier to actually look at them in the store.

I did get another recommendation via PM, for socks from this company. They look good, though a bit pricey.

Why do you need twenty pairs? :laughing:

[quote=“Buttercup”]Why do you need twenty pairs? :laughing:[/quote]It might seem like a lot. You’d think something like ten pairs would be enough, right? But I bought ten identical pairs in September and now, somehow, I only have one and a half of those pairs left, along with a whole bunch of other mismatched socks. That’s why I think I need to be totally committed about this. The day I get those twenty pairs, I’m throwing out all my others.

[quote=“joesax”]

I need to buy twenty or so identical pairs of socks. They should have some kind of identifying mark; something that sets them apart from the other socks in the drawer, but not something that’s too embarrassing when actually worn. I’m thinking a discrete logo or something.
[/quote]I can’t believe no one’s commented on the weirdness of your request. 20 pairs… OK. All identical with a discrete logo on them? WHY?

[quote]I have an important decision coming up. One which will have a major impact on my life (well, the footwear part of it) for the next year or more.[/quote]Let the mystery unfold!

Hmm. See your point. But identical socks are the path to ruin. Although it seems like a solution - lose one, you can just pair it up with another, right? - but research has shown that a surplus of identical pairs leads to rapid dimishment of capital sock stock. Tread carefully.

You know what I hate most about Britain? The train and the people. But what I hate second most is the difficulty in sourcing toe socks. I hate wearing mitten socks like a special kid. I feel like I should tie a string to each sock and thread it through my trouser legs. Oh that is SUCH a good idea. I’m patenting that. That’s MINE before anyone else gets in there.

I only have three pairs of black ankle socks and a pair of grey over-the-knee socks for when it’s cold, fwiw. I have been known to buy them then throw them away, though. No friend to the planet, I.

Anyway, sorry, not helpful, apart from the string idea.

[quote=“Buttercup”]but research has shown that a surplus of identical pairs leads to rapid dimishment of capital sock stock. Tread carefully.
[/quote]How can it be? You can only wear so many socks at once. :laughing: You’re funny.

20 of the exact same colour is kinda weird. I would buy 5 each, of 4 colours (or atleast with a slight cable design or sth) . Only use half of them. i.e. 2 of each colour (or type). So I can keep tabs on laundry and know exactly when a sock is missing. one can always dig into the reserved pairs of socks, if you lose a sock or you are done with the,.

I am surprised no one mentioned COSTCO. They seem to specialize in identical socks. I dunno the quality though.

[quote=“divea”]20 of the exact same colour is kinda weird. I would buy 5 each, of 4 colours (or atleast with a slight cable design or sth) . Only use half of them. i.e. 2 of each colour (or type). So I can keep tabs on laundry and know exactly when a sock is missing. one can always dig into the reserved pairs of socks, if you lose a sock or you are done with the,.
[/quote]

Interesting logistical management, d - keeping half in reserve in case of stock crashes. Not everyone is ready for the multicoloured theory of sock management though. Although clearly the next step, not everyone is willing to take on board something so counter-intuitive. You have to be willing to lose the best socks you’ve ever had, and have to pay for more. joesox is on his own journey, right now.

Its not that multi coloured. I mean white for sports or with sneakers. Brown for brown suits, black and navy blue. If you don’t want navy, get a diff. black with a cable.
I keep reserves of everything. Doesn’t everybody?? toothbrushes, towels, soap, and especially underwear. Oh and gifts.

No.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“divea”]20 of the exact same colour is kinda weird. I would buy 5 each, of 4 colours (or atleast with a slight cable design or sth) . Only use half of them. i.e. 2 of each colour (or type). So I can keep tabs on laundry and know exactly when a sock is missing. one can always dig into the reserved pairs of socks, if you lose a sock or you are done with the,.
[/quote]

Interesting logistical management, d - keeping half in reserve in case of stock crashes. Not everyone is ready for the multicoloured theory of sock management though. Although clearly the next step, not everyone is willing to take on board something so counter-intuitive. You have to be willing to lose the best socks you’ve ever had, and have to pay for more. joesox is on his own journey, right now.[/quote]That’s it. Not that Divea’s way isn’t a good one, for people who like some variety in their socks. But I am determined to make this thing work. If ten won’t work, maybe twenty will. And I’m willing to take things further than that if necessary.

So you won’t mind if I tell you all about making your own socks, then? :stuck_out_tongue:

You are gonna take this all the way to City Hall?

Actually, Marx n’ Spenster was good for this.

I wish you all the best. Socks are essential in the ‘feel good factor’ of attire. However there’s something very classy about an argyle pattern showing itself from under a trouser hem. Sophisticated. :laughing: