The Boiler Room

Only if you promise not to bring any bouncy smileys, and get my name right.

Count me in next time!

Sounds like very positive!

Kenneth

Successful afternoon, good variety of ideas and schemes etc.

To my thinking though there was a vital component missing. We all had ideas, some easier to do than others, and with the variety of backgrounds represented then getting peoples input from areas not directly related should not be difficult, but we also need to try and attract those that have funds to invest and are looking for good ideas to invest in.

One of the main reasons a lot a new companies flounder, is not because they are necessaarily selling bad products or even poorly run, but largely due to lack of capital.

AS we know form the various threads here on forumosa obtaining credit / loans for foreignors can be a little problematic :astonished: but if we can get people looking to invest from both small and large sums then maybe something could be done.

Getting money people in… any ideas?

I for one don’t need external funding in my venture. Therefore I would for the time being not go there in order to look for an investor.

For me, the fun is to get a good discussion of the ideas we have and by doing that make the ideas better.

also, business plans and the like could be very good to start things out. If I bring a business plan, I don’t give too much away, and I still open the door for some constructive and destructive criticism and suggestions for improvements.

That is the problem with these types of events sometimes. People can soak some of the juices in, but unless they spill some of their own juice (shit something is running down my leg) – group synergy won

Which is why we need a boiler room.

if we spend time on each others plans, and we provide valuable input, getting a good plan together is easier, and it will look credible.

Business plans are good as a guideline. Help focus and harness the energies toward a productive venture.

To me, a business is when you’ve got customers. I want to know what people are willing to buy and then go and build something to satisfy their need to fork over money for a service or a product.

Sorry :offtopic: rant, it infuriates me to deal with people here who think that meeting, drinking tea, having dinner is considered “working” :s. At some point after the introductions and obligatory get-to-know you phase is done, you either know you’re going to work together, partner together or whatever and get on with the business of making money or you move on. It’s seems to be such a time waster that so many people just want to keep on meeting and meeting and meeting… The phrase “shit or get off the can” … ugh.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]Business plans are good as a guideline. Help focus and harness the energies toward a productive venture.

To me, a business is when you’ve got customers. I want to know what people are willing to buy and then go and build something to satisfy their need to fork over money for a service or a product.[/quote]

Re meetings. Some form of confidentiallity agreement would make a group discussion of ventures work.

I have owned/ started many different ventures. It tends to start with my own needs.

I need a computer operating system and fuel in my car everyday. Damn, look where all the money goes and who makes it all.

On a more realistic level its a matter of looking at the small things you need each day and how they are made/ supplied/ served to you. Then see if there is a gap or niche to slot into.

Only if you promise not to bring any bouncy smileys, and get my name right.[/quote]
Well I don’t know about that. But i’ve got some excellent business ideas that you might be interested. For starters, I think there oughtta be a vegetarian fast-food chain in Taiwan. There are more and more people becoming vegetarians. It’s only a matter of time before someone starts a chain. And I want to be that person. I’m gonna make the veggie burgers so yummy that even meat-eaters would love them and eventually turn Taiwan into a vegetarian island. What do you think? Am I dreaming?

Well mom said that one can hope :bouncy:

So where do we go from here? Someone suggested by PM that I should ‘provide leadership’ but isn’t the whole ides to exercise your own initiative?

I guess I’m in the middle by default, and am happy with that, but do feel free to propose or start anything related to this of your own - eg workshops for buxiban owners, success groups, investor’s meetings, etc.

I’m thinking of starting a website and providing templates for anyone to outline a business idea. A seperate section would contain ‘entrepeneur profiles’, where you can present yourself. Think of it like a chamber of trade member listing, but no fee.

Hosting forums is beyond my expertise and time resources, but forumosa fulfils that need admirably anyway.

Add to that regular open meetings, and a facility to enable potential partners to talk or meet without the whole world watching, and I think we have the basis of an organisation. But after that it’s up to individuals to actually do the business.

Ideas?

I enjoyed the informal nature of the Sunday get together and the chance to network.

Maybe spin this off two ways. One as you are suggesting in a formal way and another get together style where people can just meet in a relaxed manner.

I did not suggest the PM but agree, your the leader!

I’m going to meet Elias (from Enspyre) to work out how we co-operate with his [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/were-seeking-successful-entrepreneurs-to-give-speech/15208/1 meeting[/url], but it sounds like a good thing.

I vote we try and find other outside organisations that we can go and visit every month or so.

Apparently there’s an ‘idea party’ being thrown by someone who runs ‘success groups’ on 30 January. There should be a thread starting on that very soon. I have nothing else to do on that day so I think I’ll go and check it out.

Can anyone propose anything for April?

In addition, I like the occasional social/networking event. Does anyone have a preference for days of the week or location? Not Thursdays! The next one will have to be after CNY.

I’m talking with a few people who can provide services to the disadvantaged, such as accountancy, company formations, banking, etc. Please feel free to point anyone you know in my direction. I’ll try and have some kind of directory up and running after CNY.

By then I’ll be able to offer a simple homepage for any individual or project you care to advertise online.

email lists are operational if you have a group to start. Of course you could start your own using yahoo or something, but if we can keep everything under one roof it makes it easier.

The missing link is the ‘project group’ meeting. I’d like to see regular formal meetings where we report on progress with out own projects and get feedback and advice from each other. These would have to be fairly small groups, and probably by invite only. Any idea on how this could work, anyone?

The ‘project group’ meeting is probably best handled via a “success team” format. I’m familiar with it both as a facilitator and member of them. In short, a “success team” is a format used for one purpose - helping members achieve their goals. Once member’s goals have been achieved, they drop out or go onto the next one. So, there’s some membership rotation in a success team format.

Usually, not always, “success teams” have a limited life span because when a goal is achieved, well, you’re done. Teams can have up to 8 members, I’ve been in teams up to 10 which can be a bit much at times. It is also normally a weekly commitment for 1-2 hours per meeting time. In my experience, it works best if the people in the team approach it as a long-term commitment to each other, respect each other (and like being with each other), commit to providing their resources to assist each other, and give to each other. If you’re not a giver, the team won’t work well because you’ll get the ‘freeloader problem’.

Benefits of this format for those who are interested in projectizing their ideas so that they can make it a business one day. This format helps in a number of ways:

1. Accountability. If you like your teammates and they’re helping you out, then chances are, you won’t be a twit and not do your “homework” because you’d be letting them down.
  2. Focus. Weekly format and the accountability helps you keep on track on reaching your goal. It would be like going to the gym, daily exercise or training for a marathon.
  3. Networking. Lead generation. Important for any one whether it’s for business, professional or social.
  4. Educational. Idea generation, learn from others who have breadth, depth, experience etc that could complement your efforts.

That’s the long and short of the ‘success team’ based on my experiences. YMMV.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something. Some teams can take on a “counseling” atmosphere to them depending on what their goals are. This could be a problem for some individuals but not fatal to participation. What needs to avoid being is a like an “AA” type of meeting.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]
The ‘project group’ meeting is probably best handled via a “success team” format. I’m familiar with it both as a facilitator and member of them. In short, a “success team” is a format used for one purpose - helping members achieve their goals. Once member’s goals have been achieved, they drop out or go onto the next one. So, there’s some membership rotation in a success team format.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something. Some teams can take on a “counseling” atmosphere to them depending on what their goals are. This could be a problem for some individuals but not fatal to participation. What needs to avoid being is a like an “AA” type of meeting.[/quote]

I would like to participate in something along these lines.

I chopped the start and finish of your post as it looks like the last note is just as important.

If its about advice and kick starting a project that is good, if its a lecture and brow beating then obviously that would sink it fast.

I expect something good along the lines of this started to happen when one participant at the last meeting was fishing for company names and a few people threw some wild cards around.

[quote=“Ironman”]If its about advice and kick starting a project that is good, if its a lecture and brow beating then obviously that would sink it fast.

I expect something good along the lines of this started to happen when one participant at the last meeting was fishing for company names and a few people threw some wild cards around.[/quote]

Yes, that sort of exchange and collaboration is typical in success team formats.

YC,

Why don’t you start a dedicated thread for success teams and give a bit more detail about how it works?

News for those concerned:

1. I’ve resurrected an old domain as a home for this project. I think we’ll just use the site name in future - ingeniousity.net

2. Right now it’s hosting a holding page for my newest project. After CNY that project will have its own site - taiwancell.net - and I’ll have a new site up for ingeniousity/the boiler room.

3. ingeniousity will be a not-for-profit site, although I hope that a lot of profitable projects will grow out of it.

4. I’ll host personal profiles (email addresses?) for anyone that wants. Make suggestions for format and suggested info please.

5. I’ll also start a listing of useful services such as accountants, phone services, impex people, pizza stores, etc. Again, free.

6. The most important part of the online side will be ‘project listings’. Good ideas are two-a-penny, and I’m not afraid of outlining some of mine publicly. Good people are in short supply, and the chances of someone being able to run off with your idea are small compared to the chance that someone with something to offer you will see your project and see an opportunity to collaborate.

7. Each project will have its own newsgroup list associated, membership at the discretion of the project-owner. I hope that these will become ‘development teams’.

8. I propose listing ‘making money out of forumosa’ as a project. Ingeniousity itself will also be a project, as will my work with GetSet.

9. An important subset of both the individual and project listings will be education. I’d like to start a list of course proposals along the lines of what Toe Save was looking for a while back. We have, between us, the ability to offer a lot of alternative educational products legally and effectively. The remaining issue is marketing.

10. I had a great chat with Elias Ek at Enspyre a few days ago and we both see a lot of room for co-operation. Enspyre does marketing. 'nuff said?

11. Through Enspyre I hope to attract local businesses with capital, expertise and/or other resources to explore mutually beneficial relationships with you. (And me!)

12. Enspyre has made a sizeable donation to forumosa.

13. There is a seminar scheduled for March organised by Enspyre. It’s being promoted by forumosa, oriented, Taipei Times, and others and looks like being a very good show. The list of speakers has not been finalised, partly because I’m working to get someone special who will have a very interesting surprise for you, but it looks good already. Expect a lot of useful info. He’s looking for a few ‘filler’ speakers to do five minutes each on random topics, but don’t let that detract from the heavyweights.

14. Meeting rooms: I have meeting space available, Enspyre has a nice little conference room, and numerous others of us have offices or schools we can use. Can we draw up a list?

15. Shall we have a social after CNY? Or a formal presentation session where everyone gets five minutes to outline a business opp? One evening in late February? Or before the Happy Hour on 20 Feb?

16. What happened to the ‘success teams’ idea?

17. I’ll be offline 8-14 February.

Have a good one.

[quote=“Loretta”]{snip}
[/quote]

Another boiler room participant has been coordinating with her fellow success team folks. There is a date set, Sunday February 20th for Boiler Room folks. More details to follow.

Thanks,

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote=“Loretta”]{snip}
[/quote]

Another boiler room participant has been coordinating with her fellow success team folks. There is a date set, Sunday February 20th for Boiler Room folks. More details to follow.

Thanks,[/quote]

So no happy hour?

[quote=“Loretta”][quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote=“Loretta”]{snip}
[/quote]

Thanks,[/quote]

So no happy hour?[/quote]

I told the person about the Forumosa HH and that it might be worth it to have it at the Forumosa HH. The Tavern is certainly large enough to accomodate this. If not, then I recommended to have it before the HH. Once I know more I’ll share. I hope that she’ll post directly here on Forumosa soon.