The Brothers Sun - what did you think?

I enjoyed it. It is not perfect – any story about gangsters is going to be far fetched from the perspective of my boring life, but there were some twists that were really out there (ex. Grace - which was telegraphed from a mile away, but c’mon). I loved seeing John Cho’s house with all the posters of himself all over the place and I was tickled to see Taipei in English (what little it showed of Taiwan). I am not from the West Coast, particularly SoCal, but this tracks with my impression of what life there is probably like.

What did you guys think?

I thought it was well done and entertaining. Hard to sympathize with gangsters, but aside from that it was fun. Consider hiding the mild twist spoiler in the post above.

In this positive review of the Netflix series revolves around the stereotypical depiction of women in action films and TV, a genre where they often lack complexity and depth. This trend is challenged by the series with a refreshing twist. The show begins with a familiar action-comedy premise: two brothers, poles apart in personality and upbringing, one a lethal product of their triad-boss father in Taipei and the other, a doctor shaped by their mother’s influence in Los Angeles. However, the narrative diverges from the norm by placing women at its core, imbued with rich, multifaceted motivations.

The female characters, exemplified by Michelle Yeoh’s portrayal of Mama Sun, are not relegated to the sidelines as mere accessories or romantic interests. They possess their own agendas, from seeking vengeance to pursuing career goals, often outmaneuvering their male counterparts.

1 Like

Is that the counterpart to the brother moon from dead space?