The Career Morgue 2008

What!?!?! Sniffing her chair?? :laughing:

I can understand doing that for panties but chairs? That is weird.

You just know the Singaporeans would love to flay some ABC arse (that’s Australian Broadcasting Corp for our Americanishe freunden). Especially sweet for them that this is the guy that covered the trial and execution of an Australian drug runner in Singapore.

[quote]Friends back ABC’s Peter Lloyd who may face lash
July 20, 2008 12:00am

PETER Lloyd has seen the inner workings of justice throughout Asia. From squalid Indonesian cells to the fear in a young man’s eyes preparing to go to the gallows in Singapore, the respected newsman has witnessed it all.

In snappy sound bites, the ABC’s South Asia correspondent has documented for millions of radio listeners and TV viewers the fates of some of Australia’s highest-profile criminals.

Lloyd watched as Schapelle Corby wept when Indonesian judges handed her a 20-year jail term.

He filed countless reports on the Bali Nine drug traffickers - including Renae Lawrence’s attempt to slash her wrists because she was so depressed by the squalor of her Denpasar cell.

His coverage also included Melbourne man Nguyen Tuong Van’s execution in Singapore in 2005, despite appeals for clemency.

Now it is the former Walkley Award nominee on the other side of the cameras and microphones. It is Lloyd who must face the questions and courtrooms.

Officers from Singapore’s Central Narcotics Bureau charged Lloyd, 41, with trafficking and possession of methamphetamine, or “ice”.

He was yesterday offered bail for $45,000, but it was not clear last night whether he had posted the cash. He is scheduled to appear in court on Friday.

If found guilty, he faces up to 20 years’ jail and 15 lashes with the cane under Singapore’s harsh justice system. There is no doubt Lloyd knows the law of the land in Singapore.

'Passengers arriving in Singapore are routinely advised that drug smuggling is punishable by death," he said in a report about an executed Australian drug smuggler.

“Singapore’s drug laws are among the world’s harshest: anyone caught with more than 15 grams of heroin faces a mandatory death penalty.” Which makes it all the harder to understand why Lloyd would do the things of which he is accused.

The veteran newsman is based in New Delhi, but was in Singapore following a brief holiday in Bali with his young sons. Lloyd and his wife separated about six months ago and he declared himself homosexual.

“You’d think that after doing that he would have been at personal peace with himself for the first time in a long time,” a colleague said. “So for this to happen must be devastating.”

A friend of Lloyd’s claims he was dating a Singaporean man who worked as a flight attendant for a major international airline.

His estranged wife, who is UNICEF’s spokeswoman in Indonesia, said yesterday: “I’m sorry, I’m not speaking to anybody.”

As well as adapting to recent changes in his personal life, Lloyd was preparing for an exciting switch in his professional role.

He was due to return to Melbourne next month to launch and co-host a new four-hour TV breakfast program with Virginia Trioli on ABC2.

It is believed Lloyd was thrilled to be offered the role because he wanted to travel less and see more of his sons - one of whom is said to be developmentally disabled.

The drugs charges - formally laid by a district judge and a police prosecutor at Changi General Hospital where he was treated for an eye infection - have thrown the new role into doubt.

A hospital spokeswoman said Lloyd was discharged at 1am Melbourne time yesterday and he is now believed to be in the medical facility at the Changi Prison complex.

The public broadcaster has sent its top legal adviser, Rob Simpson, to help Lloyd.

An ABC spokesman said he could not say how much taxpayers’ money might be spent defending Lloyd.

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman said the court hearing was attended by an officer from the Australian High Commission.

“He has been offered bail. His case has been fixed for next mention on July 25, 2008,” Singapore’s Central Narcotics Bureau spokesman Agnes Lim said.

Australia’s Foreign Minister, Stephen Smith, will be in Singapore next week for ASEAN talks and will monitor the case.

According to Singapore court documents, Lloyd was charged with trafficking a little less than 1g of methamphetamine to a Singaporean for $75 at a hotel earlier this month.

Police also allegedly found an improvised smoking pipe and six syringes during a search.

As a correspondent, Lloyd had reported on the rampant use of methamphetamines across Asia, especially in Thailand where the drug is known as Ya Ba, or crazy drug.

A former ABC colleague said Lloyd was extremely generous and dedicated to his children. I just think he’s had a midlife crisis," the colleague said.

Former ABC TV reporter Jacinta Tynan said she was shocked and worried for Lloyd.

“I looked up to and learned from him as a senior reporter - he is extremely hard-working and dedicated to his job and a genuinely lovely person. As a former colleague, I am shocked by the news and concerned for him,” she said.

Lloyd joined the ABC television newsroom in 1988 where he worked for three years before moving to Britain to report for the BBC and British Sky News.

Upon his return in 2000, Lloyd took up a senior reporting role with ABC television news and later with the national radio current affairs programs AM, The World Today and PM.

According to his ABC website profile, Lloyd was posted in 2002 to the Bangkok bureau, where he worked until 2006 reporting on South-East Asian affairs throughout Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and the Philippines.

A journalist who worked alongside Lloyd in Bangkok described him as intelligent and generous.

“He gets on with everybody and is also quick to help other reporters,” the reporter said.

“He is committed and passionate about the Asia-Pacific region and worked really, really hard. He just is a really good journalist and everyone is shocked.”

It is understood Lloyd met his wife, who worked as an ABC producer, at Charles Sturt University.

Lloyd was posted to New Delhi in 2006.[/quote]

Ice, a truly stupid fucking drug.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]You just know the Singaporeans would love to flay some ABC arse (that’s Australian Broadcasting Corp for our Americanishe freunden). Especially sweet for them that this is the guy that covered the trial and execution of an Australian drug runner in Singapore.

[quote]Friends back ABC’s Peter Lloyd who may face lash
July 20, 2008 12:00am

PETER Lloyd has seen the inner workings of justice throughout Asia. From squalid Indonesian cells to the fear in a young man’s eyes preparing to go to the gallows in Singapore, the respected newsman has witnessed it all.

In snappy sound bites, the ABC’s South Asia correspondent has documented for millions of radio listeners and TV viewers the fates of some of Australia’s highest-profile criminals.

Lloyd watched as Schapelle Corby wept when Indonesian judges handed her a 20-year jail term.

He filed countless reports on the Bali Nine drug traffickers - including Renae Lawrence’s attempt to slash her wrists because she was so depressed by the squalor of her Denpasar cell.

His coverage also included Melbourne man Nguyen Tuong Van’s execution in Singapore in 2005, despite appeals for clemency.

Now it is the former Walkley Award nominee on the other side of the cameras and microphones. It is Lloyd who must face the questions and courtrooms.

Officers from Singapore’s Central Narcotics Bureau charged Lloyd, 41, with trafficking and possession of methamphetamine, or “ice”.

He was yesterday offered bail for $45,000, but it was not clear last night whether he had posted the cash. He is scheduled to appear in court on Friday.

If found guilty, he faces up to 20 years’ jail and 15 lashes with the cane under Singapore’s harsh justice system. There is no doubt Lloyd knows the law of the land in Singapore.

'Passengers arriving in Singapore are routinely advised that drug smuggling is punishable by death," he said in a report about an executed Australian drug smuggler.

“Singapore’s drug laws are among the world’s harshest: anyone caught with more than 15 grams of heroin faces a mandatory death penalty.” Which makes it all the harder to understand why Lloyd would do the things of which he is accused.

The veteran newsman is based in New Delhi, but was in Singapore following a brief holiday in Bali with his young sons. Lloyd and his wife separated about six months ago and he declared himself homosexual.

“You’d think that after doing that he would have been at personal peace with himself for the first time in a long time,” a colleague said. “So for this to happen must be devastating.”

A friend of Lloyd’s claims he was dating a Singaporean man who worked as a flight attendant for a major international airline.

His estranged wife, who is UNICEF’s spokeswoman in Indonesia, said yesterday: “I’m sorry, I’m not speaking to anybody.”

As well as adapting to recent changes in his personal life, Lloyd was preparing for an exciting switch in his professional role.

He was due to return to Melbourne next month to launch and co-host a new four-hour TV breakfast program with Virginia Trioli on ABC2.

It is believed Lloyd was thrilled to be offered the role because he wanted to travel less and see more of his sons - one of whom is said to be developmentally disabled.

The drugs charges - formally laid by a district judge and a police prosecutor at Changi General Hospital where he was treated for an eye infection - have thrown the new role into doubt.

A hospital spokeswoman said Lloyd was discharged at 1am Melbourne time yesterday and he is now believed to be in the medical facility at the Changi Prison complex.

The public broadcaster has sent its top legal adviser, Rob Simpson, to help Lloyd.

An ABC spokesman said he could not say how much taxpayers’ money might be spent defending Lloyd.

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman said the court hearing was attended by an officer from the Australian High Commission.

“He has been offered bail. His case has been fixed for next mention on July 25, 2008,” Singapore’s Central Narcotics Bureau spokesman Agnes Lim said.

Australia’s Foreign Minister, Stephen Smith, will be in Singapore next week for ASEAN talks and will monitor the case.

According to Singapore court documents, Lloyd was charged with trafficking a little less than 1g of methamphetamine to a Singaporean for $75 at a hotel earlier this month.

Police also allegedly found an improvised smoking pipe and six syringes during a search.

As a correspondent, Lloyd had reported on the rampant use of methamphetamines across Asia, especially in Thailand where the drug is known as Ya Ba, or crazy drug.

A former ABC colleague said Lloyd was extremely generous and dedicated to his children. I just think he’s had a midlife crisis," the colleague said.

Former ABC TV reporter Jacinta Tynan said she was shocked and worried for Lloyd.

“I looked up to and learned from him as a senior reporter - he is extremely hard-working and dedicated to his job and a genuinely lovely person. As a former colleague, I am shocked by the news and concerned for him,” she said.

Lloyd joined the ABC television newsroom in 1988 where he worked for three years before moving to Britain to report for the BBC and British Sky News.

Upon his return in 2000, Lloyd took up a senior reporting role with ABC television news and later with the national radio current affairs programs AM, The World Today and PM.

According to his ABC website profile, Lloyd was posted in 2002 to the Bangkok bureau, where he worked until 2006 reporting on South-East Asian affairs throughout Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and the Philippines.

A journalist who worked alongside Lloyd in Bangkok described him as intelligent and generous.

“He gets on with everybody and is also quick to help other reporters,” the reporter said.

“He is committed and passionate about the Asia-Pacific region and worked really, really hard. He just is a really good journalist and everyone is shocked.”

It is understood Lloyd met his wife, who worked as an ABC producer, at Charles Sturt University.

Lloyd was posted to New Delhi in 2006.[/quote]

Ice, a truly stupid fucking drug.

HG[/quote]

What a bloody dimwit (seems to be a lot of these types within the travelling press corps these days). I mean, of all places to do drugs, why would he want to “press his luck” in Singapore? A lot of people seem to think they’re immune in Singapore. They get the nice international job, a local lass or bloke that is a notch or two above what they’re used to, they meet a lot of international elites, and they got caught up in the fast lifestyle. One has to remember that this is a government that likes to set an example with foreigners. They may make it easy for foreigners to set up “Swiss” type of bank accounts and get PR, but the government or Lee’s 100 relish bringing them back to earth. This bloke will get a long sentence.

So was Richard Quest fired from CNN, or what? After the initial news I haven’t heard anything.

Well despite the heavy penalties there is still a lot of personal use of illegal drugs in Singapore, because, like everywhere, prohibition simply does not work. Instead, lives and careers are ruined for fuck all gain to either the state or individuals.

Still, one of the more insidious aspects of meth-amphetamines is that it seems to completely destroy any vestiges of common sense. I reckon the lawyers will be angling hard to get the charge of supply dropped, but this guy is still likely screwed big time.

HG

Edit: Good question, DB. I was pottering around looking for an answer to that one and can’t see anything. I suspect, in true CNN fashion, they assume their viewers have such a limited scope for concentration that they’ve shelved him for awhile and will roll him out when they suspect all will be forgotten.

There is a lot of drug use in Singapore, particularly amongst the bored elite (less so amongst the “heartlanders.” What makes this case especially sad is the guy’s mentally challenged son back home in Oz. Now he is headed to a Changi version of Oz (HBO show).

[quote=“Dragonbones”]So was Richard Quest fired from CNN, or what? After the initial news I haven’t heard anything.[/quote]He was back a few days ago.

No, he was not fired. He’s back in action.

I wrote an e-mail in his support a few months ago, sent it to his masters at CNN.

Cool, so did I. :beer:

Cool, so did I. :beer:[/quote]

Huh! Of all the world’s causes, you guys wanted the world’s most annoying man ever back on the telly? He was an awful parody; the Hugh Grant of American journalism. It was a joke that had more than run it’s course.

HG

Cool, so did I. :beer:[/quote]

Huh! Of all the world’s causes, you guys wanted the world’s most annoying man ever back on the telly? He was an awful parody; the Hugh Grant of American journalism. It was a joke that had more than run it’s course.

HG[/quote]

And what exactly did you write? :laughing:

Barenaked Ladies singer arrested

[quote]FAYETTEVILLE, New York (AP) – Barenaked Ladies singer and guitarist Steven Page faces a cocaine possession charge after his arrest while visiting two woman at their suburban Syracuse apartment.

Steven Page faces a cocaine possession charge after an arrest early Wednesday morning.

Page, 38, of Toronto, was charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a felony that carries a maximum penalty of up to 15 years in prison, Manlius police Capt. Bill Bleyle said Wednesday.[/quote]

If I had a 1,000,000 (If I had a 1,000,000)
I’d post your bond ( I post your bond) :whistle:

(ex Japanese English Teachers know all about the above song :laughing: )

Oh, see I don’t watch much TV, so I was just foisting him on YOU. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
Dear CNN,

I really don’t think you should penalize Richard Quest for what happened in Central Park. In my opinion, it is perfectly normal for an employee to have drugs is his possession and to have a sex toy tied around his neck and pud.[/quote]

Damn, yeah, that’s pretty close. :laughing:

[quote=“Namahottie”]Barenaked Ladies singer arrested

[quote]FAYETTEVILLE, New York (AP) – Barenaked Ladies singer and guitarist Steven Page faces a cocaine possession charge after his arrest while visiting two woman at their suburban Syracuse apartment.

Steven Page faces a cocaine possession charge after an arrest early Wednesday morning.

Page, 38, of Toronto, was charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a felony that carries a maximum penalty of up to 15 years in prison, Manlius police Capt. Bill Bleyle said Wednesday.[/quote]

If I had a 1,000,000 (If I had a 1,000,000)
I’d post your bond ( I post your bond) :whistle:

(ex Japanese English Teachers know all about the above song :laughing: )[/quote]

He might have a chance to be a barenaked lady in the slammer.